• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Add a new macaw

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Aaaaah
So what big species you guy recommend for apt? I love big parrots my wife loves small ones...
And as i said i own my apartment and getting a house like those in U. S. Is not possible in our country

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
African grey.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
African grey.
Hate those though they are super popular in our country
They are too sensitive and emotional whicj can easily become feather plucked
Also i dont like their color and...

Last edited:

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
Also i have a experienced vet as well
The only thing is sound level
I Have not heard a macaw scream sound
But i am dealing with a sun conure already
Actually 3 sun conures :D
Oy vei are you in for a surprise!

I am an apartment dweller, but my neighbors have grown accustomed to Sydney. The one time someone tried to complain, they were effectively shut down when I suggested a discussion about their incessantly barking yip-yip (dropkick) chihuahua.

For a geriatric macaw with pulmonary issues, Syd never ceases to amaze me with his volume sometimes!

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
What u guys think about getting a female baby eclectus?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Pretty birds but do come with there own special nutritional needs.

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Macaws and apartments don't typically mix. My GW has lived with me in 3 different apartments (college student so graduated and moved, not evicted :D) and I have never received any sound complaints. She is oddly quiet though. Also, she is 10 (adopted her at 6) so that really hyper baby and toddler stage was past. On the other hand, I would not consider having my B&G, who is only 4, in the apartment. She would likely get me evicted. :p Volume is definitely bird by bird. With a baby B&G, while possible?? it is very unlikely to work out.

If you have 3 suns plus the otheres, which are considerably more piercing than a macaw, then there is a small chance of the neighbors being okay with the macaw... especially if they met the macaw and built a rapport etc but the odds are definitely not in your favor. Any shot of having the rare quiet bird is slightly improved if you adopt an older bird who is settled and in the "what you see is what you get" category. I believe Hankmacaw and a couple others on here also have macaws are unusually quiet as well so they are out there...I would just hate to see you get your baby, do great for the rearing and beginning, and then it all go south and you or the bird have to potentially move or be rehomed. :(

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I know they have this very piercing, unique cry and they have some diet requirments...I'd say head over to the Eclectus area for more expereinced input. :) Best of luck!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd advise against getting an unweaned baby of any kind. Even if you are experienced, most people that are willing to sell a baby unweaned are not looking out for the best interest of their birds and are therefore more likely to cut corners involving disease prevention and nutrition. Volume may or may not be an issue in your situation. I also would suggest an african grey for a larger species. Get a recently weaned baby or a well adjusted adult for rehome whatever you choose.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
I Am not okey with weaned babies
But i went over getting a mac, SADLY :(

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
My blue and gold is pretty quiet, but the greenwing is incredibly loud. They are much louder than conures, however I find a sun conure's scream far more annoying. Of course there are quiet macaws, but all of them will scream at some point... And boy is it loud when they do.

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
I now have a severe macaw but have had a blue and gold. The blue and golds in my opinion are louder but the severe is pretty loud for his size lol. I'm in an apt on third floor and haven't had any complaints (yet). He isn't a huge screamer and when he does it's because he was put in his cage while i've gone to do errands or appointments. He wants attention the second i walk in and if i don't go to him within 5 minutes or so he sounds off. I've had him a year in June and he turned 16 last september. He came from an abuse/neglect home but overall is really a good bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My Blue & Golds are pretty darn loud. Not as loud or often as my Hybrids but pretty darn loud. They all drown the cockatoos calls in volume for sure.

My girl at work yells if she thinks she should have attention, which is all the time. ;) My boy at home yells if someone walks by, something scares him or he sees a squirrel... we have a LOT of squirrels. ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Annie has glass-shattering volume, but she's not noisy, thank God. Petey has 2 volumes: whisper/mutter & ear bleeder. Daff is pretty loud, too, in volume. If you're close and she really hollers you can almost feel it. Harry's call is piercing but infrequent and not of the same volume as the other 3. Any of them would cause neighbor complaints in an apartment.

SeverelySweet

He isn't a huge screamer and when he does it's because he was put in his cage while i've gone to do errands or appointments. He wants attention the second i walk in and if i don't go to him within 5 minutes or so he sounds off.
Oh good....then it's not just Syd that acts like this! Maybe it's a Severe thing lol

doodadz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leilani
My blue and gold is the quietest of my bunch but that is relative. When 1 starts they all join in joyfully and it rocks the neighborhood. I live on almost 3 acres and I can hear them a mile away. I agree with the previous poster that said it is most difficult to impossible to predict potential volume from a bird. There are so many contributing factors. My severes used to be quiet.... not so much any more. My long time residents have taught them some bad habits... bad words... in another home they might be quiet again. Just hard to tell. I would hesitate to place a large bird in an apartment.