• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aaannnd I should stay out of Petsmart...GCCs have the gravitational pull of a large celestial body..

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
While I was shopping around for toys and things, what should I do but walk by the live birdie section. And what should they have there? A Pineapple Green Cheek. A young one. And the little devil proceeds to do everything in his/her power to get my attention. I now understand why they have the magnetic pull of a large moon. Rubbing his/her cheek against the plexi-glass, turning the head upside down to peek at me, following me as I walk by (didn't fly, wings clipped.), hanging sideways and upside down and pulling out all the stops to be absolutely and ridiculously adorable. Even my teenage son, who is never impressed and told me he didn't really want a bird was practically begging me to take the little beak baby home. I was genuinely impressed with his ability to entrap my grouchy teen as well. He wanted to call the birdie Joker, because of his/her colors and he likes the character. Well played, little bitey face, well played. I resisted the temptation, but feel like the worst person in the world for not getting him. Acck, help...:sad5:

Last edited:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Oh, I was in Petco last week. They had a GCC there. Ask if they knew the sex of the bird. No was the answer. I ask if they knew the age? No, again. The poor guy will not interact with anyone. I was told he had been there since at least May. Broke my heart. If I didn't think it would cause a divorce 20190731_133643.jpg , I would adopt him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too almost once left with a conure from Petco. That's part of the reason I no longer go to Petco. Conures are adorable and suck you in.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ask if they knew the sex of the bird. No was the answer. I ask if they knew the age? No, again. The poor guy will not interact with anyone.
Can they not get info from tracing the band ID?

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
Went back. The employee said the breeder typically only sells them males. What??? She picked him up, etc. of course he bit her, because she keeps grabbing and moving him. She’s gentle, but he’s definitely doing the bitey thing, left a nice triangle dent in hand behind her pointer finger. Instead of just having him step up, you are doing stuff the little raptor doesn’t like, duh. Bite, bitey bite. Most of them weren’t hard, but definitely telling her off for getting fresh. On his perch, he just looks somehow like he doesn’t feel good. Not acting like the same, Happy go lucky little fid . Not the same energy, not interactive, scratching A LOT, feathers not as smooth- something just not right. ☹ Will check on him today, and if no improvement, will tell store manager something is wrong.

Last edited:

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
I get to go meet the naked beans tomorrow and hang out in the Bird Room. I want to see if I have any reactions to bird dander and feathers. So far, furry critters are becoming my kryptonite. :(
I have developed allergies since the beginning of menopause and I may need to get allergy shots because of the rats. I'm miserable. Itchy eyes, itchy skin, feeling rotten. Moreso than just with the seasonal pollen DeathStars.
So, off to the doctor I go. I totally understand hormonal *birdiness*, because it has been hell for me. I feel like biting often lately. Bite bite bitey bite bite :atomic:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
. I want to see if I have any reactions to bird dander and feathers. So far, furry critters are becoming my kryptonite. :(

I hope all goes well.
But here´s a thought, if you are allergic to the dander and feathers, maybe you could see if there are any birds near you in shelters or on craigslist with PBFD.
You could offer them a loving home when other bird owners that would love to take them home can´t.

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
I went to visit the bird shop/rescue, and so far, no reaction to being in rooms with more than 30 birds. Not absolute proof, but a good first sign. Got to pet some parrotlet hatchlings that are little blue, turquoise, soft grey bundles of quills and begging beaks. After caressing them, one baby repeatedly started to go to sleep at my touch. The other 2 kept begging. Heart melting little feather ball.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I get to go meet the naked beans tomorrow and hang out in the Bird Room. I want to see if I have any reactions to bird dander and feathers. So far, furry critters are becoming my kryptonite. :(
I have developed allergies since the beginning of menopause and I may need to get allergy shots because of the rats. I'm miserable. Itchy eyes, itchy skin, feeling rotten. Moreso than just with the seasonal pollen DeathStars.
So, off to the doctor I go. I totally understand hormonal *birdiness*, because it has been HE double hockey sticks for me. I feel like biting often lately. Bite bite bitey bite bite :atomic:

I had 3 cockatiels and my asthma almost killed me before I realized it was the dander from the birds. I have a GCc and 2 pineapple GC. No dander, no asthma!