• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A new jacket for Geordie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made another dog jacket today. This one is for Geordie. Much easier pattern than the other jacket and I like the sherpa lining/contrast that I used. Belt a bit too long for Geordie so wound up adding some extra velcro.

geordie camo 1.jpg

geordie camo2.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guess nobody likes Geordie or his new jacket. :sad3: I think I'm going to make myself a sherpa lined coat...no camo fleece, though.
Poor guy has to go back to vet tomorrow to recheck for stones. I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that the one remaining stone is gone.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love the jacket! You did a great job!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had fun making this jacket. The one I made for Caleb was a pain. My dogs are OK with jackets. Don't need them most of the year here but when they get shaved and it's cold out they are good to have. The one issue I have with sewing is the lack of space to spread out here. That's needed for laying out the material and pattern and cutting. I'm going to make some fleece and sherpa dog toys, too.

Your dogs are very cute. What are their names and how old?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Adorable! You are so handy with that sewing machine!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adorable! You are so handy with that sewing machine!
Thanks. So far I am happy with the new machine. I did have it jam up on me twice and I thought I might have a problem. Material got pulled into the feed dog...my fault. I had some thick areas and it "strained" a bit with those. I might use my Pfaff to make Kosmo's jacket and see how that does.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that the one remaining stone is gone.
And so do I! ♥
Good Luck! :)

Great jacket! It is so nice to do things yourself. It always make me feel so useful and handy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Years ago when we brought home a standard poodle puppy we had no idea that he had an underlying issue with his urethra. He slept a lot as a puppy and after 10 days I noticed him dripping pee on the concrete floor in our sun room. I knew there was going to be a problem, but I had no idea it was going to be such an extensive surgery as well as expensive. An IV dye test confirmed his ureters were intramurally connected to his bladder thus causing the leaking of urine. Fortunately, I had a neighbor next door that owned a grooming salon for dogs and kennel. She gave me a couple of "belly bands" she had made. They were two thicknesses of fabric with a strip of velcro on each end. That was nice so I could adjust the fit for snugness. I bought women's maxi pads and would cut them in half and tape the end that was cut so it didn't frazzle and stick the half into the belly band and position it so his junk would be in the center of the pad and catch the urine. He was a champ about wearing it and so it worked well to allow him to roam the house prior to his surgery and he wore it for a couple of months after his surgery. The smaller version of this long rectangle belly band came in handy with my yorkie that had bladder stones and couldn't hold his pee … another expensive surgery! I've seen belly bands in the pet store long after the ones I used and those have elastic along the length of the band but I much preferred the ones I had as it was easier to control where the pad stayed.

It might be something you could make and market for people who have dogs that are incontinent or have similar issues like mine had. Just a thought!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Years ago when we brought home a standard poodle puppy we had no idea that he had an underlying issue with his urethra. He slept a lot as a puppy and after 10 days I noticed him dripping pee on the concrete floor in our sun room. I knew there was going to be a problem, but I had no idea it was going to be such an extensive surgery as well as expensive. An IV dye test confirmed his ureters were intramurally connected to his bladder thus causing the leaking of urine. Fortunately, I had a neighbor next door that owned a grooming salon for dogs and kennel. She gave me a couple of "belly bands" she had made. They were two thicknesses of fabric with a strip of velcro on each end. That was nice so I could adjust the fit for snugness. I bought women's maxi pads and would cut them in half and tape the end that was cut so it didn't frazzle and stick the half into the belly band and position it so his junk would be in the center of the pad and catch the urine. He was a champ about wearing it and so it worked well to allow him to roam the house prior to his surgery and he wore it for a couple of months after his surgery. The smaller version of this long rectangle belly band came in handy with my yorkie that had bladder stones and couldn't hold his pee … another expensive surgery! I've seen belly bands in the pet store long after the ones I used and those have elastic along the length of the band but I much preferred the ones I had as it was easier to control where the pad stayed.

It might be something you could make and market for people who have dogs that are incontinent or have similar issues like mine had. Just a thought!

