• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 Babies so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
I just had to share our latest babies :) I was given this hen by another breeder to pair with my whiteface pied pearl male. However no matter how often she threw herself at him :hehe:he would only preen her bum.:o: Sooo one of the other males moved in on his turf.

I am a believer in allowing them to choose their own mates so I allowed them to go to nest. They laid 7 eggs, very weird schedule but ok, lol. So far 3 have hatched, 1 was broken and tossed (it was smaller anyways, the first egg laid). 3 are left due to hatch if they do.

The hen is a whiteface pied pearl and the male is a normal whiteface but I don't know if he has any splits, so we will see. It's just like Christmas!

Attachments

Diana88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diana
Aww so sweet! I love the 3rd pic.:heart: Like the tiel is saying: "Is everything ok here?" :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Cograulations! In looking at the pix the chick in the middle in the first pix has a slight difference in eye color. Do you remember upon hatch if the eyes were paler looking? If so there is a possiblity this one could be a cinnamon. Prior to the eyes opening many times the pupil will look wine colored thru the skin, and if so a cinnamon mutation. If so the father would be split to cinnamon.

Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful looking clutch of chicks.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
Cograulations! In looking at the pix the chick in the middle in the first pix has a slight difference in eye color. Do you remember upon hatch if the eyes were paler looking? If so there is a possiblity this one could be a cinnamon. Prior to the eyes opening many times the pupil will look wine colored thru the skin, and if so a cinnamon mutation. If so the father would be split to cinnamon.

Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful looking clutch of chicks.

Thank you! A cinnamon whiteface would be awesome! Honestly this is the first they have actually let me have a good look. Silverado is a very protective hen, Skylar is handfed and very used to my presence so he will let me peek, I have to move quick though cause Silverado is very protective and I don't want to stress her to much as this is her first clutch. I will watch for that as they develop though.
I will be pulling them for handfeeding around 3 weeks so will get some really nice pictures then :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
So far it looks like the parents are doing an excellent job of feeding them. The skintone is also slightly different than the others. It will be interesting to see them as they grow.

Daddy does not look like he is split to pied, but the pied split mark is not excluusive to the back of the head, it can be anywhere on the body. If all the toenails stay pale or whitish color then he was slight to pied. if a couple have just a few light colored toenails then they are split to pied (from the Mom) Brown toenails, cinnamon, and black toenails, normal or pearl. As they grow there are so many little clues to what they'll be.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
It will be really interesting to see how they develop! I would love to see a cinnamon in there :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Congrats :)

and Susanne - you have great eye sight I keep looking and looking at the pics and I can't tell a single difference between the middle one and the other 2

if its not obvious like red eyes I can never see it lol

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
When working with mutations and looking at alot of babies in the nest I started noticing very subtle difference. Even the down color can be a clue as to mutation with some of the newer mutations.

Below is a comparison pix. Eye color is better noticed the first day or so of hatch. Many times a new cinnamon hatckling will have pinkish colored eyes (2nd pix) Prior to the eyes opening and right after a cinnamons pupils will have a wine colored look to them (2nd pix)

Attachments

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
now like that i noticed in the 1st pic the dark area on the one on the left wasn't as dark as the other, is that the part that your referring too?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Kelli, yes, that is what caught my eye. It is just barely noticable the difference in shades of color. Same with the skintone. The others are just a tinsey bit pinker.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Ok now i understand, I thought you meant the eye ball itself and i was trying to see a difference and just couldn't see it - now i know why I was looking in the wrong spot :o:

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
Thank you Susanne. This is just like Christmas! If we were to get a cinnamon whiteface it would have to be a hen right? The Mom has no cinnamon, she is full pied pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies.