• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A second Pi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
Ok, so I see many of you have more than one Pi...I don't imagine all of them are related and were brought up together, so at one point or another you had to introduce them to each other, right?

I have a female BH Pi (2 yrs) and I have the opportunity to get a female WC (4 yrs) and seriously thinking about it....BUT...is two females a good idea?
....just 'cuz they're both Pionus, does it mean they'll get along?
....is they're a good and bad/ right and wrong way to do this?
....is there a chance they hate each other and end up at each others throat?

I just don't know if I have enough time to spend with both of them seperately EVERY day...so I'd want them both out at one time...
So before I get myself into this, do any of you multiple bird "owners" have some helpfull words?

-H-
:bhp:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is never a guarantee with any birds that they will get along. Doesn't matter age, gender, species....there is always a chance that they will never get along. So you must be prepared for that. Are they both flighted? If so, it will be much harder to keep them separate if this happens.

The best way is to take everything super slow. Start them off in different cages in different rooms, ideally for a 30 day quarantine. This will get them used to each other's noises from a far. Here is some good advice from a website about Greys (Living With Merlin: Introducing The Second Parrot), but the philosophy should be the same:

"A FEW SUGGESTIONSBringing in a new flock member takes a lot of time and effort, no matter the species type and track record of the parrot (ie.,..second home, etc). Here are a few suggestions to consider, should you choose this path:

Keep them separated!!!
There will always be some levels of conflict when a new flock member is introduced, and therefore, it is wise to keep them physically separated in different cages and if possible, in different corners of the room, so that they feel they have their own territories. Do NOT put them in the same cage unless it is their idea----and after a long period of introduction (sometimes many, many months ----or never). Parrots can be pals and keep each other company, even living in separate cages.

Prepare your current flock.
As stated by Sally Blanchard many times, prepare for the new arrival by setting up its cage beforehand, fiddling with the cage, and talking to an imaginary parrot or stuffed parrot for a time, before introducing "the real thing" to the flock. Or if the arrival is an overnight surprise, prepare your flock while the new one is in quarantine, by preparing its "empty" cage in the bird room, playing with an imaginary bird and introducing the birds from a distance, as they whistle to each other from room to room.

Observe, observe, observe!
Observe the behavior of your flock and the new arrival. What kind of posturing is going on? Who acts dominant? Who does not? What are the personality similarities and differences? Observe your own behavior. How are you interacting with the flock? Are you the center of intention, or is there more of a flock dynamic going on? How are you handling the relationships in your flock, and how are they reacting?

Set up flock guidelines.
You ARE the flock leader, and therefore, it is your job to set the tempo for the flock. Similar to the first child/second child dynamic, acknowledge your first parrot as the "top bird/first child" (this doesn’t necessarily include the smaller birds, such as budgies, canaries–but depends on your relationships), whether or not it is the strongest or more dominant. Give it certain privileges that make it feel secure in its position in the family flock. Examples include: going to it first or letting it out of the cage first; letting it stay up a little later; keeping certain "special games" between the two of you, such as playing on a certain towel or bed, without other flock members present; letting it ride in the front seat (if you don’t have air bags on the rider’s side); or letting it eat dinner with you first, to name a few. If the first child Grey happens to be smaller or weaker, make it aware that it is safe and you are its protector.

On the other hand, the second-child parrot also needs a lot of love, attention and reassurance. Although it’s established that it is second–but yet loved just as dearly, create special rituals with this parrot that also make it feel special. Examples may include: specific games that only the two of you share; certain times a day for its cuddles; specific outings that just the two of you share, and so on.

Change your behavior. Re-look at your behavior, even if you’re not introducing a new arrival. Observe the interactions of your current flock–your reactions—and their reactions to your reactions. If there appears to be disharmony in your flock, re-look at the flock relationships. If you have a Grey that demonstrates feather picking or other destructive displacement behaviors and you have more than one parrot in your flock, think back to when the behaviors began. Could this possibly relate to the relationships between your birds and how you’ve handled them–----- especially if you have a small flock and you’re the center of "intention." Would it make a difference to re-establish or change your guidelines and behavior?"

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
That's a great article! Many thanx Shauna...
Pardon me for thinking out loud, and your free to correct me or bring anything else to my attention...
:hmmm:
-I don't know everything about Greys or Pionus', but I do know the Pionus' are much more laid back...and MY Pi is very independant and quite happy that way, it seems....so many of her problems, maybe won't be an issue with us...and the fact that I've only had her for 7 weeks now, makes me think that it'll be easier to bring another bird now, than later...later would also be possible, but sooner the better, right?
-With both their wings being clipped and both their cages on oppsite corners of the room, I could easilly have them out at the same time, without needing DOUBLE the time...I just can't spend 3 hours with both of them sperately, there's already not enough time in a day!...and eventually they might learn to play with each other...:hmmm:

-Now about quarentine....I imagine this is to not spread any disease/sickness/cooteeze.... is opposite sides of the room good enough?...they won't be touching...is quarentine REALLY needed if I know they're both good health?

My view on quarentine seems very simple...there must be something Im overlooking or not considering...and about bringing in another bird...I guess much observation is needed...being carefull and not rushing are really the main thing...as well as keeping pecking order...in order...

Am I thinking this through well enough? Should I be posting this in another spot? Im not to sure if it would be better in SAFETY or something?

