• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a lorikeet with a broken foot

kalijenn55

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jenn
I was just given info about a rainbow lorikeet for adoption near me. Poor baby is only 8 months old. He was surrendered because he had broken his foot, and by the time the previous owners noticed, it was already set. This means he can't use it. It sticks up and doesn't bend. This makes climbing and perching almost impossible! Any suggestions?!? I saw him today and he freaked out and climbed through the bars of his cage to get me...which I guess the rescue has never seen. I definitely want to go back and get him, just not sure what my best options would be to help him stay healthy and active. Thanks guys!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
get a cage that is nice and wide, height won't matter so much.
Platform perches would be a big help. Experiment with using vet wrap on perches for more friction.
Once you have him and see how he moves you'll get more ideas.
I've heard young birds with a disability often do quite well, we have had several on here - check the "special needs crossing" section

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ladders and flattish perches in addition to platform perches. Lower food and water dishes for easier access. Consider padding the bottom of the cage with layers of paper towels, non stringy towels or non-pilling fleece just in case he falls. Hope that you can get him.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Awww, I can see his foot. Poor baby.
It looks like you two just might be good friends.
Keep us posted on how it is going, please!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Little cutie, check out the special needs forum for more assistance and good luck.