• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Question About Dog Grooming. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
So, Harley the Shihpoo does not get groomed as often as he should, and I'm really trying to get into the habit of keeping up with his grooming.

I know that he should be brushed every day (for those of you that don't know, a shihpoo is a poodle/shih tzu hybrid), but I'm not completely sure how often he should be given a bath. Daily, weekly?

Any thoughts?

(Also, just FYI, Harley's coat is pretty fluffy right now. . . I gave him a trim last time I groomed him, but he's not shaven and is still fluffy. . . I'd put pictures up, but I'm still having troubling figuring out exactly how to do that. . .)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I wash my dog once a month, and brush him daily with a furminator. More baths if needed. Just be careful to use a good product that does not dry the skin, since you are in a dry climate.
To post pictures you can get a free account at photobucket, then we can walk you through the process if needed. Or you can use a photo editor to make adjustments to the image size,save to your pc, and post them as an attachment.

Last edited:

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Yeah I had a poodle a few years ago and we bathed her monthly and did a little "haircut" as she wore a puppy clip which is just a short tidy up. My labrador Em had to be bathed more frequently as she had a habit of swimming in the nearby duck pond (duck soup in Ems language) and would come home ...very stinky!! You do have to watch out you don't give them dry skin or burn them with the hairdrier if you use one.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am a retired dog groomer. Once a month baths are fine. To much bathing can remove essential natural oils and dry the skin. I like oatmeal dog shampoos the most. I must impress upon you though, that the dog should be completely brushed out (NO MATS or tangles) prior to bathing. Water tightens the fur up.
The furminator cannot be used on your dogs type of coat. Use a soft wire brush and comb.
Your dogs coat would be easiest to maintain if you use electric grooming clippers to shorten the coat. A #5 or #7 would work best.
One important thing that many people don't realize, You need to clip the fur inbetween each of those little toe pads. Mats form there and can become very uncomfortable for dogs to walk on.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I am a retired dog groomer. Once a month baths are fine. To much bathing can remove essential natural oils and dry the skin. I like oatmeal dog shampoos the most. I must impress upon you though, that the dog should be completely brushed out (NO MATS or tangles) prior to bathing. Water tightens the fur up.
The furminator cannot be used on your dogs type of coat. Use a soft wire brush and comb.
Your dogs coat would be easiest to maintain if you use electric grooming clippers to shorten the coat. A #5 or #7 would work best.
One important thing that many people don't realize, You need to clip the fur inbetween each of those little toe pads. Mats form there and can become very uncomfortable for dogs to walk on.
I'm a master groomer...and I can second everything that Judy said, and go one further to say that you need to be able to take a comb through the coat thoroughly. A comb will find any tangles your brush did not. Most people do not know how to brush their dog properly, and usually 'top brush', which is brushing the top of the coat fluffy, while the tangles which are next to the skin remain. So use a wide tooth comb to FIND the tangles, but do not try to pull on them with the comb. Use the brush to pick them out. If the tangles are 'soft', they will brush out, usually. If they are hard, they are now mats and need to be clipped out.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Thanks for all the info guys! (Now I just need to find a better brush for Harley. . .) I will be sure to do as you say, concentrating on getting all of the tangles and mats out of my little Munchkin. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I used to own a grooming shop and I agree!

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Any tips and tricks on how to get Harley to hold still while grooming him? (It's not like he's terrified of being groomed, he just doesn't like to have it done.)

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I worked at a groomer and have owned, bred, and shown for years so, in my opinion given the breed the brushing should be done daily. If you cannot keep up with grooming then have him clipped short when he does go, sp that when he goes back again he is not a complete disaster. You have to take into consideration that matting is not just inconvenient for us, depending on the severity of it, it can be painful for the dog and hold debris close to the skin. Never mind that insisting a groomer spend extra time dematting a dog is painful for the dog and typically results in the dog becoming stressed and not liking to be groomed. Depending on how quickly the coat grows (every dog is individual). Usually bathe every 4-6 weeks again depending on the dogs activity level if he is running through mud every day that will vary. As far as how to get him to hold still during grooming it is all in the conditioning. Usually if you start a puppy and brush lightly every day make sure to handle the extremities (even touching between the legs and bum area) so that they get used to it. You just have to take you time. I have dealt with other peoples dogs who were in fact Terrified of grooming with the right approach you can get them through it (it does take time thoguh). If he is nippy when brusing or even just mouthty discourage it immediately with a quick firm NO and redirect his attention. Just my opinion hopefully it helps. :)

Also best brush I ever owned although I will admit I flinched at the price was Les Pooch. They make immitations now but I had one last me for YEARS anyone who has had grooming tools know that just doesnt happen often. I got the immitation and it lasted a month and broke.

feebee

Jogging around the block
Sorry to hijack your thread, but i have a King Charles - in my siggy, would a furminator work on him? (they are just selling in our petshop), i try to brush him daily, but he still has a ton of lose fur, i have this rubber brush that seems to get some of the lose fur out but not all, as if i run my fingers through him i can still get fur out..

