• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A possible decision?

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Now, I’ve posted about how Bluebell and Icecream have had another, uh litter(?) of eggs and one has hatched so far( I forgot the correct term for that. ).

And I was thinking, all my parakeets so far have basically been in one big cage, so if one is afraid of me and panics they all just learn to do the same( basically what’s happened to far, even to the new ones we got last week, who let me hold them without biting and letting me get my hand close to them. )

Now I’m not even sure if this little one is gonna make it through the growing stage, or if anymore are gonna hatch( still waiting a while to find that out. ).

And is was hoping to take one of those babies when they get a tad older and move them to a separate cage so I can properly train them, and not have them be afraid of me. ( Note the cage I am talking about is the one Silver and Finch are in now. And about to be moved back to the big cage. And that cage is maybe a bit smaller than 1/4th of the big group cage we have now.)

I just want to have the feeling of knowing I was at least able to train one budgie and have them not be afraid of me.

Sorry if this is a bad idea, I just want others’ input on this on whether it’s a completely horrible idea or not. Sorry again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And is was hoping to take one of those babies when they get a tad older and move them to a separate cage so I can properly train them
So what do you think this baby is going to think being separated from his flock? You haven't put in the time/effort or provided an environment conducive to "earning" all their trust. That bird will always want and need its flock. Separating it will do nothing but cause stress and anxiety. What kind of "training" are you talking about?

My advice always comes from the birds perspective because they don't have a voice. You should strive to train all your birds without singling one out. JMO

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Forgive me if this sounds a little harsh, but by the sounds of things, you should not be allowing your birds to breed. There is SO MUCH more that you should research and learn and be prepared for before you consider breeding.

You mentioned that your chick may not make it to adulthood, why?

Like John mentioned, you will have a hard time earning a birds trust when the rest of the flock doesn't trust you either. That's not to say it's impossible, it can be done with lots of time and dedication and patience. You will need to spend time with your chick EVERY SINGLE DAY, without fail. Start by making sure the cages and nest box are clean every day. When he gets older and starts to explore foods, make sure you give him/her lots of variety, and entice him/her with some millet. The more time you spend with your chick, the better. If you are going to keep him seperate from the flock, then you must remember that YOU will become his flock and he will rely on your for play time, bonding time, cuddle time, ect. Just because budgies are small, doesn't mean they can be ignored until you feel like you can spend a few minutes interacting with them.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
how old will the chick be when you separate him/her from the flock? It may help if you separate her... because she'll then bond more to you than to her fellow budgies, but, like PoukieBear said, you'll have to spend a lot of time with her and provide lots of toys to keep her busy.

uh litter(?) of eggs and one has hatched so far( I forgot the correct term for that. ).
:D The correct term is clutch, it took me a while to get used to the term too!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Budgies are social little birds. If you take just this one bird and move him from his family, his flock, he will be sad and depressed and will spending a bunch of time trying to get to the rest of his flock, even if you were to spend the whole day with him. He'll get stressed, and this could lead to multiple problems.

Like PouikeBear said, we're not trying to be rude here, we are just being honest and realistic. I too believe you should've done a ton of my research before breeding your birds, or should just not do it at all. The fact that you don't even know what the group of eggs a bird lays is called (a clutch) just shows there's plenty more to learn.

There's a lot involved with breeding birds (or any animal, for that matter). You've got to make sure the parents are healthy, meaning you have to pay for more vet visits. You've got to have several cages (to separate the boys and girls from the same clutch and to just have in case of fighting birds). You've got to know how to care for baby birds. You've got to have plenty of toys, perches, accessories, and food to properly care for the birds. You've also got to be able to take the baby birds to the vet to make sure they're healthy, especially if you plan to sell them. You also need plenty of money to take your birds to the vet if you run into any problems or health issues with the birds.

All the work and money you would have to put in in order to have a healthy flock is a lot! You should also remember that there are many, many birds at shelters and rescues waiting to be adopted by their forever family and given a second chance. If you just wanted a large feathered family, you could have just adopted multiple birds looking for homes.

I must ask, however, why will one of the baby Budgies not make it to adulthood?

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I would also like to add that simply taking a Budgie from the flock will not automatically make him bond with you. In fact, he may be even more afraid of you.

If you want to have tame birds, you just need to work will all the Budgies you have and you need to remember to put in the effort to tame any future baby birds you will have. You do not need to separate this one bird from his flock just so you can tame him.

It is possible to tame all of the birds without taking away one of them. You just need to put in and a lot of time and effort. I have 2 Budgies that are bonded together and used to not be too tame, either. Skittles, my older one, was semi-tame. He would perch on your shoulder and preen your hair and sometimes perch on your finger; he hated hands, though. Now, he always accepts a treat from your hands and will even hop up on your hand or finger. Nico, the younger one, was not tame, at all! He would strike if you got too close to him and just wouldn't want anything to do with you. Now, he still won't perch on your finger, but he will accept treats from your hand.

I'm telling you, it can be done.

If you're not interested in going back and taming all your birds, then consider moving them to an outdoor aviary. An aviary is just a large, safer enclosure that gives your birds a more natural environment. You'd just be giving them more room to fly and play around together as a flock.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
It's cool that you asked. Sounds like you want the best for the birds and for them to have a relationship with you. I think with the advice from the board--and that cool video @Monica found, you can achieve that. I hope the new baby survives, what a stressor that must be.