• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy ideas for a picky bird?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now that he likes the Sola you can try to mix sola and balsa when you make toys. That might encourage him to try the balsa a little more. Than you could also gradually add a 1/4" Pine Wafer into the mix.

I've been making things a little easier for Buddy by adding the Balsa but making toys w/ a combo of woods. It's working well & he's playing a ton more! I've never spent this much $ on a bookcase for myself! :pinklol2:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've been making things a little easier for Buddy by adding the Balsa but making toys w/ a combo of woods. It's working well & he's playing a ton more! I've never spent this much $ on a bookcase for myself! :pinklol2:
I do that exact thing! I've got my birds onto pine now, too, simply by putting it with other textures I know they like. My conure's beak was growing strange on the sides, AV thinks it's just part of his wear pattern, but now that he's on pine it looks perfect!

Before I switch toys I always try them in a few different locations within the cage.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Success! I got a toy with 1/4 balsa slats and he hadn't touched it the first time but I put back in his cage on a whim today. He destroyed it this time and I'm not sure why but I'm happy for him!

View attachment 306736
I regularly buy an arsenal of balsa from California Bird Nerds, she has the regular small slats up to these really big pieces! I have a few skewers and I put a bunch of stuff on there, harder and softer, they're so easy. I feel like I am bad at making toys but when they destroy it you know you did well!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I regularly buy an arsenal of balsa from California Bird Nerds, she has the regular small slats up to these really big pieces! I have a few skewers and I put a bunch of stuff on there, harder and softer, they're so easy. I feel like I am bad at making toys but when they destroy it you know you did well!

It's almost a mindset now, the faster it goes, the quieter & better behaved he is. Mommy's thinking hmmmmm more of that wood, it poofed! But I like how Ann has everyone working up on woods. Your very right about the pine, tends to fix those beaks up really nice! He was bored w/ not enough textures I think... Balsa w/ pine interlaced... Anything to make them mentally & physically busy.I

He loves Anns flowers btw!