• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Problem or Not?

Is this normal behavior?

• Normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Illness

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
So my budgies often "poof up" when sitting still. They are not always like this. I read on the Avian Web, Beauty of Birds regarding Budgies this could indicate illness. Also read it means they could be cold. I live in a 5th Wheel with an overhead A/C but I keep the temp above 70, usually in the 75 degrees Farenheight range. I also keep the air off of them, vents away and downward or to the side, not directed at them. So is this something I should be worried about or just normal behavior? Note: As I said, they are NOT always like this, only sometimes when sitting still, and never when active. IMG_3213.JPG Also, I've read about how you can tell a lot from a bird's droppings. This is Shen's (the blue and white one) a few days back. Anybody know what this means:
IMG_3210.JPG

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The temperature should be fine, but you can see if they are getting a draft from the AC by putting a flame by where their cage is. My birds often fluff up when they are content, beak grinding, and ready to take a nap, so it can be caused by various things. I can't really see the poop picture very well on my phone because it's kind of blurry. If you have any concerns, you might want to have them checked out. Have they been to the vet lately? What a cute yellow chicken btw!:)

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
The temperature should be fine, but you can see if they are getting a draft from the AC by putting a flame by where their cage is. My birds often fluff up when they are content, beak grinding, and ready to take a nap, so it can be caused by various things. I can't really see the poop picture very well on my phone because it's kind of blurry. If you have any concerns, you might want to have them checked out. Have they been to the vet lately? What a cute yellow chicken btw!:)

I now know Shen is sick. I didn't see it before, but now I realize he has diarrhea. I can see runny discharge from his rear and discoration. I remember seeing it at the store before, albiet in smaller size, but didn't realize it was anything until now. He is also discolored. He has maintained his light blue color, but his white is brownish. I misted him for a bath a few days ago. I know he is sick, and now so is Avie (Ah-vee). I would immediately take them to the vet, but I am disabled and poor and spent all I had on their setup and purchase. I won't get paid again until July 1st. I don't want them to be sick or worse, die, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions, besides going to the vet, would be greatly appreciated. I apologize I was not prepared for this. I have absolutely no experience in caring for birds. In my mind's eye I thought they would be just fine. I didn't suspect diseases or sickness, just wanted to have them happy and bonded in a cool setup. Again, I apologize.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry that both of your birds may be sick. If that is the case, you really do need to find a way to get them to the vet. Maybe you can make payment arrangements or maybe you can get care credit. Perhaps you have a family member who can help. Call some vets and tell them what is going on and what your situation is like right now.
Make sure that both birds are both eating & drinking, especially drinking. Keep them warm and calm. You can cover the cage on 3 sides.
How is their activity level? Are they sitting fluffed for longer than what you would consider normal for them? What do you mean by discolored? Is the poop discolored, the feathering?
Wish I could give you advice but if they are ill they need to be examined and treated.
Hope they will be OK.

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
I am sorry that both of your birds may be sick. If that is the case, you really do need to find a way to get them to the vet. Maybe you can make payment arrangements or maybe you can get care credit. Perhaps you have a family member who can help. Call some vets and tell them what is going on and what your situation is like right now.
Make sure that both birds are both eating & drinking, especially drinking. Keep them warm and calm. You can cover the cage on 3 sides.
How is their activity level? Are they sitting fluffed for longer than what you would consider normal for them? What do you mean by discolored? Is the poop discolored, the feathering?
Wish I could give you advice but if they are ill they need to be examined and treated.
Hope they will be OK.

I have already checked to see if the ONLY place here where I live that sees "exotics" will take care credit, but no. I have already asked family but we are all poor and thus they are all broke. Vet is out of the question, at least for a little while. The budgies' activity is about 50% sitting fluffed up and 50% active (eating, chewing on thing, playing, loving on each other, singing). Today most of the morning was inactive and the afternoon and evening was quite active. I play Australian bird songs for them from my iPhone to my shower speaker resting atop their cage and they relax and liven up. Shen, the blue-and-white male, is the sickest. His stool comes out runny and won't hold. There is fecal matter around his "exit hole" and his feathers are not pure white like they should be and were. I am keeping them pretty warm (around 80 degress farenheight) and cover their cage at night. Except meticulous cleaning and changing out food/water, I don't know what else to do... I pray they get better; it's all I've got atm.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps a member in TX can recommend a vet to you. Maybe someone that will be flexible regarding payment. Just make sure they are eating and drinking. What are you feeding them, btw?

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Perhaps a member in TX can recommend a vet to you. Maybe someone that will be flexible regarding payment. Just make sure they are eating and drinking. What are you feeding them, btw?

Sorry this took a bit to reply to, but here it is: IMG_3216.JPG IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3218.JPG IMG_3219.JPG

I also have been giving them peach, strawberry, apple, orange, and carrots. They seem to have eaten the carrots and I saw them eating the orange and peach. I am planning on getting them introduced to pellets on July 1st (when I get paid again).
I have also been giving them millet by my hand daily so they can get used to me.