• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy ideas for a picky bird?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think you can be terrible at making bird toys. Maybe they wont look at good as some other peoples but all that matters it the toy has items on it you bird likes.
I just sit every toy part I want to use next to me on the couch and go from 1 item to the next watch not to use 2 of the same colors next to each other. I use a leather string tie the bottom and just start adding. If I think one toy is to small a piece that its hiding in larger piece I'll pull the part out and add it later or just leave it out.

As long as they have a toy with there favorite items and you used all safe parts you can't really go wrong with how you make it. If you can't make it wrong you can't do it terrible. You'll be fine at it look at other toys if you want but they really are just piece put together in a way that's pleasing to us more so then the bird. I sit here thinking dose this color look good next to this color and I don't want to of the same color next to each other in truth my boy doesn't care about any of that. If I give him soft items hes happy. His favorite is bird bagels, yucca and cardboard. I was thinking next time of trying to put in some unbleached coffee filters easy for him to destroy and not to pricey plus it adds a different item.

Only other info on it I think I can give is watch for colors your bird may like or dislike. You don't have to only use the color they like but you do want to avoid colors they dislike. My boy doesn't seem picky about colors in a toy but does have his favorites for toys to carry around.

I think this is true. Buddy doesn't even care if it's a built toy. He loves the wood rings & the notched wood that Cabirdnerds carries. Alone no strings attached.

Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -

1-1/2" Wood Ring

Wood Ring, 1-3/4"

Maybe something easy like these may work by themselves

Wood Flowers

Sometimes the ugliest toys are they're favorites! :)

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Success! I got a toy with 1/4 balsa slats and he hadn't touched it the first time but I put back in his cage on a whim today. He destroyed it this time and I'm not sure why but I'm happy for him!

IMG_20190606_135931.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah! I'm so glad to hear it! Maybe start putting in more old toys. I hope he got a reward... That's the best way to encourage in the very beginning.

:hug7:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 I have tried playing with him. I tear the toys apart for him and make a big fuss when he tries it. He'll bite the toys once or twice but then he loses interest. But I really want him to be interested in playing with toys when I am busy and he needs to entertain himself.

@Mizzely
I have had luck with one that was very thin balsa slats, but of course I can't find it anywhere now. Large/medium toys made of soft things are harder to find in my local bird store for whatever reason. I saw that your shop has some though so I ordered some from you. The problem I run into with the smaller toys is that they seem to be too small for the cage itself so when I hang them in his cage he can barely reach them. The chain toy extenders are often a problem as well as he's a little too nervous about them. I do have a lot of planet pleasures toys because I got them on sale. Milo doesn't seem that much of a fan but the caiques are happy with them.

@Rain Bow
I will have to try those toys. He doesn't really have cage mounted toys so it's certainly worth a shot. I never considered that I was changing them too much. I'll give him a bit longer this time. Maybe a 2-3 weeks?

Foraging is mostly a no go. Because Eclectus have a special fresh diet it's a little trickier. Especially as I have been warned off nuts for now. He will happily use skewers like this though.

View attachment 306451

Be creative....I got this card board box out, put on floor. Was 2 feet wide, x 2 feet wide x a foot high...cut hole on one side so they can go in...placed some things in there, and my grey and zon loves it. Keeps them busy. Hiding.
Used baby shoes from thirft store, cleaned and washed, usually soft leather, they like chewing on. make a house out of balsa wood sheets...prop them up with pillows.
Tupperware container with lids and put treats in them...then watch them go at it getting treat out.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I think this is true. Buddy doesn't even care if it's a built toy. He loves the wood rings & the notched wood that Cabirdnerds carries. Alone no strings attached.
The key is birds enjoy it better if you set aside play time. And play "toys" with them. By themselves is not as much fun as playing together. I've learned that from trial and error. Now my grey brings out the toy he wants me to play with him with. It's always the same one. An old toy that was the first one we played together with...had tons of toys, but always chooses that particular one. They know, they remember the fun, and want to do it again. Together!!!

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The key is birds enjoy it better if you set aside play time. And play "toys" with them. By themselves is not as much fun as playing together. I've learned that from trial and error. Now my grey brings out the toy he wants me to play with him with. It's always the same one. An old toy that was the first one we played together with...had tons of toys, but always chooses that particular one. They know, they remember the fun, and want to do it again. Together!!!

I just do this naturally. I didn't even think to mention it! Must be that residual parent thing from when my kiddo was a wee one.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Used baby shoes from thirft store, cleaned and washed, usually soft leather, they like chewing on.
I wouldn't offer anything other than vegetable tanned leather. Chrome tanning involves some pretty toxic chemicals. Most leathers will have undergone a chrome tanning process, especially coloured leathers and thin leathers. Chrome tanned leather is also usually softer and, because it doesn't stain or scuff as easily, is often used for shoes.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I wouldn't offer anything other than vegetable tanned leather. Chrome tanning involves some pretty toxic chemicals. Most leathers will have undergone a chrome tanning process, especially coloured leathers and thin leathers. Chrome tanned leather is also usually softer and, because it doesn't stain or scuff as easily, is often used for shoes.
Most baby shoes made use aldehyde tanning process which is chrome free and toxin free.
My uncle is plant manager of wolverine world wide in Rockford Michigan. Home of the original hush puppies.
Now if shoes are made in china, I would be concerned, they use harsh chemicals, and the so called leather is from cat and dogs. They slaughter cats and dogs to make shoes and boots. One of the biggest importers of leather shoes to america. Don't believe me ??? Look it up! Animal rights activists came down hard on China a few years back. Buy american, and you won't have problems with toxins and chemicals that China sends us. Glad they put the tariff on them...

