• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Acceptable environment temperature?

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
Usually we live somewhere with very comfortable and regulated temperature, but we're home for a month or so, and my house is not well insulated at all. My dad doesn't want to let me run the heat to keep Cody comfortable since I can't figure out what is the acceptable minimum (or median) temperature anyways. What is the range in which linnies are happiest/healthiest? If I can give my father numbers of importance he may be more willing to be flexible...

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Birds are very adaptable. If your not cold, they won't be either as that is what their feathers and down are for, to fluff up and keep them cozy warm.

Over the years I usually kept the house at 62 at might and maybe 64 during the day. Now that I am home and working on the computer I do tend to keep it up a little warmer since I am just sitting here and not generating much of my own body heat.

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
See here's the problem, I'm always cold! I just assume Cody is too but it's usually around that range (when I use heat for me, though when no one's around it gets colder). Thanks :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
64F nights, 70F days. My birds do really well with this. I also bought a bird heated perch for them to warm up on if they get chilled and I have two of those cage heaters you bolt to the bars and plug into the wall. No problems over the past ten years with these measures to keep the birds warm. The key is to not make abrupt changes from warm to cold; make them gradual.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Depends what temperature the bird is acclimatized to. 10-15 degrees higher or lower than the "normal" temperature for an extended period of time is going to be a problem.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Linnie's can live in outdoor temperatures and even play in the snow (they do have an insulated enclosure they can retreat to). My house gets down to 58 F at night and sometimes as low as 52 for a few days. Both my canaries and linnies do fine...the canaries even take baths in their really cold water (although not as feather soaking as in the warmer months). You shouldn't worry too much about the linnies, they are cold tolerant birds, I made sure of that before I got any because I knew my Dh would not turn up the heater for the animals. You can offer him a little sheltered spot to retreat to if you feel he's too cold.