• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little Beanie update

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I'm really not rushing anything with him, so there hasn't been a ton to update. I hung up his 2nd tent so I'll include pics of that. I think maybe I already posted this video of him with the babble ball somewhere else, I can't remember for sure, though I know we did talk about it somewhere on here. I will add that the babble balls can be dangerous, first because the battery in there can leak, also, the chain that is attached is of an unknown material, and I don't think it is safe. However, for the short time it was in there, it was pretty cute to watch him play with it.

He's been flying around a lot more, he buzzes my head every day as I prepare his meals. :rolleyes: He's practicing talking a lot, I can hear the intonation, but there aren't a lot of words yet, wow and aww are in his vocab, and he mumbled a 'good boy' and a 'bam bam' once each. He's really interested in my face, specifically my lips and nose, but luckily for me he hasn't bitten (yet), he just nibbles... Anyway, here's some pics from the other day, I haven't taken very many recently, just these few. :o: This is his second tent, I did say I was going to post, I'll also add a pic of the other tent for those that missed it:

The first tent (Dick and Jane)
BeanTent.jpg
Second tent, Winnie the Pooh:
BeanTentWTP.jpg
Random Bean pics:
BeanToday.jpg
BeanToday2.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww,I just love Bean :heart:. I might have missed this,but he does step up for you right? Have you tried giving him scritches?

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Aww,I just love Bean :heart:. I might have missed this,but he does step up for you right? Have you tried giving him scritches?
Oh, he steps up no prob, he sometimes expects me to take him from point A to point B (like when I put his mash in his cage this morning and he was on top of his cage, he decided it would be so much easier if I picked him up and brought him to his food :rolleyes:). I have not tried to give him scritches, I'm still trying to get him okay with me touching him, he's getting better about his body, but he does not like me to touch his head, other than his beak.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Oh, he steps up no prob, he sometimes expects me to take him from point A to point B (like when I put his mash in his cage this morning and he was on top of his cage, he decided it would be so much easier if I picked him up and brought him to his food :rolleyes:). I have not tried to give him scritches, I'm still trying to get him okay with me touching him, he's getting better about his body, but he does not like me to touch his head, other than his beak.
Ah,I see. Thank you for clarifying :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sounds like you are doing really well with the Bean! Slow and steady is the key. :swoon:

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He is such a cutie! Where did you get the curly perch by the Pooh tent?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what an absolute dolliekins!!!!!!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
He is such a cutie! Where did you get the curly perch by the Pooh tent?
Well.... I got it from a chain store before I joined this forum, so I had some disinfecting to do on it, however, you can also get them through Kathie with My Safe Bird Store:
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=3069&product=10118
I took off the rings at the ends of the perch on both sides because they weren't closed very well and ended up just putting a big quick link through each hole at the ends and attached like that, worked out pretty well :D It's neat because it has a little bit of swing to it.

(there are a few different kinds actually, you can go to the "Natural perches" page to see them, they're about a quarter of the way down the page: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/cart.cgi?group=1790&child=3069)

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update! I remember when I first met an eclectus it was as if she was studying my face and paying attention intently. Bean looks wonderful. Btw.. What does it mean to buzz your head?:)

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Thanks for the update! I remember when I first met an eclectus it was as if she was studying my face and paying attention intently. Bean looks wonderful. Btw.. What does it mean to buzz your head?:)
He dive bombs me pretty much, but he's not coming from above, he flies straight at my head, but usually doesn't hit it (gets close though), then flies back to his cage. Then he does it again a couple minutes later. :rolleyes:

applejack

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lindsay
Aww, he's so beautiful; I love his little face, he looks so sweet.

Sounds like everything is going really well with him :). Definitely worth it to go slow.

Last edited:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Sounds and looks like a very happy boy! I don't have single one that wants to be scritched. Different feather structure on the head requires no preening.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is beautiful! I am glad that things are going well with him!

Matt

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
There he is!! I've been waiting for a Bean update!

He is so adorable!!!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Duh, I forgot to put this. We've been doing some mini training sessions, and he's loving it. I'm actually not training with him every day, and recently I've only been training when he asks (he'll go to his "training perch," the rope perch on the outside of his cage), and wave at me. :heart: We've just started, so right now we've got a really solid wave, shake, and he understands 'turn around,' but he does it kind of funny (he moves over on the perch before he starts spinning), so we're working on shaping it to be just right before we'll call it good. (I started with the treat too close to him when I brought it behind so he moved over to be able to see it easier before he started turning, he did it once and it stuck :rolleyes:) He's a cutie and he really really loves training - I do end it quickly (I'm pretty sure he's thinking "aww shoot, we were just getting started!," but it keeps him really motivated to continue with it :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.