• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 29 yr conure declining

GTF

Checking out the neighborhood
Ive had her since she was a baby and just recently she fell hitting her head followed by hurting her leg. She's has changed so much.
Today she fell again ending up on her back.

When is it time to make that aweful decision to let her go? I'm struggling with it as anyone with a pet knows.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you taken her to a vet? Has she been diagnosed with anything? It could be something like arthritis which she could get pain meds for, etc. It's hard to give you an answer without knowing what the problem is but I'm sorry that she's having problems. (You can also try lowering her perches if she's following and getting her some platform perches if she's having gripping issues.)

GTF

Checking out the neighborhood
Have you taken her to a vet? Has she been diagnosed with anything? It could be something like arthritis which she could get pain meds for, etc. It's hard to give you an answer without knowing what the problem is but I'm sorry that she's having problems. (You can also try lowering her perches if she's following and getting her some platform perches if she's having gripping issues.)
Thank you for the input and suggestions, all of which has been addressed. Her decline started with a fall hitting her head. At her age, I know to watch for symptoms of not eating, withdrawal, etc. Just trying get a viewpoint of other bird lovers/owners as to when to let a bird go. Perhaps just tracing frequency of her falls or increase decline she may exhibited would be appropriate for now. If I'm already concern, wondering if this the correct time. Rather torn on which is best for Kiwi

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's quality of life. If she's still eating, seems happy, not in pain etc. Does your vet have an opinion?