• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie Housing

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
@Zara and @Leih: Thanks for the suggestions! What about size dimensions?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Last edited:

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
@Zara I love your set-up! That piece of cardboard is probably the smartest bird hack I've ever seen! If I get a linnie, I would be sure to use it!

EDIT: Does anyone know if linnies are especially messy? I think I'm getting one of those "no-mess" feeders for the cage.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would not put my two in that cage. Not big enough for 2.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Those cages are sold as finch flight cages. I feel that is accurate.

The cage does me well for Adelie because she is special needs. The cardboard is softer for her foot - once she doesn´t poop on it so much, I will sew her something on a platform.
The thing is that the cage isn´t very tall. But I would 100% recommend this if you have a special needs little bird, budgie, parrotlet, lovebird etc.

With cages, I think what makes an impact on which cage to buy is out of cage time for the bird. A lot of people use cages as beds, but if you don´t (as would be in your case) you will need a bigger cage so that the bird can fly inside it. When you see minimum cage sizes for birds, those are for night cages. Really you should get the biggest cage you can.

Look for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Mi...s=flight+cage&qid=1556101387&s=gateway&sr=8-4
It is a very cheap cage, unfortunately it has guillotine doors, but you can secure those down. I have a cage this size but with out the stand. It is a good size for a small bird; budgie, lovebird, parrotlet

Here is another cage: https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Produ...s=flight+cage&qid=1556101387&s=gateway&sr=8-2
I can´t figure out the doors on this one though, the front door type on the first link are the best IMO

Small birds are very active, and so they need a big cage so they can be active in it.

I also have this cage: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More A great one for little birds, all the doors have safe locks, no guillotine doors, it´s very secure.

@Lady Jane Maybe you can post which cage Mickey and Murphy have to give OP a better understanding? :)

This link may help you: Post your cage set-ups! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

(I hope it´s clear what I´m trying to say.)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
@Zara and @Lady Jane thanks for the advice! I'll continue searching for the right cage.
Do you recommend buying toys separately or in a set?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
They don't particularly throw their food around, they mainly drop. They will try to eat stuff from the bottom so having the pull out tray is a must.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
They don't particularly throw their food around, they mainly drop. They will try to eat stuff from the bottom so having the pull out tray is a must.
Thanks for the advice!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is almost no food on the floor around Gigi's cage. I've heard others say that Linnie poop ends up outside the cage @Leih ? but I've not had that experience. In fact, Gigi does her enormous morning plop the same place each day so I put an extra paper towel layer under there.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
There is almost no food on the floor around Gigi's cage. I've heard others say that Linnie poop ends up outside the cage @Leih ? but I've not had that experience. In fact, Gigi does her enormous morning plop the same place each day so I put an extra paper towel layer under there.
Wow, Gigi seems like a well-behaved bird!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Forget the 2nd one.
Nice cage for a finch or a special needs small bird.

For the 1st cage, remember those guillotine doors need clipped shut.