• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding a Senegal!

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone, I'm a long time parrot owner and wanting to add a Senegal to my flock of 4 African Greys, English Budgie's, and 3 Linneolated parakeets. You've probably had this question asked so many times so I apologize in advance, but having a hard time deciding on whether to add a male or female senegal to our home. None of our Greys interact together, and I realize the Senegal will have a separate playstand as well. But what I am wondering is- don males or females make better pets? What are the differences in the personalities of a male and female? Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Male vs Female...??? Who really knows for sure. Each bird has their own individual personality. My male Senegal is sweet but someone else could have a male Senegal who is nippy and standoffish.

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Yes that is true, i am a person who tends to research everything thoroughly before i act, and through research I have been seeing many people say males are more aggressive and females not so much, but yes, it does just depend on the bird itself, i guess within my large flock, I should already know that every bird doesn't fit the "standard". Thanks for your comment though, I appreciate it and good to know your male is sweet as i have put deposit on a male.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I dont think theres much difference in behavior other then the usual hormal stuff, i know a few senegals both male and female, and they all are their own unique Personlity's :) the most i portant question is, are you going for a young bird, or a rehome?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. When will you be getting your baby? Did you meet him?

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! I haven't met the little one yet, just put a deposit down on he or she. First pick was a male then if they don't have male then female of course. They seem so hard to find around my area, the baby won't be weaned for another couple months. One thing I must say though, is that I met a little Meyers today, a little male who's just weaned, and fell for him as well, lol. Keep reading all these things on the net saying they are noisier than the senegals but I have no idea, he was a sweet heart and if i hadn't put a deposit down on a Senegal i prob would've taken him home

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to go the bird you connect with and vice versa. If you are drawn to the Meyers then perhaps you can get your deposit back. How old are the baby Senegals? Do you get to visit them?

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The baby senegals are a month old. This prob sounds extreme but i met a lady at the bird shop who works there, she has been there for awhile working. She is super nice too, she helps handfeed and takes care of the babies. Anyways, she mentioned today, that one of her own birds died last weekend of borneovirus. Should i be worried about the daily contact with this Meyers baby or no? Just made me super worried to take him as i don't know how that disease is spread. I don't know if she ever had this baby at her home but she takes care of the birds at the shop

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Also-this is a different bird shop than where the senegal babies are, it is one that I purchase my pellets and supplies from

PaleoParrot

Moving in
Real Name
elizabeth lester
I too am getting my first sennie and put a deposit down on first pick male! I was also very curious if there was a sex difference, especially in noise as I keep reading "he" before someone describing a particuarly noisy poice. We are paying extra to get a top floor, edge apartment, but I'm still looking for anything to reduce the noise just in case.

PaleoParrot

Moving in
Real Name
elizabeth lester
You need to go the bird you connect with and vice versa. If you are drawn to the Meyers then perhaps you can get your deposit back. How old are the baby Senegals? Do you get to visit them?
How young can they be and you still know if you'll click? As far as I know no one else has put a deposit on any of the four available and I get to meet them all in a few week to take my pick (they will be a little less than two months), but then I need go to Utah for 7weeks and will come back to pick mine up. The others may very well be taken by then... Also as the breeder has very enthusiastically promised me picture updates and to begin adjusting mine to a harness I purchase (because I requested it) I think it is assumed I will pick mine before my trip...