• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A question about feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, as some of you know, I got Java from a breeder in February and he was in bad shape: very underweight, calloused foot, crappy feathers, and nasal discharge. With the exception of two, ALL of his tail feathers broke off but didn't fall out, and some of them are split right down the shaft. He hasn't molted them out in the 7 months that I've had him, and I'm wondering if there is something that could be done to make molting easier for him.
The vet says he's at perfect health with the exception of his bumblefoot, so I thought his body would've replaced the tattered feathers by now. His feathers sound very papery when he ruffles them or cleans them. I know it can take a while for a complete molt, I was just wondering if there was a reason why his body hasn't replaced those broken and weak feathers yet.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If they had just molted out when he broke them, they won’t be replaced till his next molt:) It Will also likely take more then one molt tl replace all the tail feathers.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
God designed feathers to be molted in certain ways.

It's really cool to read articles about the different ways different species molt.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
When a bird has been through a severe severe illness it can take longer than normal before going through a proper molt (they may be be so depleted that they delay or even skip one or two). After Rhubarb got so sick she needed to be hospitalized, it was over a year before she had changed out all her feathers.

Since molting takes a lot of energy, his little body will wait until it builds up all of its own strength and reserves before starting to replace those big feathers. Keep doing what you're doing and if he hasn't started to grow new tail pins after a year with you, it will be time to begin looking for some other underlying cause.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When a bird has been through a severe severe illness it can take longer than normal before going through a proper molt (they may be be so depleted that they delay or even skip one or two). After Rhubarb got so sick she needed to be hospitalized, it was over a year before she had changed out all her feathers.

Since molting takes a lot of energy, his little body will wait until it builds up all of its own strength and reserves before starting to replace those big feathers. Keep doing what you're doing and if he hasn't started to grow new tail pins after a year with you, it will be time to begin looking for some other underlying cause.
Will do. I'll be sure to keep an eye on him. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.