• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 IRN babies dropped on my porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I was at the hospital yesterday and when I got home I found 2 baby IRN's. One is yellow and the other is green could any of you tell me what food to give and cage? I don't know what to do with them yet, the note they left asked me to please adopt them. I don't know who they came from, this is so weird :eek: Do they get along with the other parrots? Any information will help. I will post pictures soon :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my,that's terrible that someone just dumped them on you. Poor babies,thank god that your caring enough to take them in.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you post a photograph? How young are they? They are going to need to eat immediately. You need to get some hand feeding formula ASAP. Until we know how old they are, it's going to be hard to help. Do they belong in a brooder? I would get them in come kind of container with a heating pad set low underneath one half. Dog Gone them. :mad:

Ginger

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I hope someone has called you to offer some help. Maybe this thread should be moved to 911? Best of luck, they sound beautiful.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what is wrong with people that they think this is acceptable to drop animals off like that? What if you never came home? dear god...Do you know how to handfeed? From reading your past posts etc, I assume you do...For now give them seeds you have available and water...knowing their age would really help...I will pm Rebecca in Israel..she breeds them..maybe she can come on and give tips...do try to post pics.

pikamom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joan
Any idea of how old they are? Can you handle them? I agree with others- I would try some formula also if they won't eat seed or pellet. The idiot who dropped them at your house did one good thing though, she left them at your house!

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
OMG!! Poor babies! Well I am glad if they were going to dump them it was with you!

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
The idiot who dropped them at your house did one good thing though, she left them at your house!
I was thinking the exact same thing. At least they were left at a home where everything will be done to take care of them. The alternative doesnt bear thinking about

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow! Just awful. Thankfully they ended up on a good porch.

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
I was at the hospital yesterday and when I got home I found 2 baby IRN's. One is yellow and the other is green could any of you tell me what food to give and cage? I don't know what to do with them yet, the note they left asked me to please adopt them. I don't know who they came from, this is so weird :eek: Do they get along with the other parrots? Any information will help. I will post pictures soon :hug8:
Hi there since you know their colours , it means they have at least their pin feathers in so they are at least 6 weeks old. You can start them off with a cornmeal type porridge, it is easy to make, if they don't eat on their own, you can try with a syringe or from your fingers. All you do is take some ground cornmeal and mix with boiling water until thickened. I put mine in the microwave for 40 seconds to thicken. When it is tepid I feed it. You can also grate apples and grind nuts in it. Always feed from the birds left side. It takes only a bit to fill up their crop. Are they still dragging their heads down or are they holding them up erect and walking around. Take a look at my posts for more insight or you can go to You Tube Setoorac channel and watch the many films I have posted. Good luck.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How sad.. especially them only being babies. :( I am glad though, that they were dropped at a responsible person's porch.

Are they any younger than these babies? (this photo is mine by the way)

I found it really hard to hand-feed these babies above when I got them (they were pulled from mum and dad), but didn't take them long for them to get used to a spoon and the hand-feeding formula, they make the cutest noises when they are hungry.

Good luck with them, I am sure you will be fine though. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh Denise!:eek: Lots of good energy and thanks for taking them in.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
They are doing very good, I went to the vet today and they are healthy. I talked to Kathie and she told me what to get so I have to get a cage also. They are very cute I just wish I new who brought them to me, I just would like to ask about them. I will have pictures soon:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
You know, this kind of thing doesn't happen that I've heard of here in Canada, where birds are left on people's porches. I've only heard of this happening since coming here on A.A. and only in the U.S.A. I mean, these are expensive birds :eek:. I hope that's an indication that people are responsible with their pets here rather than that they're using irresponsible, inhumane ways in which to dispose of them:eek::eek:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Big hugs Denise. Someone probably knew you had birds and how well you take care of yours. :hug8: You are wonderful to take them in, I know you will find them a wonderful home if you cant keep them. They are very lucky to have landed with you. :hug8:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG I wanna see pics!!!! Did the note give their names?
At least these people cared enough to dump them on you rather then set them free or dump them at a pet store :hug8::hug8::hug8:

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I don't get this method of disposing of unwanted pets! Crazy! Good luck with these little birds and looking forward to some photos. I wonder why this person couldn't at least ring your bell and talk to you?

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Thank God they ended up with you! Poor babies being left like that:(

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
I don't get this method of disposing of unwanted pets! Crazy! Good luck with these little birds and looking forward to some photos. I wonder why this person couldn't at least ring your bell and talk to you?
magni was at the hospital at the time, maybe they did ring but got no answer, obviously they knew that magni likes birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.