• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do budgies bond for life

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
if they seem bonded as young around 10 weeks old do they stay together bonded for life and if male and female breed for life? Or is that false information I’ve read online? I’m starting to feel guilty for not bringing home my yellow wings buddy from the store, they were preening and feeding each other at the store. Lmk your thoughts.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
No they do not bond/mate for life that is a myth

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Lol, that’s what I thought.... proof bunch of b.s. on the Internet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Thanks for the links, interesting

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yeah, I never believed the life bond else they'd never partner up again. We often see the acceptance of another m8, that urge to spread genes wins out.
The loss of a long term friend however, especially male-male, does openly show a 'mourning' period more than the loss of a mate.
Mates before dates lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
AEED4D59-0553-43E6-8172-D7A50A300CFC.jpeg 8B00D9B0-0DE2-43FB-86D4-31BF32075027.jpeg FDF0BE49-B9E4-4181-B739-E1E5D80148C3.jpeg

I brought home the yellow winged one on Tuesday 2/19, do you think if I went and got the recessive pied one today they would remember each other? Since it’s only 2/22? (I’m feeling guilty for not Getting them both at the same time)

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I am not sure, but making assumptions that in the wild where birds live on the edge, finding food water, predators etc, I doubt if lifetime bonding exists.
But in a domestic situation, with just a couple of birds, as opposed to hundreds of birds flocking in the wild.
I really could see that in small domestic setups then lifelong bonding could happen. This is purely my own reasoning.

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Yea I know I’m most likely over thinking it, but it does make ya wonder...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes they would remember each other

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww They were so sweet together.. I know if I were going to buy a bird from the petshop and saw the two like this I would have bought the pair of them.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
they do remember each other, and us, for much longer than 3 days.
I had a little 5 week-old guy for 2 weeks in February 2017 here before I had to let him go to someone else since it was only chaos home with him and my 2 other males.
He came back 2 weeks in July while his owner was on vacation and I visited him some time in September again to pick a forgotten bowl up after my birds had been there while I was on vacation.
The then 9 month-old little guy jumped on me to say hello, which his owner said he never did with strangers, so he clearly remembered me as his "first mommy", although we only had 2 + 2 weeks of history together and he had spent most of his time with my birds, not me.

That has also happened with swallows I had taken care of at a wildlife hospital in UK, they recognized me after several days of not seing me, and came to me, which is something the staff had never seen wild birds doing.
And when my 2 budgies escaped and I found them back after 3 and 4 days, they recognized both me and each other, as do all my birds when I leave them in someone else's care for 2 or 3 weeks in the Summer. They clearly recognize me when they see me again and show how happy they are.

It has also been proven that singing birds give "names" to their kids, each of them has a distinct sound that the parents use only for them. In my opinion, this implies much deeper bonds than people used to think small birds are able to, and we should not underestimate the trauma and sorrow we submit them to when we separate them from their friends and mates.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@ashgate Maybe there is a space in your home for his friend?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Swans and penguins do...
Yes and their is more too. :)
I am not sure, but making assumptions that in the wild where birds live on the edge, finding food water, predators etc, I doubt if lifetime bonding exists.
But in a domestic situation, with just a couple of birds, as opposed to hundreds of birds flocking in the wild.
I really could see that in small domestic setups then lifelong bonding could happen. This is purely my own reasoning.
I agree with you that their is some difference.
In the wild their main goal is to survive and reproduce.
I think that most specie will bond again, but some never will. (That is sad)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have my fingers crossed, I can´t wait for the update!!!❤:)

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
I went first thing this morning & I was all set to get him, but then I noticed one of the others had wet poop stuck all over its vent and the skin looked pink, they had a bowl full of veggies that they were eating, so maybe diarrhea from too much veggies every day? Or some illness. So I didn’t get him, I notified the store manager. Might check back this week.... but felt unsure and sad leaving.