• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 Years and Still Improving...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I've had Ernie, white cap pi for 3 years.

I've been in the bird room every day reading to them and clicker training, and spending extra time just hanging out for the past 7 weeks or so. Also have gone back to the habit of going in and telling everyone night-night. But I didn't expect ERnie to do anything in response to the training. He's 20 years old, grumpy, and about half tame. He stays on his perch and watches.

But over the past weeks....he took a nut from my fingers for the first time.... he is stepping up nearly every hour (as opposed to once every 3 weeks!)... he's riding on my shoulder CONSTANTLY man I can do anything wiht a bird on my shoulder!!!!

Today I had a clean dishpan in the laundry tub (I use it to transport bird drinkers back and forth) and I said why don't you just get in there and take a bath. He's never taken one anywhere but in his water bowl. So I stood him in it and splashed him, and turned him over and dribbled water on his tummy. He protested a little but no biting.

As if that wasn't shocking enough, I made some vegan soup and sat down with the bowl. For 3 years I've begged him to come down to the table off my shoulder. He won't and he won't take a bite of anything. Doesn't even lean toward it. Well he made a beeline for the soup bowl, ate a bunch of it and stood on the edge of the bowl!

I am so amazed and so proud of him. He's really coming out of his shell.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
AWESOME

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh yay!:joyful:
Thats wonderful!!! Extra treats for him tonight I bet;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy Gotcha day! :bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle:

And I'm happy that he had been doing so many big steps in a short while. You are so worth it! ♥

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Wonderful to hear! Congratulations on three years together.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
When I moved to my rental house with Nerd bird we set him up on the open area by the back door and dining room table. He was able to see everything going on in the living room and interact and cruise around. He went from very timid to shy but outgoing if he knew and trusted you and he kept trying new things like spaghetti and raw asparagus, plus his usual treats and junk food.
He was so much happier and loved being in the middle of the action. At my parents house he lived in my tiny bedroom so didn't get out to the rest of the house much as we at one point had cats and dogs and I know the dogs at least would have tried to eat him.
Keep it up and Ernie will be a velcro bird and will be much happier for the rest of his time with you. Nerd made it 31 years with me and probably was at least a few years older as he was almost positive wild caught with his brother in 78.
Good job and enjoy your newly outgoing friend.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is so wonderful and a lesson to those who think that their bird will never be tamed.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Keep it up and Ernie will be a velcro bird and will be much happier for the rest of his time with you.
Too funny... I call my dog Dusty a velcro dog. Not bcuz he's sticks to me like glue, but bcuz everything sticks to Dusty like glue! Shortly after we took Dusty in (he was a stray), he and our dog, Charlie, were laying next to each other on the porch. Charlie began licking Dusty's face...we thought, "isn't that sweet! Charlie's giving Dusty kisses." A little while later I discovered a piece of a lollipop stuck in Dusty's facial hair... Charlie wasn't kissing Dusty, he was using him as a snack holder!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've had Ernie, white cap pi for 3 years.

I've been in the bird room every day reading to them and clicker training, and spending extra time just hanging out for the past 7 weeks or so. Also have gone back to the habit of going in and telling everyone night-night. But I didn't expect ERnie to do anything in response to the training. He's 20 years old, grumpy, and about half tame. He stays on his perch and watches.

But over the past weeks....he took a nut from my fingers for the first time.... he is stepping up nearly every hour (as opposed to once every 3 weeks!)... he's riding on my shoulder CONSTANTLY man I can do anything wiht a bird on my shoulder!!!!

Today I had a clean dishpan in the laundry tub (I use it to transport bird drinkers back and forth) and I said why don't you just get in there and take a bath. He's never taken one anywhere but in his water bowl. So I stood him in it and splashed him, and turned him over and dribbled water on his tummy. He protested a little but no biting.

As if that wasn't shocking enough, I made some vegan soup and sat down with the bowl. For 3 years I've begged him to come down to the table off my shoulder. He won't and he won't take a bite of anything. Doesn't even lean toward it. Well he made a beeline for the soup bowl, ate a bunch of it and stood on the edge of the bowl!

I am so amazed and so proud of him. He's really coming out of his shell.
It's those little baby steps - dog people don't understand it - but bird people do! A fid will only do something whe it feels the time is right and not a minute before. Congrats!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

As if that wasn't shocking enough, I made some vegan soup and sat down with the bowl. For 3 years I've begged him to come down to the table off my shoulder. He won't and he won't take a bite of anything. Doesn't even lean toward it. Well he made a beeline for the soup bowl, ate a bunch of it and stood on the edge of the bowl.
Holy MOLY! That is fantastic, and all at once practically! :DanitaWins: I am so happy for you both & it gives me renewed hope for our timid Scotty.

And a very Happy belated Gotcha Day! :D

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Holy MOLY! That is fantastic, and all at once practically! :DanitaWins: I am so happy for you both & it gives me renewed hope for our timid Scotty.

And a vey Happy belated Gotcha Day! :greet6:
A 22 year old tiel I'd adopted a year or two ago (Sunny) because his mate had passed away and he'd started screaming was not hand friendly to me at all. BUT my youngest son could talk to him and Sunny would step up for him. Sunny never flew with my flock, though as far as I knew he had the wings and ability. He was a beautiful heavy pied yellow cheek but he was happy being loose with my tiel flock and he could climb down ladders or up them to his heart's content. He actually stuck to the lower level of the tiel cage with Peeps who'd suffered an accidental stepping on (my fault) and broke a wing and a leg so she could no longer fly.

Each bird moves at it's own pace in adapting and getting used to the new family it has. Never give up hope, little steps can lead to big changes.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What wonderful news! It sounds like Ernie has decided that you are acceptable flock members :)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you for sharing this happy story with us. I look forward to hearing many more! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes yes yes thank you all for sharing in my excitement. Today my friend came over to make crafts and he hung out with us. Supervising, I think. :heart:

Keep it up and Ernie will be a velcro bird and will be much happier for the rest of his time with you. Nerd made it 31 years with me and probably was at least a few years older as he was almost positive wild caught with his brother in 78.
Good job and enjoy your newly outgoing friend.
As I have said before, you and your birds are such an inspiration!

You can teach an OLD bird new tricks!
Hopefully you mean Ernie....:rofl:
That is so wonderful and a lesson to those who think that their bird will never be tamed.
I hope so! You'd never have convinced me before.

And a very Happy belated Gotcha Day! :D
Yes! Keep working. I can't stress enough that reading (sitting down, in a non threatening position) has helped with all my fids.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Yay Ernie! :joyful: That is great news!