• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 - 1 and futher

PapaRomeo

Checking out the neighborhood
In the beginning, I mentioned, I lost mini-macaw and got actually 2 macaws. One Blue-Gold and another GreenWing.

Both approached me and voluntary perched my arms when I came in to rehome to the surprise of the owners that were afraid of them to handle or even to approach.
They started moving closer and tried to hurt each other when I quickly moved one of the birds right into cage and separated them at no effort. Than quickly grabbed toes of BG and packed him onto first travel box... Romeo didn't apparently like what I did to Max and wasn't as cooperative so I used my black "handling jacket" to pack Romeo safe to another travel box.
At first, my retired roommate wanted to try to keep Max, the BG, but unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried to be a "bad guy" for Max by putting him back inside cage, covering him, spraying him with water(he needed that SO BAD), he still wanted me and was aggravated at appearance of my roommate or when heard me playing with Romeo.
Meanwhile Romeo fully bonded to me to the point of letting me file his nails, beak, washing him... in other words, the most cooperative animal I've ever owned and probably most smart non-human as well.
After 2 months of unsuccessful trying to bond Max with my roommate, I decided to re-home Max, since I couldn't handle 2 enemies at once or even one separate from another. I found nice lady who promised to share videos and photos with me as she works out bonds with Max and she did share. Within couple of weeks teenaged Max bonded and happy and so I am for Max.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Romeo is VERY TERRITORIAL when near me and DANGEROUS. Dangerous not only to my roommate approaching, but to me if I'm to close to stranger. He is 6...7 years of age. Eats pretty much anything you can think of. He's got his nut bowl with few dried walnuts and hazelnuts, Another bowl is filled with semi-dried watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkin seeds, Fruit bowl and veggie bowl. He's been noted to always alternate picks between the bowls. He's got few water bowls as well and one of them contains honey with water.
Right at this moment, He isn't caged and free roaming around house. When not in my presence, he lets my roommate approach, give him treats and refill his food and water bowls.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now QUESTION:
How do you handle situation that bird chosen you as mate?
Would you possibly give your bird a chance at least once in blue moon to "pop the cookies"?
In my situation Romeo would try to mount me so he would touch my ear with his tail and proceed or mount so his tail is around my leg or foot and proceed and if not me he'd try to do that to my chair...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My two birds (GWs) have never decided that I am their mate. During hormonal season when they get lovey with me I just push them away and don't interacts with them. Keeps it simple. They have never held it against me.

PapaRomeo

Checking out the neighborhood
My two birds (GWs) have never decided that I am their mate. During hormonal season when they get lovey with me I just push them away and don't interacts with them. Keeps it simple. They have never held it against me.
I know ways to keep away and to keep in or out, just unsure what is best. At this moment when I handle Romeo and someone else approach, I simply either place him back to his cage or move him away to safer distance.
I'm leaving for 10 days vacation so that may cease his hormonal desire as well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Generally it is the best just to ignore them and stay away from them. Your macaw at 7 yo is coming into the height of his hormones and you will have a number of years of dealing with them.