• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 week old eclectus?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I will look into it my only issue with shipping is the price I am on a budget with it, I'm hoping to find one for around $1,000 or less considering I must buy a cage too the unweaned baby was going to be $700 so it will be hard for me to find another for the same price range with shipping at least.
I see you said that you are willing to wait for a good price on a weaned baby. If this is the case (and I know you will not want to hear this so I apologize in advance!), then maybe the best plan of action would be to wait and save up so that you can afford all of the costs of a new bird. A good-sized cage for an ekkie will probably run you $500 or more. Not to mention the initial costs of stocking a cage with toys, perches, dishes, etc and potentially getting an outside playgym, atom, or tree so your bird has a safe spot to hang out outside the cage. It's true that most weaned birds are not going to be found for less than $1000, and I'd say the average price is closer to $1200. It's also important to have money saved for an initial vet visit (most breeders have a health guarantee that is void if you don't take the bird to get checked over within 3 days) as well as a fund for emergencies. That'll probably run you another $500.

It does suck to wait when you are ready and rearing to get a bird but I promise it's a lot less stressful when you're well prepared! Good luck!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well said Dom. It is hard to wait but in this case a wait would get you what you want and need.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I wouldn't recommend to buy an unweaned bird. But I do believe hand feeding a bird will built a friendship between you and your bird. I share what I'm eating with both Henry and Angel (not junk food) and they also have dinner with us. This makes them feel like part of the flock and that's what it's about. Angel is a rehomed female Eclectus. In under a month she gone from a nasty, cage territorial lunging bird to one where she will step up and down when asked, taking food from my hands and sitting on my shoulder quietly.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Welcome to the ekkie world! I thought I would chime in about the baby stuff - on which I have zero experience because mine have all been rescue/re-home situations. What I CAN say from experience is that a very strong bond is possible regardless of age! Our 1st was a stray so we don't know his age but I don't feel like he was young. He decided that my husband was his human and their bond was strong and special. Andy could do literally anything to Peanut - he was a very sweet bird. Our 2nd was a rescue. We were able to get Tigger out of a bad situation. He was about 3 years old. It took months in his case, due to the horrid lady that had him, to trust us... but once he got over that hurdle, the rest is history. He bonded with me completely - my velcro bird!! Our 3rd, Mr. Spock, had a wonderful mama who passed away. He came to live with us (was about 5 years old) and happily spends time with either of us - whoever will give their undivided attention! LOL So my point is - don't feel cornered to get a baby if bonding is your primary concern. Hand feeding is certainly a bonding experience but there are plenty of other opportunities to build a relationship.

Ekkies are wonderful companions! Our guys have always been content to just be nearby, being a part of day to day life and fortunately don't demand hours of one on one attention. Well, Spock feels the need to be in the middle of everything. See my profile pic? Yep, that's him in his usual spot. LOL But he is the youngest and most curious so I suppose that is natural!

I guess my advice would be - take your time, get the cage and toys squared away, have a fund for vet care because that is all undoubtedly expensive. Educate yourself on their diet needs, start stocking your freezer with chop, etc. The best thing you can do for your new fid is to be ready! Then wait for the right one to come along, baby or not. Get involved with a local rescue if there is one. I know one in Oklahoma with 3 precious ekkies waiting on their forever homes. I've spent some time with them and they're awesome. Too bad you're not closer!

Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!!