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most baby shoes made use aldehyde tanning process which is chrome free and toxin free.
My uncle is plant manager of wolverine world wide in Rockford Michigan. Home of the original hush puppies.
Now if shoes are made in china, I would be concerned, they use harsh chemicals, and the so called leather is from cat and dogs. They slaughter cats and dogs to make shoes and boots. One of the biggest importers of leather shoes to america. Don't believe me ??? Look it up! Animal rights activists came down hard on China a few years back. Buy american, and you won't have problems with toxins and chemicals that China sends us. Glad they put the tariff on them...
I feel the same way about China & some of the things that they try to sell us. Problem is we don't make a heck of a lot of stuff here in the US anymore.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I feel the same way about China & some of the things that they try to sell us. Problem is we don't make a heck of a lot of stuff here in the US anymore.
Well we do make a lot of things, problem is people go for the cheaper stuff, which is made in china.
China has been know to use toxic paint in many hundreds of items sold to u.s.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
He's not into leather, he seems to prefer paper rope. He's not interested in toys when I'm around. I play with my caiques like this but Milo just side eyes me like I'm being weird. Mostly he just wants to chill out with me when I'm around. He grinds his beak and makes lots of happy noises so I must be doing something right there.

The problem with most treats and foraging toys is that eckies have a fresh food diet so I couldn't just use a foraging toy for a couple days. He isn't very food motivated anyway.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's not into leather, he seems to prefer paper rope. He's not interested in toys when I'm around. I play with my caiques like this but Milo just side eyes me like I'm being weird. Mostly he just wants to chill out with me when I'm around. He grinds his beak and makes lots of happy noises so I must be doing something right there.

The problem with most treats and foraging toys is that eckies have a fresh food diet so I couldn't just use a foraging toy for a couple days. He isn't very food motivated anyway.

I just bought some cool paper rope from @calibird 's shop. It works grand for foot toys & Buddy's attracted to the great colors that Ann carries.

My first order I bought Purple & Dk. Blue IMG_20190611_005715_hdr.jpg

My 2nd order I bought 3 more colors Lt. Blue., Pink & Lt. Green :heart: pink. Its a Neon pink! I'm gonna try to get @ least 1 rope quantity each order I put in & try to get the whole Rainbow assortment she carr (I :heart: them that much)

IMG_20190611_005805_hdr.jpg

Here a little foot Toy I threw together today. This is made w/ parts (All) from Ann's store. IMG_20190611_005918.jpg

Here's the link to her home page in case you're interested in checking it out.

Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -

:gbh:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
I just bought some cool paper rope from @calibird 's shop. It works grand for foot toys & Buddy's attracted to the great colors that Ann carries.

:gbh:
Bad news on this Paper Rope....It has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I am trying to find a new supplier and haven't had a lot of luck. I can get it in brown. The brown just doesn't dye.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bad news on this Paper Rope....It has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I am trying to find a new supplier and haven't had a lot of luck. I can get it in brown. The brown just doesn't dye.

Oh no sniff! :arghh:. :crycry2:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I think the problem is solved now! He's been toy crazy since I switched to balsa and sola toys. The secret was sola, he loves it apparently! It seems like once he got started tearing up toys he really got into it.

@calibird I ordered some sola sticks from you guys and they're almost all gone now. When the store is available for orders again I'm going to order more for sure (and a bunch else). The only problem is how quickly they go through them but I can't complain about that!

@Mizzely The toys I got from you went over well too. The caiques loved them as well. Demolished them quick. IMG_20190613_133210.jpg IMG_20190614_010048.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yay I'm so glad!! :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cork & mahogany pods are soft too! Just a thought!

Mizzley has Balsa Spike, he may like that after awhile. It's right on here main site page.

I'm so glad he's playing finally! It sounds like he's having a ball, & is so good for his mental & physical well-being.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
I think the problem is solved now! He's been toy crazy since I switched to balsa and sola toys. The secret was sola, he loves it apparently! It seems like once he got started tearing up toys he really got into it.

@calibird I ordered some sola sticks from you guys and they're almost all gone now. When the store is available for orders again I'm going to order more for sure (and a bunch else). The only problem is how quickly they go through them but I can't complain about that!

@Mizzely The toys I got from you went over well too. The caiques loved them as well. Demolished them quick. View attachment 307249 View attachment 307250
Now that he likes the Sola you can try to mix sola and balsa when you make toys. That might encourage him to try the balsa a little more. Than you could also gradually add a 1/4" Pine Wafer into the mix.