• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 yr old female

Sulaco

Moving in
Does anyone encounter your caique squawking all day every day no matter what you do because ours does. No matter if we give her food, water, new toys, new perches, we let her out to play and even when we let her out she squawks loudly and annoyingly. I don't understand where she got the noise from but it's at the point where it's driving me nuts. It's all day every day and she will sit in the bottom corner of the cage doing this, hardly plays with toys and these toys aren't cheap. Need some help here please.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long has she been doing this? Could she be hormonal?

@saroj12 ?

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
How long have you had her? How old is she? Has anything changed in the house (her cage, cage location, diet, new furniture, new pet, different routine, etc)?

I would invest in some foraging toys or drill/hide treats in her existing toys to keep her beak busy. Distracting her is your best tool right now. Try not to respond to her screaming because you giving her attention for screaming will only make things worse. When she is quiet reward her with praise/treats. It could be a hormonal thing or she could be flock calling to someone in the house. Is she more bonded to you or someone else? My Conure only screams when she can’t see me. Other than that she is pretty quiet.

Sulaco

Moving in
Thank you AKahle6868 and sunnysmom for the responses. We've had her since she's hatched, so 3 yrs now. There's been no changes in the house, her cage in the same location and her toys are in the same location. She has two foraging toys which she sometimes uses. She has toys hanging on the outside of the cage with another perch. She will scream even when she is out the cage. We will play with her for some time then put her back in the cage then she starts squawking and screaming. She will go down to the bottom perch of the cage and sit there and squawk and scream, which we call her complaint department. We have tried not to respond when she screams and squawks but there is only so much one can endure when it's loud and annoying. Another question what can we give her that helps her beak.

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
Thank you AKahle6868 and sunnysmom for the responses. We've had her since she's hatched, so 3 yrs now. There's been no changes in the house, her cage in the same location and her toys are in the same location. She has two foraging toys which she sometimes uses. She has toys hanging on the outside of the cage with another perch. She will scream even when she is out the cage. We will play with her for some time then put her back in the cage then she starts squawking and screaming. She will go down to the bottom perch of the cage and sit there and squawk and scream, which we call her complaint department. We have tried not to respond when she screams and squawks but there is only so much one can endure when it's loud and annoying. Another question what can we give her that helps her beak.
You just want to keep her beak busy. The more time she spends destroy toys the less she will scream. I would try hiding some slivered almonds or dried fruit in her forage toys. Cut them up small and stick them wherever you can. Maybe also hang some large wet lettuce leafs through the tops/sides of the cage. Some bird like bathing by rubbing on them, other bird like shredding them to pieces. Either way it keeps them busy. It sounds like it could be a hormonal thing. Do you cover her cage at night? Is her cage near a window? Make sure there are no boxes, huts, or nest like areas in her cage. Also make sure you only pet her on her head/neck. Rubbing all over the body (tails, under wings, chest) can all stimulate her and make hormones worse. Also avoid feeding any warm, mushy foods that resembles regurgitated foods. If you’ve rearranged her cage it’s probably not boredom. Has she always done this screaming since you’ve had her? Did it suddenly start randomly?

Sorry about all the questions. I just want to help anyway I can. I’m sure other members will give their feedback from their experiences as well.

Sulaco

Moving in
It is not routine that we cover her cage at night, sometimes we do sometimes we don't. It is located by a window there really isn't many locations to put it in the condo. With the lettuce leafs that is interesting, what kind of lettuce? She has been doing this for a while now. We do rub her head and cheeks, when she plays she wants to play rough.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If she has not been to a vet recently, I highly recommend that she be taken in to a vet for a thorough physical examination and a CBC and Chem Panel. Her constant screaming could very well be from pain or physical discomfort. If nothing else a visit to the
Dr. can rules out a physical reason and you can go from there.

What makes me somewhat suspicious of a physical issue, is that her screaming started suddenly after a couple of years with out the screaming - am I right?

Sulaco

Moving in
On that part you are correct, since we've had her she has not been seen by a vet. It's constant screaming all day no matter what we try and do. Thank you for the tip on the types of screening that should be done.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Once you rule out any physical cause, id start thinking about beheavioural issues

Since she is alone, you are her flock. She may have realised that the only way to get out and spend time with you is to scream

I have a gang of these birds. No screamers yet

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
After ruling out physical causes. You may want to give her a small open cardboard box to chew on or - to prevent nesting - a cat scratch cardboard zip tied to the cage wall and stuff treats in the holes!