• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A baby kitten rescued

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
IMG_4985.JPG IMG_4988.JPG IMG_4987.JPG IMG_4989.JPG IMG_4991.JPG

I think she's about a few days old? I'm not sure... I know she's not a newborn as she's too big... (I don't know the gender of this baby.)

My best friend rescued her and called me for help, we took her to our local shelter only to be told "sorry I BS'd you. And we're gonna put her down because she's that small." So we went to buy her kitty milk formula and warmed to body temp and she ate, and now she's fast asleep.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:xflove: Cute as a button and such a wee one too! Found this info on - Newborn Kittens

Eyes and Ears
Newborn kittens are born unable to hear or see. At birth, their eyes and ear canals are both closed. Kittens' ear canals begin to open when they are between five and eight days old. Their tiny ears, which are folded down at birth, begin to stand up and are completely erect by the time they are three weeks old. Kittens' eyes begin to open when they are approximately eight days old and open completely over the next six days. Long-haired kittens' eyes take slightly longer to open than those of short-haired kittens.

When kittens are born, their eyes are blue in color and remain that color for the first three weeks. After this time, they gradually change to their permanent eye color, and it can take up 12 weeks to make the full change.

Hopefully it'll give you some idea of a timeline for your wee one. :heart::heart::heart: I'm glad that you took her in, I guess she'd be "too much work" for a rescue to handle (snort!).

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Baby kitties need to eat every 2 hours and use a warm wet wash cloth to "bathe" them and stimulate their bum...
I've bottle raised several litters. Love my kitties.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
So cute! :heart: That's some "shelter"! :mad::bash:
he pretty much lied to my friend when she went up to ask if they could spare some formula for the baby bc I knew she needed to eat every 2-2 1/2 hours and kept warm, this guy was only just trying to cover his stupid mistake and I was so mad I even told him, "I honestly don't know why you bother working here, you obviously have no compassion for animals, this isn't a place for you to work. You deliberately lied to us saying you have formula and kept on saying you had the staff and formula only now to waste our time with this nonsense. This kitten needs to be fed before it won't make it thanks to your ignorance." and I walked off. I'm just so glad that I raised kittens before thanks to me reading on a bunch of cat books when I was a kid!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
:xflove: Cute as a button and such a wee one too! Found this info on - Newborn Kittens

Eyes and Ears
Newborn kittens are born unable to hear or see. At birth, their eyes and ear canals are both closed. Kittens' ear canals begin to open when they are between five and eight days old. Their tiny ears, which are folded down at birth, begin to stand up and are completely erect by the time they are three weeks old. Kittens' eyes begin to open when they are approximately eight days old and open completely over the next six days. Long-haired kittens' eyes take slightly longer to open than those of short-haired kittens.

When kittens are born, their eyes are blue in color and remain that color for the first three weeks. After this time, they gradually change to their permanent eye color, and it can take up 12 weeks to make the full change.

Hopefully it'll give you some idea of a timeline for your wee one. :heart::heart::heart: I'm glad that you took her in, I guess she'd be "too much work" for a rescue to handle (snort!).
I believe she maybe roughly about... 2-3 days old? Not sure but she's so cute, the pet store people saw her and asked what happened so I told them the whole story about the shelter. and they gave us a 20% discount because they were so grateful that we took her in instead of having her put down. They were all teary eyed it was so cute. (Also the manager of that pet store knows the director of the shelter so he's gonna have a talk with him he said!)

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Seriously!? Never go there again! Thank you for helping this precious baby..Just remember to " stimulate" her bottom gently with a warm washcloth to help her pee and poo..Kinda like Mommie cats tounge.
Don't worry! I've done this before and I can definitely do it again! I do it before or after every feeding session and I have also taught my friend do that as well since she took her to work to care for her because my job will absolutely not let me take her to care for....

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Such a sweet baby! :heart: Thank you for saving her! (I have a strong feeling its a her :p)
I also thought that too! Funny story tho, our ginger boy, we thought was a girl until he surprised us! (It also totally slipped our minds that most gingers are boys too LMAO!)

But this one I think is a girl!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Baby kitties need to eat every 2 hours and use a warm wet wash cloth to "bathe" them and stimulate their bum...
I've bottle raised several litters. Love my kitties.
Thank you! I love my cats too! We used to have eight cats, three of them were bottle raised and all eight were rescues!

(People used to be so shocked and I would tell them that our cats are like dogs, and my dogs are like cats! :lol:)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So cute thank you for taking her in :)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Cute :heart:
Your shelter seems about as good as my local shelter. Only it's the management and workers as well. There's a couple good workers but most of them aren't really there for the animals. The last cat adopted from there had a bacterial infection and they knew it, the vet was mad when we took the cat in as apparently all of the medication was donated there. They were just too lazy to give it to us. There's worse to be told, I haven't adopted from there again. It's a shame for the animals though.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Cute :heart:
Your shelter seems about as good as my local shelter. Only it's the management and workers as well. There's a couple good workers but most of them aren't really there for the animals. The last cat adopted from there had a bacterial infection and they knew it, the vet was mad when we took the cat in as apparently all of the medication was donated there. They were just too lazy to give it to us. There's worse to be told, I haven't adopted from there again. It's a shame for the animals though.
Oh gosh that's really upsetting.... I'm glad the cat was rescued from that awful place... My mom was upset at my friend, but the guy was the one who screwed up and we were all just angry and worried because the poor thing needed to eat, luckily we feed her and she's doing pretty good right now.

The staff at shelter here knows pretty much nothing about animal care etc, hence why when I went to go look at this CAG (i made a post some where here a while ago), they let this woman who basically had no knowledge of parrot care. She claimed she knows but if you saw the way she behaved and handled the bird you know already. I told the staff they shouldn't just let anyone walk away with a bird like that. but they just had a smug look because to them that's """one less animal to worry about""")

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The kitten is cute. Thanks to you and your friend for helping. Hope she/he will be OK.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Aww s/He is a cutie! I hope that guy that told you that is fired!

Reminds me of when I helped my grandma handfeed seven kittens. Two litters, both of their mom's dissapeared so we took care of them. We were going to keep one (they were my grandmas) but unfortunately a few of them got botulism, and despite the vets efforts passed away. A few of the others were hit by cars, as they were very friendly farm cars. There are two of the seven remaining. :(
(Sorry for hijacking your thread I just wanted to share that)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I've raised a few little ones, best thing we ever found for keeping them in tube sox filled with rice that you heat in the microwave about 2 minutes and wrap with a hand towel. the little one will snuggle right into that warmth like they do with mom.