• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding a budgie? Difficult choices!

MommaMorgie

Meeting neighbors
It seems people ask frequently in all forums I've read about when you should and shouldn't get a second budgie. I have done a lot of reading on the subject and still feel torn. My budgie is young, and has been with me for 3 months. He is great! We have a great bond, and he goes to everyone in the family. I am a stay at home mom, so he gets plenty of attention. I have been thinking of adding a second budgie for a few reasons despite having lots of time for just the one. I love them, and their antics. I've never owned two bonded birds! We travel (not a ton), and it seems like it would be nice if he had a bond that doesn't occasionally leave for a few days. If we are blessed with another child there may be a period where I have less time. It seems easier to get him a friend his own age while he is young and I have plenty of time to form a bond with a new budgie. However, I don't want to lose his bond to me. He seems happy the way things are. HELP! I just can't decide! I really want a second, and I know lots of you have multiples. I just want to know I can have a bond with two if I do things right, as opposed to losing my current bond and never bonding to the new addition. (I would quarantine and keep them separate for some,time initially to form a bond first before introducing birds)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They bond much more readily to their own kind than to people. That said, if you have a good relationship with your current budgie, adding another budgie won't harm it (as long as he gets his usual attention from you). And he will be happy to have a companion.
The downside is you will have more trouble bonding with a new budgie when he already has a budgie friend. However, if you quarantine the new one in a separate room (which you should do if possible), this allows you some time to work on taming the new arrival. But chances are good the new one will never be quite as tame as the first.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies seem to thrive better and be happier if they have a cage mate. Mine certainly did,