Never heard of the belly bands. Sounds like they would be easy to make. I'll look into it. Thanks.
What kind of surgery did your puppy need? Your Yorkie's stones must have been large tocause pressure so that he couldn't hold his pee. Poor puppy and Yorkie having those issues. Geordie has issues with urethral/bladder stones. His initial procedure to void them was $$$$. Was supposed to have a lithotripsy but that didn't work to void all stones so vet did a very small incision to get to the rest. Stones have recurred a few times and they are now removed via voiding urohydropropulsion which is a minimally invasive procedure. He goes to vet every month or every other month so we can catch them when they are small.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Never heard of the belly bands. Sounds like they would be easy to make. I'll look into it. Thanks.
What kind of surgery did your puppy need? Your Yorkie's stones must have been large tocause pressure so that he couldn't hold his pee. Poor puppy and Yorkie having those issues. Geordie has issues with urethral/bladder stones. His initial procedure to void them was $$$$. Was supposed to have a lithotripsy but that didn't work to void all stones so vet did a very small incision to get to the rest. Stones have recurred a few times and they are now removed via voiding urohydropropulsion which is a minimally invasive procedure. He goes to vet every month or every other month so we can catch them when they are small.
They would be super easy of you to make. Just measure his girth and add 3 inches on each side so you can adjust the band but do the velcro long ways into the band instead of just the ends so you can adjust how tight you want it to fit. It's been years but I'm pretty sure they had to open his bladder to remove the stones. They weren't as big but causing enough irritation to the lining to make him feel like he had to pee all the time. He was so stressed out about it. He ended up on a special diet Science diet KD formula. You might have your water checked too for high calcium levels. I think some animals are more prone to stones. So sorry for your pup to have to go through this!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Geordie looks so cute and you did a wonderful job on the jacket! I hope he's passed the stone! I was always curious how dogs/people get stones anyway? Is it genetics? Diet? Just random?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geordie is a Bichon and they are prone to getting stones. Doesn't have any problems with leakage or incontinence and when he has to go out he lets me know. He gets bottled water (no additives) and is on a special diet. Also gets medication and supplements.
He was first diagnosed in 2013 and after that first procedure has probably had about 5 voidings. I think the last one may have been unnecessary and it is possible he could have voided that one tiny stone all by himself. Had 2 stones the week before, went back, vet did procedure and then came out and told me there was only one stone and it was much smaller than she thought. I assumed they did an ultrasound before the procedure and if there was only one stone and it was small then they should have sent us home and given him at least another week to eliminate it. Same thing happening now. Had 2 stones 3 weeks ago, went in last week for procedure, vet only saw one on ultrasound but she sent us home and will recheck him tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geordie looks so cute and you did a wonderful job on the jacket! I hope he's passed the stone! I was always curious how dogs/people get stones anyway? Is it genetics? Diet? Just random?

Thanks. I still have to make a buttonhole to pull the leash through. Had to fool with the foot to figure out how to get that set up and how to get the right measurement for the leash. His leash has a thick handle.

Cause of stones can be genetics and/or diet. In this case I think it's genetics and might have started with diet. His diet is VERY regulated now, he gets a lot of water and he is on meds and yet he still makes stones. I think sometimes diet can push the genetics so to speak and at one point Geordie was on a soy based diet due to allergies and I think this started him off on the path to making stones but I might be wrong with my assumption. Some soy products contain oxalate and that contributes to the formation of calcium oxalate stones which is what he produces.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Geordie is cute in his camo jacket.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You did an amazing job making that! Not the mention that he looks super cute:heart:

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
I had fun making this jacket. The one I made for Caleb was a pain. My dogs are OK with jackets. Don't need them most of the year here but when they get shaved and it's cold out they are good to have. The one issue I have with sewing is the lack of space to spread out here. That's needed for laying out the material and pattern and cutting. I'm going to make some fleece and sherpa dog toys, too.

Your dogs are very cute. What are their names and how old?
Starting from the left...Schatzi, almost 3, Murphy, almost 3, and Finn (my "terror"), almost 2. And yours?
I can't sew to save my life, but when I have time (which hasn't been for a while), I love counted crosstitch.