• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

a new tiel

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
Hi everyone. Today there is a very strong chance I will purchase a tiel. I never had one before. I have always been a little afraid of them. I know what they eat and I have read some forum threads and learned a little with them. I can get one for about 5 months old. The mutation I have no idea since I don't at all know how mutations work. Is there specific things I need to know? Special needs the tiel had? Anything could be helpful. I googled it, but I don't see anything special to it. It's just like a budgie but needs more attention as far as I gathered.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats! Cockatiels are amazing birds.
No need to be fearful of them, they're actually known to be more "laid back" and calm then other parrots. Though it takes work to forge a relationship with one, as all birds do, they can really become such all around great birds.
A concern with them is they commonly get "night frights" and will require a night light if this happens. If you cover cages your cages at night, you'll have to leave one side uncovered of course.
An air purifier could be nice to invest in, as they are dusty birds. Just like their larger cousins, Cockatoo's, they produce dust so that's something to think about.
Hope it works out and you give this baby a nice home. :)
If you post a picture we may be able to help with determining the mutation?

Also cute baby 'Tiel pictures are hard to resist. :xflove:

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
Thanks. I haven't gone yet. The night terrors should be no issue for me at all. They are in the same room where I work and relax most of the time and my computer is there. I can put the tiel just next to the computer and keep the screen on. That should be more than enough light for the tiel. Dust isn't an issue since a budgie isn't known for it's cleanliness lol. My budgie shakes of more than enough dust lol. Air purifier isn't really that high on my list currently as my windows are always open so there is fresh air coming in. Also I have a whole pharmacy of vitamin drops for the water so my animals has in general a better health condition than I do. Even my dogs gets vitamins and stuff.

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
I have purchased my tiel and I am spending my time laughing at the poor thing. He looks at me so weird and he doesn't even have that spikey hair do yet. it looks so weird

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Congrats on the new addition!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new tiel! If treated right they can be the sweetest of birds.:xflove:How is she acting? Sometimes it takes a few weeks for new birds to settle in. Sitting next to her cage and talking softly to her will help her get used to you. Giving her treats through the cage bars will help her think of you as a friend.

What is she eating? A mix of pellets and seeds with plenty of veggies is good.

Is she tame? Using millet as a reward for teaching her to step up, or for getting her in and out of her cage is a good idea.

Tiels generally like shredding type toys. A variety of natural and rope perches is also a good idea. Just make sure you get her used to new things by putting them near her cage for several days until she seems comfortable with them.

A good rule of thumb is to never force your bird to do anything, but try and figure out a way to make it her choice.

Make sure she gets at least 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night in a fairly dark and quiet place so she stays healthy. A vet check for a new bird is also a good idea.

Can't wait for pictures!:)

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Congratulations tiels are so sweet

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
@Tiel Feathers She is acting...as a bird...I really don't know if there is some special behaviour. She seems calm and actually quite happy. She is quite aware of me as I work and relax the same room my birds are in. She ate papaya when I held it out to her. She actually wanted to bite, but figured out "oh this tastes good" and started eating some of it. I also have some millet on the side if my fruit is out. She has started to play with some bell toys and she is actually not scared of sitting right next to me and eating. The cage is huge and so the food bowl is about an arms length away from where I sit so she is pretty much happy. She has spoke up for a few seconds today, but not further. She reacted very nicely to the radio I put on. She enjoyed it.

Her general health is fantastic. The person I purchased her from has taken her to a vet and did a full work up with blood and everything. She is healthy and the development is normal. She will be just fine

She has what we call here a tiel mix: sunflower seeds and budgie seed mixed together. No pellets. It's not a dog. She will later have fruit and veggies added to improve her diet. I have done this with my budgie. I will do it with the tiel.

She is not tame. She won't be an issue to tame though since she is 3 months old. This will be quick to get her tamed.

Sleep is not an issue. She will have the correct amount of sleep. I make my own toys and I actually have like a whole box of toys for both birds. There is an odd 90 different toys. They won't get bored.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@IceTiger Well, it sounds like she's settling in nicely and your well prepared! Congratulations again on your new baby!!