• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

a new DIY cage question. Think I've got most of it figured out, need some more help, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
What can I do for the bottom? Right now, I'll probably be getting the supplies to make a 5 foot long, 2 foot wide, and probably 3 feet high. Was thinking to use two rolls of the mesh, but I'd be concerned that I won't be able to attach it safely enough and would have a trapping hazard. One roll is enough to do the entire outside of the cage, without the top and bottom. I've got a small second roll of it that was on clearance(same product, different colour, smaller roll) that will allow me the space to do the top. What CAN I do for a bottom? I know it is going to be nearly impossible to move, ever, if I need to do it, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can use for the bottom of the cage that won't be too big/bulky/heavy to move by itself if I ever need to move it. I literally have NO ideas here, so anything would be helpful!

Also, what sort of wood should I make the frame out of? I went by Lowe's yesterday(just didn't have the time to go by Home Depot, but I think they've got the same wood selection, or a bit less) According to this site: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages. the SAFE woods that they've got(and the treated woods say that they are treated. That I know for sure, my dad was a contractor and I've personally seen the colour difference, label difference and PRICE difference between the treated ones. Can't guarantee it wasn't ever exposed to anything that is potentially harmful, but then again, we can't even always guarantee that with toys you find in stores, so hey.) are PINE, POPLAR, DOUGLASS FIR and MAPLE. Although the maple does NOT say what species it is. That site says maple is safe, though the bark of red maple may have a fungus in it that could potentially be toxic, but is "okay" when you take the bark off of it. I don't know if my little guys will want to chew on the uprights on their walls, but I do know they tend to prefer the balsa and "agave yucca" bird kabobs over the actual yucca that they've got, and haven't touched the pine stars on Rydia's jolly ball when they've played on it. But I'd still prefer something a bit harder for little beaks to just destroy. IF none of those woods look like they would be good for it, my original idea was to use PVC for the frame. BUT I couldn't figure out a way to make the doors(I'm planning to split the front panel and hinge both sides as doors) OR to attach the hardware cloth to them and have it stay stiff. Any ideas there if those woods aren't any good?

Also(lastly!). Supports? The mesh I'll be using is a hard plastic(not flexible) hardware cloth. Hard enough that it won't bend and flex and trap them if they climb/fly onto it, but soft enough that I wonder about it. Should I put some support beams onto the sides or the top to hang the toys from just in case? I'm definitely going to need one since they like Rydia's jolly ball and she doesn't go near it, but I have the feeling it is too heavy for the mesh. Should I just go ahead and make more of them? And if so, how many should I aim for along the top and sides?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is this cage outside or inside? If it's outside raw wood will wear out pretty quick. You "can not" use any kind of pressure treated wood. It's very toxic. You can't really paint the wood either because they may chew it and that is also toxic. All the woods you mentioned are fine but they won't last outside. PVC is your best option then. I would have many supports across the top and not hang anything on the mesh.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you do use wood....be careful that the wood is not treated, with the new process they use, the treated wood looks just like untreated

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
It'll be inside. We don't have good enough weather(imo) to leave the birds caged outside. I'll put supports on it to hold the toy/perch weight then. And before I buy the wood/have it cut I'll ask if it has been treated and double check the labels.

No ideas on flooring? I don't want to leave it on the ground because of how short it will be, but I don't know what to do for a floor so I can have it off of the ground either.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Why not an easy to clean cushion floor (like kitchen and bathroom) tray underneath a supported mesh floor? You'd need to check out the flooring, but surely something like that would work...

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I'm going to browse around in the hardware stores again after work tonight, but would I be able to nail/staple some sort of hard-ish flooring to the bottom of the cage? Something that with a bit of bracing will not warp? That way I can just put the paper over the top of that?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You could mount the flight cage onto PVC bars. Or just use PVC for the framing, and 2ft above the ground, you can build the aviary, so the height will be 5ft.

I would just put paper under the cage, so when they poop or food debris falls it will land on the paper.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
The only problem IS the bottom =/ The rolls come in 15 foot sections, and I don't want to buy another roll unless I have to(it's the most expensive part of the cage, including the wood frame, SS nails and hinges) to just use a third of it and try to find a place to store the rest.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All you need for the bottom is a piece of plywood and cover it with a piece of vinyl flooring. You can always put paper over top of that if that's what you want. Use 3/4 inch plywood so it will be nice and stiff and it will stay flat on its own. Then you can even mount legs under it to bring it up off the floor.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Sounds like that should work. I'll look into the pricing there too. Thanks!

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
So I think I might just end up getting a second roll of the wire, it looks like it'll be a lot cheaper than the plywood would be. But instead of wasting it, I've got a thought. Would it be possible to build a small second layer? With how much I'd have left over, I'd be able to make a top bunk that is about half the length of the bottom part. I know that people usually say to avoid cages that have the smaller second layer, but is it because of how small the commercial cages that have them are, or is there some safety/design flaw that would make them potentially harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.