• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

advice about ekkie

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Hello,
I have recently got a male eclectus who I named him Coco,
Here is what I wanted to have advice from you guys:
1 : how should I settle him down so that he get used to oir home and ...
2 : my ekkie is home bred and hand reared he comes to my shoulde and hand but when I let him in home he quickly goes to his cage like it is the safest place ....
3 : what should I feed him with since I am in Iran and I dont have access to every tropical fruit in this season I have these fruits and greens available, carrot, sprouts, broccoli, kiwi, apple, banana, pomegranate, orange, peppers and ...
4 : he is 2-3 years old and ex owner had him fed with sunflowers and millets most, how can I change it diet si he eats fruits most
Btw I have bought him dried mealworms since my vet says he is lacking protein becase his feathers are not ordered well

Thank you so much for your opinions

Attachments

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
bump,

i thought may be this forum is more active :(

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
Hi Farzad,
Sorry no one replied to you! Yes, mealworms are good for birds- I have a packet for my little budgie, Lexy. Lexy isn't very keen on veggies, either, but he does like spinach, and our breeder recommended carrots and apples.
Points to remember:
1. Grate or slice fresh food so that your electus is more curious and would try them
2. Keep millet as a treat- it is very fattening

Another excellent idea is from here: How To Get Your Bird Interested In Vegetables
"The real answer to the how do I get my bird to eat fruit and vegetables question is to look at the way you present the fruit and vegetables. If you can get their interest or even turn it into a game, you’re more than halfway there.
As more proof of that, my eclectus parrot Pepi is neurotically obsessed with getting the small black seeds out of kiwi fruit. He smears the fruit over every surface as he searches for them. My fault. This was caused because of the way in which I originally introduced him to kiwi fruit. This is what happens when you stab sunflower seeds into a kiwi fruit just to get a bird’s attention."

If you go to the link you can see how this kiwi was made into a 'toy'. Maybe you could come up with a few of your own ideas?

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
And congratulations on your electus! He looks very handsome! Wishing you and Coco a happy friendship :bliss:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Hello and thank you for your responses
Coco is getting better and better everyday and he is starting to count himself as a family member I think
Another thing I have noticed is that he is terribly afraid of dark, and it has led to destructing his wing and tail feathers, since when I turn the light out he starts to flip his wings rapidly and going up and down in cage
I have ordered a mipow playbulb for his room and it comes saturday, so I will know and wish that helps

Another thing is he is really really curious
He wants to be out of traveler cage in our car and be on my shoulder so I can not drive ... This is something I think I need to fix soon any idea on these problems?

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
At the moment his favourite food is:
Sunflower seed, miller, cotton seed, lettuce, wheat sprouts and pomegranate
My vet says I use this combination:
Sunflower seed, roasted soybeans, roasted wheat, walnut, pistachio and dried sugarless fruits
What do u think?

ABZYsEkkies

Moving in
Hello,
2 : my ekkie is home bred and hand reared he comes to my shoulde and hand but when I let him in home he quickly goes to his cage like it is the safest place ....
3 : what should I feed him with since I am in Iran and I dont have access to every tropical fruit in this season I have these fruits and greens available, carrot, sprouts, broccoli, kiwi, apple, banana, pomegranate, orange, peppers and ...
4 : he is 2-3 years old and ex owner had him fed with sunflowers and millets most, how can I change it diet si he eats fruits most
Btw I have bought him dried mealworms since my vet says he is lacking protein becase his feathers are not ordered well

I am here to help ask away

ABZYsEkkies

Moving in
Hello,

Number 1 is to just allow him to walk around the home and put treated such as millet around the cage and mostly the floor of your house to encourage him to walk around

ABZYsEkkies

Moving in
Number 2 should stop happening once answer number 1 has been done for 1 to 2 weeks

ABZYsEkkies

Moving in
Number 3 and 4 four should be solved by slowly putting any fruit or veggies into his food and slowly decreasing the amount of seeds and increasing the amount of fruit

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Thank you abzy
Can u please answer my questions on other posts?

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Hello guys,
Just wanted to mention some new odd behaviours from my ekkie:
1 : as far as I know and researched, male ekkie is not ok with a crowded house, Coco is just 180 degree different he is very active, ultra happy and talkative when we have guests in our house !!!!!!
2 : he is not a cuddly bird at all during day, he will grown and push our hand back with his beak if we try to pet him or touch any part of his body, but at night just before sleep, he begs for cuddle, he takes my hand with his beak and puts it on his back and let me pet him and touch every single spot of his body even I can expand and collapse his wings !!!!!!
3 : when we want to sleep and we say good night to him he goes up and down in the cage and flaps his wings quickly!!!!!!
It goes for 1 minute if we dont pay him any attention

Anyone has any idea what to do to fix these?

Last edited:

Mococo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
Hello guys,
Just wanted to mention some new odd behaviours from my ekkie:
1 : as far as I know and researched, male ekkie is not ok with a crowded house, Coco is just 180 degree different he is very active, ultra happy and talkative when we have guests in our house !!!!!!
2 : he is not a cuddly bird at all during day, he will grown and push our hand back with his beak if we try to pet him or touch any part of his body, but at night just before sleep, he begs for cuddle, he takes my hand with his beak and puts it on his back and let me pet him and touch every single spot of his body even I can expand and collapse his wings !!!!!!
3 : when we want to sleep and we say good night to him he goes up and down in the cage and flaps his wings quickly!!!!!!
It goes for 1 minute if we dont pay him any attention

Anyone has any idea what to do to fix these?
Hi Farzud! Welcome to the avenue and I'm glad Coco landed with someone as caring as you! And hello from my Coco to yours :)
1: This seems to depend on the bird, and sometimes just their mood. Mine was very shy with everyone when she first moved in, and is now very vocal. If I'm talking to someone over skype video or on the telephone she insists on being the conversation. If we have guests over she's pretty happy to hang out with us for awhile and then wants alone time.
2: Do you know how cuddly he was with his previous owners? This could just be an adjustment thing where he'll settle in with time. But it sounds like a great start!
3: My girl does this too, and as far as we know she's never flown. But just before tucking in she loves to flap and then rest her outstretched wings on her perch for a few minutes. I think it's just stretching before settling in.