_Haley_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Haley
I'm slightly hijacking here too - Wow, so many of you are groomers! I'm getting trained in grooming myself and working at a grooming shop. I'm just a bather/brusher right now but I've started recently doing rough outs.

But I agree. A Furminator wouldn't work on a dog with a fluffy coat such as yours. What I would suggest is bathing every couple weeks. but like others have said make sure he's COMPLETELY brushed out first. Also, home bathing is hard with a long haired dog due to the fact they usually run around and rub on stuff and the coat gets matted due to that.

Feebee - It would probably work on the body pretty well. It looks like his ears are longer and I wouldn't really use it on them because I would be afraid of tearing at the hair. But honestly you can get a knock off of a Furminator far cheaper and it'll work just as well. Just look for anything called a de-shedder, which is basically a Furminator. :) Your puppy is VERY cute btw.

Last edited:

feebee

Jogging around the block
Feebee - It would probably work on the body pretty well. It looks like his ears are longer and I wouldn't really use it on them because I would be afraid of tearing at the hair. But honestly you can get a knock off of a Furminator far cheaper and it'll work just as well. Just look for anything called a de-shedder, which is basically a Furminator. :) Your puppy is VERY cute btw.
thanks :) i think he is cute as well! :lol: ill look around for anything called de-shedder :) (plus the furminator is in the NZD $100 region! :eek:) since that photo i have trimmed his ears as no matter how much i brushed them they continued to get mats in them, so i gave them a short trim (plus now they dont get soaking wet when he drinks!) :) i really would like to know how to do it correctly though might have to do some research on-line :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Sorry to hijack your thread, but i have a King Charles - in my siggy, would a furminator work on him? (they are just selling in our petshop), i try to brush him daily, but he still has a ton of lose fur, i have this rubber brush that seems to get some of the lose fur out but not all, as if i run my fingers through him i can still get fur out..
I show Cavaliers, a lot of people use Furminators on them and like them. I don't think they are necessary and I'm not a fan of them I think just because I am so used to using a comb. I use a greyhound comb and a pin brush on my Cavalier. I spray him a moisturizing spray every day and then comb and brush him out.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great advice! Greyhound combs are life savers! You definitely don't need to get the Furminator brand to remove dead undercoat. Remember when brushing your dog start with one leg at the foot and wok your way up. Never use scssors to cut out matts! I can't tell you how many dogs and cats are injured this way. If it can't be brushed out use a clipper. If you don't have one or know how to use one seek a groomer out. It is true that matting can be very painful to dogs as well as cause terrible skin infections.
If you dog won't sit still and you don't have a grooming table either take your dog to a groomer or begin training with positive reinforcement. Give tiny bites of a soft treat, touch the dog all over, treat, brush one stroke, praise and treat.
Don't push if it does not go well as this can cause the dog or puppy to develop fear of being groomed. Many groomers are only to happy to discuss things with you concerning your dog, so don't hesitate to seek one out.

feebee

Jogging around the block
I show Cavaliers, a lot of people use Furminators on them and like them. I don't think they are necessary and I'm not a fan of them I think just because I am so used to using a comb. I use a greyhound comb and a pin brush on my Cavalier. I spray him a moisturizing spray every day and then comb and brush him out.
What is a greyhound comb? just a fine tooth comb? i have this Google Image Result for http://www.worldforpets.com.au/uploads/products/BA003_0004_hero.jpg comb and this Google Image Result for http://www.eastroadpets.co.nz/jscript/uploads/k8.jpg

so im really looking for somthing to take all the loose hair off him..

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

What is a greyhound comb? just a fine tooth comb? i have this Google Image Result for http://www.worldforpets.com.au/uploads/products/BA003_0004_hero.jpg comb and this Google Image Result for http://www.eastroadpets.co.nz/jscript/uploads/k8.jpg

so im really looking for somthing to take all the loose hair off him..
If you really want something to pull hair off I would just get a slicker brush, but one that is kind of soft. This will be fine for pulling out loose hairs. I sometimes use that on Dickens too, but since I brush him every day, usually the pin brush is fine.

A greyhound comb is just a comb that is finer on one side and course on the other. https://www.a1petsupply.com/secure_html/aa-greyhound.htm

feebee

Jogging around the block
If you really want something to pull hair off I would just get a slicker brush, but one that is kind of soft. This will be fine for pulling out loose hairs. I sometimes use that on Dickens too, but since I brush him every day, usually the pin brush is fine.

A greyhound comb is just a comb that is finer on one side and course on the other. https://www.a1petsupply.com/secure_html/aa-greyhound.htm
ok now im confused, what is the difference between a slicker and pin brush? i think mine is actually a slicker brush?

Status
Not open for further replies.