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I had a huge long response and it disappeared :faint: I promise you I will try again tonight :D

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I had a male and a female dusky Pionus who absolutely hated each other. I had to divide my bird room in half so they couldn't fight. I never had one hurt the other but there were some close calls with feet almost getting bit. I usually ended up getting bit pretty bad when trying to separate them.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I have wondered about this too, I think Olive would be so happy to have a friend. She solicits her toys for scritches all day long. But since she's been alone for her whole life, as far as I know, and because I don't really want 2 birds that hate each other right now, I'm waiting. Let us know if you decide to get the WC :) Mine is wonderful.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
See thats the thing...Pica's been in an aviary for 2 yrs...now she's alone.She's never been hand tamed this whole time. So Im thinking another Pi would keep her company AND she could learn from the WC that its ok to play with humans and our bonding progress would maybe speed up some.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
I had a male and a female dusky Pionus who absolutely hated each other. I had to divide my bird room in half so they couldn't fight. I never had one hurt the other but there were some close calls with feet almost getting bit. I usually ended up getting bit pretty bad when trying to separate them.
They don't cross the line looking for trouble that way?...they should just get along and start making babies :cool1:...

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Ok round 2!! :lol:

I will say first, that adopting a bird of the same species, regardless of species, should not be taken lightly. many things can happen that you never planned or wanted to happen. I would never wish for my two to breed, and I still to this day try so hard to not encourage my senegal and red belly from hanging out too long. It is very hard with these two because one minute they are feeding and courting eachother, the next trying to maul the other's face off. It can be a huge challenge, and you also have to be prepared for them to fully bond and not want human interaction at all anymore.

When we got Odin as a baby, we had NO intention of getting another pionus, I was waiting for a macaw. Destiny says otherwise :rolleyes: I saw Loki's craigslist ad and my heart went out to him for some reason. I felt like he needed me, no matter what I had to do to make it work. I also felt like it would be nice for Odin to have a friend like Peanut and Baby have each other. WRONG!! :p It was totally worth it, but here we are on our roller coaster ride today!!

Loki is in love with Odin :heart: and Odin has other plans. She really cannot stand him. haha. poor guy. So typically now what happens is Loki will chase Odin, Odin will either fly away or start a fight. At least she can get away whenever she wants, but she is starting to stand her ground a lot more now. There are days where they are calm and can hang out together, but they cannot be together unsupervised anymore, nor left to their own vises on top of their cages.

Wyatt is my lone rider, he HATES everyone else. He might think he is human. :lol:

So that is a mini novel of our life with "pairs" (could hardly call them that I suppose lol). It can be tough, and a huge hassle, but each bird has their own individual personalities that I cherish so much. :)

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
:wow:...I guess having several parrots is a different world all together!

But I called to visit them last night and she was gone!!Someone came and got her shortly before me... I guess someone was in more of a rush than I was...I needed a few days to think about it...now she's gone...:darn:That was quick...

:sad9:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww I'm sorry! But, I feel you did the right thing. It is better to go in prepared and have fate dictate if it was meant to be, then rush in without thought and have a problem later. I hav no doubt when the time is right, a new bird will be waiting for you :)

~*~ Sent from my phone, so please excuse any typos! ~*~

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Don't forget there are hundreds of misplaced birds yearly, you will surely find another opportunity to adopt. :)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
The day after I bought my WC, I saw a Blue headed pionus on CL, which is a specie that I preferred (based on looks alone), and then a Maxi right after that. I had been looking for the right poicephalus or a pionus for several months without much luck, so I was surprised to see others right at the same time. I think Olive needed me though, and that was the reason things worked out how they did. I feel things happen for a reason, especially when it's 2 souls coming together. :)

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
I think its so funny, but i see so many people on here who flip-flop between wanting a Pi or a Poi, myself included. do you suppose its due to the noise factor?
Fate gave me Pia when i was searching for a red belly, so i definitely agree with letting things happen when they feel right :)

although a red belly is still on my Do Want List ;)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, noise was the primary factor. I live in an apartment and have no clue when I will be in a house! I am not a big fan of pois calls, though. I actually prefer the noise of some "louder" birds. But volume was the #1 concern so neighbors don't complain. They don't even know I have Olive, which is fine with me :)

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
yeah i was the same, except poi calls that ive heard so far don't really bother me. the species i was looking for just didnt seem to be available at the time and i found pia and she was so sweet and i felt so bad for her and she just kinda clicked. i love how gentle and sweet she is, which is funny because one of the things i really looked forward to with the RB was having a rambunctious and playful parrot. instead i got a perch potato!!!! but i love her, she's a doll.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Same here! I love spunky saucy birds... I had a Quaker and a GCC and they both definitely fit that description, not to mention that I've wanted a macaw for the last 12 years. :lol: But I got Olive who is a mild mannered, sweet, calm, shy, little perch potato (though when she's mad, she looks like a little amazon, neck feathers up and tail flared).

I think that's one of the reasons why so many of us have multiple birds. Each one fulfills different traits we look for in a pet.

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
I haven't even seen Pia get mad yet! that'll be interesting for sure!!!
and i think that's an excellent point! i love pia's sweet gentle nature, but i also cant wait to someday have my RB for some spunk, and maybe someday a conure for a cuddlebug <3
that'd be my perfect birdie trifecta!

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
Got a little off topic, just wanted to restate that when it's the right time for you to add to your flock, i think the universe will let you know and everything will work out as it should :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.