• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Active Herp Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmenellie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Sooo, I have a gecko quite by accident... sort of. As you may know, I work in a pet store, and a guy walks in and tells me about a gecko he found. He works in the shipyards, and usually the freight from places like hawaii and indonesia are filled with geckos, dead geckos. This one was alive however, and he had become kind of attached to in the the last few hours and wanted to know how to take care of it. We went over the basics of reptile care, terrarium, lighting, crickets, humidity, all of that, and after looking at the prices of light bulbs, he decided he didn't really want the gecko anymore. He asked if someone would take it. I told him to go talk to the girls in the specialty pet department. No one wanted it. So, being a sucker, I was like "ok! I'll take him."

I now have a very pretty gecko in a warm, humid tupperware type set up (yes there is airflow.). I was flipping through books and have discovered it's a gold dust day gecko, native to Madagascar but also introduced to Hawaii. (the freight was from Hawaii.) But I don't really know how to take care of it and I can't find a lot of information. I checked out a few forums, but non of them are very active. Do any of you know of an active reptile hoppyists forum?

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
You're welcome. I looked in my bookmarked sites because I thought I had a good reptile forum bookmarked, but it looks like the only reptile one I have bookmarked is a bearded dragon forum. The one I gave you looks like it might be good though.

Markie

Strolling the yard
Geckosunlimited.com

Not sure how active it is anymore, but they have an entire section on day geckos and you could read through older posts to get a lot of info.

Brentt

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brentt Highfill
You're welcome. I looked in my bookmarked sites because I thought I had a good reptile forum bookmarked, but it looks like the only reptile one I have bookmarked is a bearded dragon forum. The one I gave you looks like it might be good though.
Do you recall the forum for beardies?

Carmenellie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
T_T This is what I get for taking care of the little booger. When I took him home he was dehydrated, chilled, and lethargic. I made him a nice steamy makeshift habitat and fed him baby food. So of yesterday I leave to go buy a terrarium, come back, and he's turned into a friskie ninja and escaped. Uuuuuuughhhhh...... However, I put his tupperware on the floor with food, water, a hide, and a heat lamp, and another bit of food upstairs, so I'll be checking for him periodically. Problem is, he's a day gecko, so I can't turn off the lights to make him come out of hiding. XD The cat's not allowed inside for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.