• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video A little unsure where to post it...

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hello :)
I have a female Indian Ringneck at about 6 months old. I have had her for aprox. 2 months. I have noticed that sometimes, usually after a few hours after lunch, it's time for her to take a nap. When she perches on her outside perch getting ready to take a little nap, she will make this strange noise, like maybe it's whining, more like a guttural sound.
I'm quite dumbfounded as to why she makes this noise, so any help is appreciated.
(The video was shot aprox. 10-15 minutes ago)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm afraid I don't have ringnecks but my gcc stopped his grooming to listen to her. Maybe @cassiesdad would be able to help.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy does that as soon as I close their blinds and shut off the light for bedtime. She only does this when she's sitting on eggs and for about 10 minutes or so. I figure she's warning everyone she's still guarding her eggs and don't even think of approaching!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...that's an unusual sound, for sure.

I don't really think it's a sound of distress or anything like that, since she getting ready to nap.

Maybe it's just her way of settling down...a lot of birds grind their beaks...maybe she's going to be a little different with those vocalizations...maybe it's like @EkkieLu's Lucy...I'm settling down now, so don't bother me...

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
...that's an unusual sound, for sure.

I don't really think it's a sound of distress or anything like that, since she getting ready to nap.

Maybe it's just her way of settling down...a lot of birds grind their beaks...maybe she's going to be a little different with those vocalizations...maybe it's like @EkkieLu's Lucy...I'm settling down now, so don't bother me...
I thought that maybe she was in pain or something, and I was kind of freaking out thinking that something happened to her. She does this sound specifically when she is on her outside perch, ready to nap after preening or after napping. She does the beek grinding too. It's quite unusual since she does it only at a certain time in a day, more specifically hours after lunch.
It still kind of freaks me out when she makes that sound.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I thought that maybe she was in pain or something, and I was kind of freaking out thinking that something happened to her.
I can understand that, just because the vocalization is so unusual...it's hard to define what it sounds like.

Like I said, the body language just doesn't point to any difficulties...what's your cutie's name?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I can understand that, just because the vocalization is so unusual...it's hard to define what it sounds like.

Like I said, the body language just doesn't point to any difficulties...what's your cutie's name?
Oh yes, I haven't told you her name. She is Yoko, a screaming fussy bird who wants to get out of her cage first thing in the morning :)
I have no reason to believe she is sick because I feed her really nice pellets, fruits and vegetables (with which she is very picky or just unused to them), she preens like a lot of time during the day, she dumps her head in the water bowl quite a few times, she does her dose of flying in the room and chirping, likes to wipe her beak against the perch outside (which I find cute) and her droppings are normal. I have been to the vet with her, and the vet told me she is fine, even if she has that small movement of her tail which comes from her breathing and nothing else.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh yes, I haven't told you her name. She is Yoko, a screaming fussy bird who wants to get out of her cage first thing in the morning :)
I have no reason to believe she is sick because I feed her really nice pellets, fruits and vegetables (with which she is very picky or just unused to them), she preens like a lot of time during the day, she dumps her head in the water bowl quite a few times, she does her dose of flying in the room and chirping, likes to wipe her beak against the perch outside (which I find cute) and her droppings are normal. I have been to the vet with her, and the vet told me she is fine, even if she has that small movement of her tail which comes from her breathing and nothing else.
...sounds like a typical IRN to me. ;)

Welcome to the Avenue, Yoko! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does she have any other flock members. Sounds like she is calling them.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
...sounds like a typical IRN to me. ;)

Welcome to the Avenue, Yoko! :)
Thank you for the warm welcome :heart:

Does she have any other flock members. Sounds like she is calling them.
I'm afraid she is the only bird I have, but I got her form a breeder and I imagine she had to stay in the cage with a lot of her buddies. Maybe she got this behaviour from there, I'm not so sure. She recently started making sounds like that.

Could she be mimicking something that she associates with her nap routine?
I don't think there is another sound that she can copy, since there is not much happening in my room. I sometimes let her listen to some nature sounds. Also, my room is on a kind of a busy street, so she may be copying something from outside? I am not sure.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It sounds a little bit like normal Plumhead vocalisations. Did the breeder have Plumheads? Maybe she picked it up from them. This is a very happy Plumhead song :)

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
It sounds a little bit like normal Plumhead vocalisations. Did the breeder have Plumheads? Maybe she picked it up from them. This is a very happy Plumhead song :)

Honestly, I have no idea. But it is weird since she didn't do this sound before and just recently started doing it.