• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting 12 yr old cockatoo

Catherinemcg

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all. I am happy to be here. I am a real bird lover. I am the proud momma to 2 conures , dolly and raisin. Their real names are Dollylamma and Raisinhell. I am going to be adding a 12 yr old cockatoo to my family on Saturday. I am both really excited but nervous too. Hercules is a male and he is coming from a home who loves him dearly but circumstances dictate they cannot keep him. I will be his 3rd parent. I have read and researched for a long time before making the decision to welcome a bird of his stature into our home. I get they need tons of attention which I am willing to do. My question though is a 12 year old OK with changing families.I haven't found much on line other than cockatoo usually bond with 1 person. Has anyone out there had an issue with rehoming? And how do you make the bond.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think with time, patience & work a too wth a good bond with his precioushome will transfer to you.

hope you get some more advice from the too people as I have never had one
but someone I know got a older wild too tame.

12 is still young for a too...may be like a teenager...LOL

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and best of luck with the 'too. Post some photos of your conure as well as the 'too when you get a chance.
What kind of 'too is Hercules?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
Congratulations on your new Too. I think it's very important to set things up with your new bird while he is still new to your house. This is a good time to establish rules, routines, etc. Do you know if he likes women better than men? Lots of respect, understanding and patience will eventually help him bond to you, but it might take a while. Post pictures when you bring him home!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for giving him a home. Nobody likes change. Especially a male cockatoo in his prime. Let's not joke around. This is going to be a huge challenge. The biggest challenge you've ever taken on. The two conures are going to seem like free lunch compared to this bird.

If you stick with us and keep us informed as to what is going on we can help you a lot.

We need to know a lot more about your situation but more importantly what kind of environment your going to provide for this bird. I can almost guarantee he is not going to take a liking to the conures. Very contrasting personalities. Stranger things have happened but I wouldn't count on it.

They will learn to co-exist over time but it could be a long time. Over the long term he is going to need a safe/secure area that is not his cage but includes his cage (bird proof room or indoor aviary). You don't realize this yet but you will. I'm just trying to save you all that wasted time figuring that out.

That is also the best way to transition/rehab/rehome A large parrot

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
No one on this forum knows cockatoos and their care needs better than John. You are in good hands. When are you getting the bird? Can you take photos of where he will be located within your home? Do you have any other pets in the home besides the conures?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:
And thank you for giving this baby a loving home.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. I am currently fostering a male goffin too. I believe I am his 4th home in the past two years. Not sure how many homes he had before that. It just takes time and patience, but I think you can build a good relationship with your new too. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Dolly, and Raisin!

Like John said, you're taking on a great challenge..sit down and buckle up for the wild ride ahead. You've joined a group that will be with you and help you out tremendously with the challenge.

It will take time, PATIENCE, and a flexible attitude (on your part) to be successful with Hercules.

As you see, we have seven birds living with us. Milton doesn't really interact with any of the other birds. We also adopted a Nanday Conure in March. Milty took an instant dislike to Buddy- and vise versa- for some reason. My thought is they both have kind of the same personality...brash, feisty, and in-your face, that will clash.

We adopted Milton when he was 15 years old. He'd lived with an older gentleman all his life, and was loved and treasured. When his owner passed, Milty went to the man's daughter's house to live. Unfortunately, she could not keep Milty, and had to surrender him to a rescue, where we adopted him in March of 2010, after Cassie (our first 'too) passed from complications from egg-binding.

Milton adjusted easily to living with us, thankfully. You can read about his adventures...just go down to "Cockatoo Causeway".

Anyway, we're all here for you and Hercules...feel free to ask anything you want...:)

Catherinemcg

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! Thank you so much for the welcome. OK here goes... I am a total bird nut!!! A few years ago I rescued 7 conures and found good home for 5. I kept my original Dolly and the youngest Raisin. They both decided on their own that I was their flock. lol. Although they still want to bite me they are tame and love to spend time on my shoulder/head and eating carrots and grapes from my hand. They also like to eat McMuffins. OOPS!
It was my dream to be a rescue for all birds but reality sinks in and we do what we have to do. I didn't have the room for all the cages and it broke my heart to have to part with them as I love each one. Most of my babies came from a backyard breeder who didn't know what he was doing. I rescued one that I named Gonzo and his name suited him to a tee. Unfortunately he was inbred and had many health issues. He was close to being dead when I took him. By the time I found him a home his feathers had come back and he was happy to sit on the chair arm beside me although he did not like to be handled much. He was eating out of my hand and loved his bath time. His head was twisted to the side and the other birds would pick on him so I was really careful that the family who adopted him would only have him alone.
I have been wanting a "too" for many years. I have been kinda scared because I know they can be a handful. I watch all the funny videos on youtube and of course we all want a funny outgoing bird. If the current owner of Hercules is being truthful I shouldn't have too much of a problem since she had told me he loves everyone. I am going on Saturday to spend some time with the man and see if he likes me. He has been raised with dogs cats and other birds. I have a small dog, and a cat who is afraid of Dolly and Raisin lol. I also have 12 grandkids. Although it is rare they are here altogether they all respect my birds and know not to tease them ever, or touch unless I am with them. Birds tend to like me for some reason, I'm not sure why. My sister calls me the bird whisperer!! I spent a couple of months last year in Australia and it was amazing. The parrots and toos I saw was endless. I wanted to take them home with me. I met an old fella by the name of Charlie. He was in a sanctuary. The owner said he was 66 years old. There were many people around his cage and he spotted me. He started dancing and making a weird sound and as I got closer to him he got more excited. When I went up to his cage he put his foot through the cage and grabbed on to my finger. He wouldn't let go. He was not hurting me at all. I put my face close to his and he was trying to kiss me. The owner was astounded. She said he had never acted like that before. I spent a good hour with him talking to him and his talking back to me although he really didn't say any words I could understand. It was a brilliant experience. So I am really hoping Herc takes to me like Charlie. I appreciate all the help I can get and I don't expect Herc to be perfect. I have started to collect ripping toys and stuff to keep him occupied and hope happy. Thank you again for welcoming me so warmly.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania