• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Adopt" or buy from a breeder? Little help over here...

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello!

Please excuse all my mistakes regarding spelling and grammar. English is not my native language. Hope you will still get the point that I´m trying to make and that you can help me out :)

I´ve been thinking about getting parrots for a very long time (probably around 15-20 years or so). I don’t have any birds yet for different reasons (you can read more about those here: Animallover_84 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum) but I´m seriously considering getting some soon or at least within a few years or so. However, there´s still some things that I need to figure out; before I can make a final decision for or against getting birds.

My favorite species of all time is Caiques, but I´m also considering getting budgies/parakeets (since they are my second favorite bird species).

I have different types of animals at the moment (for example rats, mice, guinea pigs and reptiles etc.) and most of those animals are “adopted” (or at least bought from people that could not keep them for some reasons). Animals that´s unwanted makes my “heart bleed” and I want to help as many as I possibly can.

When it comes to parrots… I feel a bit conflicted however…on the one hand I obviously still want to help animals in need but…with no prior experience owning birds; I´m worried that I will not be able to handle the birds and their possible “problematic behavior”. I don´t want to get myself into something I can´t handle. Budgies/parakeets: I don´t think can cause problems that I can´t handle (they seem like pretty “easygoing” birds) so my concern is about caiques.

In your experience, is it foolish to consider “adopting” or buying unwanted adult caiques when you:

1) Have never own birds/parrots before.

2) Want to get two birds. Most birds up for “adoption”/sale unfortunately live alone. This is despite the fact that in the country I live in, there is a “rule” (not quite the law, but close) saying that you can only have one bird if you can spend all hours of the day with it (doubtful that this applies to anyone; everybody needs to go shopping for food etc. and therefore should have two birds of the same species or at least within the same family/similar species). Some of the caiques I´ve seen up for “adoption/sale” live in the same household as other bird species and it´s not uncommon that the caique hates those birds; can they still get along with another Caique? This “rule” is however not the reason for me wanting to get two birds. I simply feel it is the right thing to do (I have two dogs for the exact same reason, social animals in the need of a companion of their own species, that speaks the same language and plays in the same way etc.).

Is it hard to get two adult caiques (that´s lived alone for years) to get along and enjoy each other’s company and live in the same household and the same cage?

I´ve only got a small cage at the moment (around 105x65x100 cm which is approximately around 41-42 inches long/wide, 25,5 inches deep and about 39-39,5 inches tall…I think, not used to inches) but I´m hoping to find a space in my rather small apartment; for either building or buying a bigger cage/aviary. My believe is that all “cage-living-animals” should have as much space/as big a cage as you can possibly get and that you have the room for.

If possible, I would prefer to “adopt” rather than buying babies from a breeder…but is it easier to get two birds to get along/live in the same cage; if you put them together as babies? Impossible/unlikely with adult caiques? Having two large cages/aviaries in my apartment won’t work, at least not in the long run (unfortunately I do need some space for a bed etc. lol :)). Two parrots that´s not getting along will cause a lot of problems. My appartment isn´t big and I want to be able to have my birds out when I´m at home. Having one in the cage while the other fly´s free doesn´t fell good and that´s not something I would want to deal with. I would not clip my bird´s wings, so they would be fully flighted (if that somehow could affect the advice your giving me).

Best option/options for successfully housing two birds together and the best option/options for a beginner parrot owner?

1) Buy two “babies” from a breeder at the same time. Does it matter if the birds are siblings?

2) “Adopt/buy” two adult (unwanted) birds at the same time, that´s already living together.

3) “Adopt/buy” two adult (unwanted) birds at the same time/get them home at the same time, that´s not living together and a) introduce them immediately or b) introduce them later

4) “Adopt/buy” one adult bird and later on introduce it to another adult bird (that´s also been “adopted/bought” – both alone and unwanted birds).

5) “Adopt/buy” one adult (and unwanted) bird and later on introduce a “baby” from a breeder.

Sorry for the massive load of text, hope you have the patience to read it and help me out in my confused state of mind :)

/Animallover_84

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
First of all, what wonderful country do you live in with this rule?

Secondly, I admire you for trying to go the adoption route.

Are there any bonded caiques near you? I personally would not buy two unbonded caiques and put them in a cage together. It is asking for trouble and potential serious injury. Are you sure you dont want to consider another species such as two conures? Have you spent any time with conures? My little boy, Finn, who was adopted from a horrid situation, is a green cheek conure with as much personality as my caique. This little guy loves to snuggle and wrestle. My little girl nanday conure was also adopted from a bad home. She beatboxes and gives kisses on command. She loves to snuggle, rolling over on her back and sucking on her foot. They are beside themselves with joy when I come home from work.

If you are set on a caique, I would look at adopting a single bird, (if you cannot find a bonded pair), given your cage restraints. Are you home enough that you can provide the time and attn. that your caique will need to thrive? They are extremely active and require lots of interactive time. I work during the day and really struggle to give my caique the attention he needs. I think if you work normal hours, and have your caique out with you during the morning and night, it might work. Also, I would give it a night cage so it doesnt spend too much time in the day cage. It helps break up the monotony of his life. Also, place the bigger cage near a window so he has something to watch while you are at work. Good luck and I wish more owners (including myself!) were as thoughtful as you in selecting a bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think what rockybird told you is a very good answer to your questions.

It is not impossible to have caiques as your first bird, but it will be difficult. They are not easy. If you like a challenge and don’t feel too stressed by their constant need for attention (and do not underestimate it) you will be fine. Also you’ll need to learn a lot about training, perhaps with a clicker. Your best bet is probably a bonded pair that are already together, or 2 baby siblings.

I have 2. I did not get them at the same time. They are in the same cage part of the time now but have to be separated some. I guess they are out of the cage about 3 hours a day, play together about 2 hours inside the cage. They need to be out more and need more stimulation.

I make toys for them all the time. They love foot toys, even if it is just a piece of wood or some leather tied into knots.

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello rockybird!

Sweden, but it´s not that wonderful, believe me…and as I said many birds spend their life alone despite this “rule” so sadly it doesn´t really make that much difference. There´s a lot of rules and regulations concerning all types of animals; some are great and others just plain ridiculous. The biggest problem however is that lots of people (specifically people with little knowledge about animals) either doesn´t know these rules exists or they just don’t care; leaving animals in tiny cages, with no companions even if the “rules” says otherwise.

I haven’t seen many caiques up for “adoption” and the birds that´s usually “available” are birds living alone (I´ve seen birds from around two to about 6-7 years old = long life a head of them). The lonely birds are the once that really breaks my heart, and in my opinion, they deserve a friend more than anything…however I do understand if this is impossible (for a beginner like myself).

The way I feel for the moment and really for all those years of thinking about getting birds, I guess… (even though I was looking at other bird species as well) is that it will be caiques (or possible budgies/parakeets) and if it turns out that´s not gonna work/doesn´t fell 100% right…then I won’t get any birds at all. I don´t want to get birds that´s not my dream-birds and feel as though I made the wrong choice. This is a once in a lifetime decision (at least when it comes to caiques) and I´m not going to get birds for the sake of getting birds…it needs to be the right birds or no birds.

I´m not going to get only one bird because 1) Not ok in my country with the exception of being with the bird 24/7 or the bird is aggressive to all other birds…however I can only accept the aggressive to all others part; because no human can ever replace a bird, no matter what. 2) To me having only one bird is cruel and I´m against animal cruelty. I refuse to contribute to a bird feeling lonely, sad and depressed for its entire life.

I have an injure that prevents me from working more than four hours (50%) a day and thus I´m at home a lot, with my animals. If I get birds I plan (hope at least) to use the cage I described as a night cage/extra cage and build/buy a bigger one to use as the main cage (that´s… if I can figure out a way to fit a massive cage in my appartment). The cage I have at the moment looks like this one 106.68cm BonAvi Parrot Cage with Side Play Pen | Temple & Webster (accept it´s missing the seed guard/scatter guard on the bottom and the play-area/perch on top of the roof of the lower part of the cage). My cage is a second-hand cage, so I’m not exactly sure about the model, although it looks like the one in the link above.

I´m always doing a lot of research before getting a new pet and especially when it comes to animals living as long and requiring as much as parrots do. It needs to feel 100% right both for me and in the end for the animal/animals in question. I´m doing my absolute best not to contribute to all the unwanted pets that´s in need of a new home. When I choose a pet, I commit to taking care of it, its entire lifetime.

Thank you for your answer and input :)

/Animallover_84

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I wish you well on your parrot journey.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am always in favor of adoption. There are so many birds out there in need of good homes. Both my tiel (who passed away) and my cockatoo were rehomed birds. Neither of them had problems. Often there is a misconception that because a bird is being rehomed it has a problem. I can tell you usually it's the person who had the problem. They moved and couldn't take the bird, had babies and the bird was too much work, didn't have time for the bird, didn't realize how much work the bird was, etc. Or in the case of my cockatiel, his owner passed away. Have you met any caiques or other birds in person? I think that's the best way to determine what species is for you. If you would come across two birds already together, great. But otherwise, it may be easier for you as a new bird owner to start out with one and then get a second.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don't have caique experience so no advicer here, except that I think you are doing a great job researching! @Eloy is from Sweden as well perhaps she has some suggestions:)

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for replying!

I have a "quick" question in need of an answer :) What are your thoughts on having the previous owner/owners come to visit the parrot (in case of an adoption)? Good or bad idea? I´m thinking only about the parrot when I´m asking this question. Will it be hard for the parrot to know where he/she belongs etc.? Will the parrot feel abandoned once again when the previous owner/owners’ leave?

Ok...so hypothetically (;)hehe) I may or may not have found ONE parrot (nr 1) of interest. This bird (hypothetically of course:D) seems just about as perfect for me and my situation that any bird can be:heart:. A few years old aka. Passed sexual maturity and the problems related to “teen-hormones” etc. which seems easier to handle as a beginner, already used to and completely cool with dogs (great when you´ve got two of those), used to wearing a harness (which is absolutely perfect) etc.

My plan may hypothetically be to buy another parrot (nr 2) at a later time and hope to find a match to this one (nr 1). In this hypothetical situation I have only found the first bird (nr 1) and have no idea about the next bird (nr 2) …apart from the fact that I want two birds in the end. Worst case scenario: I will have to find a way to fit another cage/aviary in my small apartment…do you really need a couch? Kitchen table? Bed? hehe. I´m still a 100% convinced that the best thing you can give to a parrot is another parrot so this is still the plan.

In this hypothetical situation the previous owner of the first bird (nr 1) has asked to be able to come visit “if they ever end up in the neighborhood”. Is this a good or a bad idea (from the parrot’s point of view)? This particular parrot has only lived with the current owners for one or two months, give or take (but due to some unforeseen reasons they can´t keep the bird). The owners seem genuinely broken up about having to give their bird up…so I feel inclined to let them visit... but at the same time, the parrot didn´t live with them for very long so… what´s best for the bird?

/Animallover_84

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just my 2 cents, it's a really bad idea. However.... in some cases they insist that they ought to be able to see the bird, otherwise you have some nefarious scheme up your sleeve. Did you see the thread where @hrafn (who lives alone) didn't want to have them (a couple) over and ended up not getting the bird?

I say no. But OTOH I've had people say they were going to come visit and they never showed up -- out of sight, out of mind.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just my 2 cents, it's a really bad idea. However.... in some cases they insist that they ought to be able to see the bird, otherwise you have some nefarious scheme up your sleeve. Did you see the thread where @hrafn (who lives alone) didn't want to have them (a couple) over and ended up not getting the bird?
:sad11::sad10:

As far as visits go, I say follow your gut 100%. If you don't get any bad vibes and you're willing to allow visits then that's all good, but if you're even a little uncomfortable with the idea, trust your instincts; they rarely lead you astray.

The bird him/herself may be upset, or may not care. That's largely down to their personality and it's hard to say how they'd feel or react.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If you are okay with it, I say yes:) like the others say, go with your guts. I don’t think it Will be very difficult for the bird, as they Will only be visiting(the bird can’t Feel abandoned if you are right there reassuring her:) ) and the bird was only with them for a short time. @Garet has a lovie whose previous caretaker sometimes visits. For all you know they never Will visit though:)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If you are okay with it, I say yes:) like the others say, go with your guts. I don’t think it Will be very difficult for the bird, as they Will only be visiting(the bird can’t Feel abandoned if you are right there reassuring her:) ) and the bird was only with them for a short time. @Garet has a lovie whose previous caretaker sometimes visits. For all you know they never Will visit though:)
I have three now. :p Micah comes to visit Steven and Vegeta. I think it's kind of fun, but these are people I trust. Bob is a former cop who comes over with two family members, as he's on crutches, and Micah's... Micah. We spoke for about two months before meeting up. They both also had very good online presences. Bob hals lots of YouTube vids of him and Yen and Micah volunteers at perroquetsecours and has an Instagram full of Stevie.

But, if you're not comfortable with the person, you should always ask to talk to them online for a while first and then decide if you're okay with it. Your life is priceless, you only get one of those.