• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A few South African wild birds...

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Awesome photos

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Hmmmmm the bill seems to be a little bit curved, it's tail is about the same length as it's body. Lol, and when he's on the ground he hopps, doesn't walk, his legs are too short to walk.:laugh:
I'll have to go through my bird book again :D :bag:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I went with my boyfriend and his family on a day trip about 2 and a half hours up the coast to a place called False Bay. These are just a few of the birds that we saw

A Little Egret fishing. When looking for food, they swish their feet around in the shallows to stir up any creatures hiding in the mud
IMG_1470.JPG

A Little Egret with a Greyheaded Gull in the background
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
Little Egret in flight
IMG_1537.JPG

A pair of Water Thick-knees. When they see a threat approaching (such as a nosy photographer), they freeze in this pose so as to not draw attention to themselves. They usually feed nocturnally, hence the large eyes!
IMG_1509.JPG
Another pair of Water Thick-knee, apparently feeling undisturbed.
IMG_1516.JPG

A Cormorant enjoying the morning sun. This individual was quite far out, so unfortunately I was unable to get a better pic.
IMG_1567.JPG

A Little Egret trying to get down a very large fish!
IMG_1782.JPG

Last edited:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
One of my favourite things to do at the beach is photograph seagulls :) I love their cheeky nature, and of course, the fact that they are not too skittish to let a photographer get close enough for decent shots :D As this particular area of the coast is a fishing hotspot, the seagulls have learnt to follow people carrying fishing rods, and know immediately when someone makes the throwing motion with their arms (I tested this by throwing sand and seashells) that they will most likely be getting bait scraps. Unfortunately, irresponsible fishermen leave hooks and fishing line lying around, which often gets eaten by gulls or wrapped up around their legs. This results in many of them having leg deformities, and sometimes losing feet or whole legs

IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

An individual missing a whole leg
IMG_1882.JPG
Another with a deformed foot
IMG_2030.JPG

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
beautiful...we have a little one legged seagull that hangs around in a local supermarket parking lot..we always make sure he gets food first.

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Also got to photograph this absolutely stunning Fish Eagle at the beach on Sunday, 15 June. He took me totally by surprise, and only sat for about 5 minutes, while I quickly hightailed it down the beach, shooting all the while, to try get him so he wasn't sitting in front of the sun. I made it just in time before he decided he'd had enough of me :rolleyes:

IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
beautiful...we have a little one legged seagull that hangs around in a local supermarket parking lot..we always make sure he gets food first.
Shame, poor chap! I also like to make sure the handicapped ones get food first :rolleyes: They seem to adjust so well though!