• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding a bird to the family?

Jayluu1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Luke Jones
I have a female cockatiel that I've had since she was a few months old. She recently turned 13. Having a bird for so long, I obviously have a very special bond with her. However my job makes it so I'm gone most of the day five days a week and I know thats not the best for her emotional health. That and I'm going to be starting a career that could take up even more of my time, so what I'm wondering is if its a good idea to get another cockatiel to keep her company while I'm out of the house. I realize this could potentially make her detach from me and bond more with the other bird, but I'm willing to do that if it means she is less lonely. I guess what I'm asking is if thats even a good idea to get a younger companion for an older bird; will she bond with it? Will she hate it and grow reclusive and depressed? Or is there no way of telling and it just depends on the bird. I have no experience with this and any tips and advice would be so helpful.
Thanks.
Luke

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There really is no way of telling... but I can say that I have an 18 year old cockatiel whom I've had since she was 5 months old. A month after getting her, I found myself with a cherry headed conure. I had budgies at the time, which she got along with fine, but never bonded with. She did, however, bond with the conure and eventually became cage buddies. The conure was far older though, and after 8 years, passed on.

Casey has always been a flock bird with all other birds, regardless of species, and has always remained sweet and loving through the years. However, she has never bonded with another bird the way she had with the conure. She views the other birds as her flock mates and gets upset when separated from them, but she's not close to any. She doesn't preen the others, or sleep next to them.

18 years later though, she still demands physical attention in the form of scritches!

You are coming from a stand-point of having one bird potentially by herself all these years. I can't say no, you shouldn't get her a companion, but I also can't say that they'll get along... it would be best to have a second cage and everything for it for quarantine purposes and in the event that they don't get along. Even if they don't get along, they can still benefit from having each other around. Rare for that to not be the case.

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Sounds like ur trying to do right by your bird! After doing some research myself I dont want to keep birds alone anymore...even if they do have to have separate cages I think seeing someone of their own kind helps make them happy. There will have to be a quarantine for 30 days and maybe she will bond with this new bird who knows? But I think whatever is best for the bird! Good luck!!

Jayluu1

Real Name
Luke Jones
Sounds like ur trying to do right by your bird! After doing some research myself I dont want to keep birds alone anymore...even if they do have to have separate cages I think seeing someone of their own kind helps make them happy. There will have to be a quarantine for 30 days and maybe she will bond with this new bird who knows? But I think whatever is best for the bird! Good luck!!
Thanks so much:)

Jayluu1

Real Name
Luke Jones
There really is no way of telling... but I can say that I have an 18 year old cockatiel whom I've had since she was 5 months old. A month after getting her, I found myself with a cherry headed conure. I had budgies at the time, which she got along with fine, but never bonded with. She did, however, bond with the conure and eventually became cage buddies. The conure was far older though, and after 8 years, passed on.

Casey has always been a flock bird with all other birds, regardless of species, and has always remained sweet and loving through the years. However, she has never bonded with another bird the way she had with the conure. She views the other birds as her flock mates and gets upset when separated from them, but she's not close to any. She doesn't preen the others, or sleep next to them.

18 years later though, she still demands physical attention in the form of scritches!

You are coming from a stand-point of having one bird potentially by herself all these years. I can't say no, you shouldn't get her a companion, but I also can't say that they'll get along... it would be best to have a second cage and everything for it for quarantine purposes and in the event that they don't get along. Even if they don't get along, they can still benefit from having each other around. Rare for that to not be the case.
Thanks so much, that was very helpful. Having separate cages was something I hadn't thought of and I think I will end up doing that. Worst case scenario, they will at least be able to see and talk to each other in the same room, if she doesn't necessarily like physical interaction with the new bird.