• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A strange observation about plucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I noticed that Ella is plucking when I hold her. At first I noticed at night. On two occasions when I'm holding her and have her wrapped up in a blanket she ducked in and pulled out fluffies. I usually say "NO" and I put her back to her cage. This happened twice. Yesterday afternoon I had her wrapped up and I took her outside for some fresh air and a little sunshine. It was about 65 here in NJ. I found a nice sunny spot, had her wrapped in a baby blanket, just her head out and she did the same things, ducked into the covers and pulled out a feather.

So this leads me to believe there is some correlation to snuggling or holding her and plucking. So I guess I should avoid snuggling with her for a bit.:mad: I enjoy our snuggly time

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
When you say she pulled out a fluffy, I'm assuming you are talking about the down feathers. She may not be plucking at all if that's the case as those come out pretty easily when being preened. I'd pay more attention to actual feather destruction than the down unless she's removing so much down from a single place that she's leaving it completely bare...

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
well, down is pretty much all she has right now, except for some pin feathers. No, she pulled them, She even screams out -- that's what alerted me. I thought I did something and then I saw the downy feather in her mouth. Maybe I try holding her but no snuggling in the blanket-- no blanket -- so for now we can't go outside.

I don't notice her plucking or pulling these out when she wears the poncho, only when I hold her and have her wrapped up in the blankie

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I know that scream, it is terrible, it goes right down your spine.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Yes it does. So maybe the blanket is a trigger or the swaddling is a trigger because I've seen her preen without pulling any feathers out. I've watched her preen for up to an hour and no feather pulling or pulling out downy feathers.

Also prior owner says she likes to snuggle especially at night so she was probably held alot at that time.

Note: She's a rescue. Had her for about a month, sadly already fully plucked and naked

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I usually say "NO"
That was a huge reward for doing it.

She does not associate the cage with pulling those feathers. You should not make a big deal about any of it and just treat it like a non event and use distraction to change her focus. Avoid creating those situations. No more cuddly towel if it was me.

Last edited:

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
thank you. so I will try holding her minus the cuddly blanket and maybe offer chew toys or treats or something else to do with the beak as a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.