• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 11 Pounds of Chop?!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Made a huge batch of chop today for birds and rats! I actually ended up with over 11 lbs of food! If my math is correct, this will feed 2 beaks and 3 mouths for a little over 2 months :eek:

This is frozen into small baggies for easy thawing and distribution, and fed daily with fresh sprouts! I also usually also add some bird bread to the birds' dishes and some uncooked oatmeal for the rats.

This batch contains broccoli, kale, carrot, peas, corn, sweet potato, apple, pear, quinoa (red and white), buckwheat, lentils (red and green), wild rice, brown rice, millet, split peas (yellow and green), "super greens" noodles, and tofu.

IMG_20180319_161306_465.jpg

20180319_150744.jpg

20180319_150924.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

That looks amazing! :woot2: Also, is it weird that I also want to eat it? :eat:

Not at all! I was eating everything as I went. The quinoas, millet, and buckwheat came as a mix and I kept stealing spoonfuls. So yummy!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Tofu?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That looks great!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Yep, great source of calcium and protein! We're in heavy molts right now and still have young rats that need extra protein too so added a bit of organic extra firm to help everyone out :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Made a huge batch of chop today for birds and rats! I actually ended up with over 11 lbs of food! If my math is correct, this will feed 2 beaks and 3 mouths for a little over 2 months :eek:

This is frozen into small baggies for easy thawing and distribution, and fed daily with fresh sprouts! I also usually also add some bird bread to the birds' dishes and some uncooked oatmeal for the rats.

This batch contains broccoli, kale, carrot, peas, corn, sweet potato, apple, pear, quinoa (red and white), buckwheat, lentils (red and green), wild rice, brown rice, millet, split peas (yellow and green), "super greens" noodles, and tofu.

View attachment 272315

View attachment 272316

View attachment 272317
Or you could bring it to me for about a week's worth :D

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yep, great source of calcium and protein! We're in heavy molts right now and still have young rats that need extra protein too so added a bit of organic extra firm to help everyone out :)
Huh. Who knew. I think I tasted a tofu burger once.

I'm so very thankful I bought that chop from @aooratrix during the fundraiser. I'm very afraid my amazons are going to revolt when it's gone. Secret goes for the greens and charged me last night when I reached for the bowl! I thought the bird was finished because Secret was walking away at the time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Huh. Who knew. I think I tasted a tofu burger once.

I'm so very thankful I bought that chop from @aooratrix during the fundraiser. I'm very afraid my amazons are going to revolt when it's gone. Secret goes for the greens and charged me last night when I reached for the bowl! I thought the bird was finished because Secret was walking away at the time.

Tofu is very neutral but takes on flavors around it well. Marinated in greek dressing it makes an awesome salad topping. Yum!

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Wow that looks so good!!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That looks amazing!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Yep, I give Jasper some Tofu a couple of times a month. Like you said high protien and sure a lot better than animal protien. She loves the nasty stuff.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

View attachment 272315

View attachment 272316

View attachment 272317

oh for the critters... I thought you meant you were just really really hungry today and had a huge salad.

I wish my guys would eat chop so we could do more prep and freeze. But Max is more the guy who likes to sit on the counter and take the slice of cucumber, pepper, carrot or whatever from me. Ivory does not like smaller pieces either, they both like big chunks. I know I have weird birds... it just goes along with everything else that happens in our house!!

:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

oh for the critters... I thought you meant you were just really really hungry today and had a huge salad.

I wish my guys would eat chop so we could do more prep and freeze. But Max is more the guy who likes to sit on the counter and take the slice of cucumber, pepper, carrot or whatever from me. Ivory does not like smaller pieces either, they both like big chunks. I know I have weird birds... it just goes along with everything else that happens in our house!!

:)

It took a long time for Jingo to accept chop like this. For the longest time if I froze it at all, he wouldn't touch it. Now he prefers it to his dry food!

Birds are weird LOL

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm very lucky that mine will eat frozen with gusto. Conversely, mine are not huge fans of fresh, chunky salads...yet.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That looks awesome!!

I never knew anyone who fed their rats such nutritious meals (admittedly I don't know anyone with rats, but still) I wonder if your rats could beat the odds and live much longer than average? Has that been studied at all?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That looks awesome!!

I never knew anyone who fed their rats such nutritious meals (admittedly I don't know anyone with rats, but still) I wonder if your rats could beat the odds and live much longer than average? Has that been studied at all?

It seems that there are SOME people that do advocate feeding more fresh foods than I remember when I had rats 7 years ago, but I agree. I brought up my meal plan to people on a rat forum and was met with "only give them lab blocks" (aka pellets basically). And that's what I used to do way back then! They get SO much enrichment from eating that I can't imagine giving them just blocks anymore. And I was happy to see on the Oxbow bag that it actually suggests only 75% of their food being the diet, with 20% fresh foods, and 5% treats. Mine might be getting more like 60/40 right now because I am a terrible overfeeder :lol:

I am not sure if it has been studied much at all, to be honest!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
How do you cook your lentils? I've given up on them because it seems there is a microsecond around which they go from hard uncooked to mush and I cannot seem to find that point. I'm at 7500 ft altitude so that makes cooking some things weird but I did finally figure out some beans. I'd really love to do lentils.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How do you cook your lentils? I've given up on them because it seems there is a microsecond around which they go from hard uncooked to mush and I cannot seem to find that point. I'm at 7500 ft altitude so that makes cooking some things weird but I did finally figure out some beans. I'd really love to do lentils.

I usually add them to boiling water and then cook for 15 to 20 minutes. I usually have them in with quinoa so when the quinoa sprouts their tails I take the pot off and both are usually done at that point :)