• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a single bird be just as happy as two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ask because I remember Java's breeder saying that he would do best in an only-bird home, but she didn't specify why. I'm perfectly happy just having him and spoiling him, but I do wonder if he would enjoy the company of another bird. However, prior to me adopting him, he was housed with another male for several years who he hated, apparently. I remember reading it's best to have birds of similar beak size if you have more than one, but in all honesty, I have my hands full with just him, and I think adding a second bird would push me beyond what I could handle. Part of me is curious to see how he would interact with another bird, but everything I've read about Vasas say that other birds perceive them as hawks because of their flight pattern and the way they move. Being that Java is my first parrot, I have no way to compare his movement to other species, so I don't know if he would seem threatening. Regardless, I like to believe he'll be perfectly happy being spoiled as an only-bird, but I am curious. By no means would I go out and get another bird just to sate this curiosity, but I do wonder.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I think if they get along with other birds they’ll usually be happier with a friend. Some birds that have been alone for many years just never like other birds, but my green cheek was alone for 5 yrs before he met other birds, and I am getting him a friend sometime in the next few months/year. Sometimes if a bird is very closely bonded with a human they won’t get along with other birds, but again my green cheek is closely bonded to me and gets along with other birds. A lot of times when people say their birds dislike other birds they’ve only met other birds once or twice, my green cheek hated other birds the first time he met them. He gets weekly playdates and has slowly been letting other birds closer and closer, now he’s decided he likes them after all. But some birds get jealous of other birds getting attention so they’d be happier alone. It’s it’s really a yes or no would they be happier with a friend, depends on the bird. But it’s a yes if the bird likes other birds & doesn’t have jealously issues.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think it depends on if he thinks he’s a bird or a person. Some birds don’t care much if another bird is around or not, they just want human interaction. Niko, and to a lesser degree, Sunset are this way. I think even then, though, having another bird in the house helps ease loneliness when humans aren’t around.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
It really depends on the bird. Usually, birds that have been around other birds are happier with another bird and vice versa. It also depends on how much time y'all spend with him.

Knowing about you and Java's past leads me to believe he couldn't be happier alone.
Really, it comes down to you and your need for freedom. You may have been told that because she didn't want Java to ever, again, feel abandoned or tossed aside.
Letting go of a disabled bird is hard. Hopefully, you send occasional pics and updates. Even though Java may have come from a bad, breeder bird situation, he still was cared about!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is not an easy answer, and my personal answer has changed so many times now.

The cliffnotes version is: It depends not only on the bird you have, but the bird you are bringing home, too.

For Jingo's first 6 months with me as a baby, he was an only bird. I brought home Koopa and they were BFFs immediately. They went everywhere together, she taught him to eat good foods, and generally, they were happy. I became an advocate for birds not being kept alone.

When Koopa GCC went missing 3 years ago, I brought home Bobber after about 4 months of him being alone, because I thought he needed a friend again, because I didn't think he should be alone for the first time in his then 4 years.

Bobber and Jingo seemed to get along fine, and were a flock - they flew around together, screamed together, etc. I have read so many times that even if birds don't get along, they appreciate having a friend that speaks their language. So I was committed, still, to the idea that 2 is better than 1. They were together 3 years and their relationship stayed at an "acquaintance that you don't text back" level of friendship :lol:

However, Bobber has been gone almost a month, and Jingo is a whole new bird. He is eating better, has stopped plucking (though admitted,I believe he was only plucking because he wasn't eating right) and for the first time in over 3 years is playing with toys again. Now he is happily playing by himself, enjoying more time with us, and screaming less.

The reason it is complicated is because he really was friends with Koopa. Those two were amazing together. So when it came to them, yes, he was a happy bird.
With a same species friend, he was not as happy.

Was he happier with or without Koopa? I honestly don't know. It's hard to quantify happiness. Going forward though, for Jingo, I think he is currently happiest as the only bird.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really depends on the bird. Usually, birds that have been around other birds are happier with another bird and vice versa. It also depends on how much time y'all spend with him.

Knowing about you and Java's past leads me to believe he couldn't be happier alone.
Really, it comes down to you and your need for freedom. You may have been told that because she didn't want Java to ever, again, feel abandoned or tossed aside.
Letting go of a disabled bird is hard. Hopefully, you send occasional pics and updates. Even though Java may have come from a bad, breeder bird situation, he still was cared about!
She and I are in regular contact, and as far as my need for freedom, I'm a house flower and I'd much rather be at home than out socializing. Java and I are together almost 24/7 and I enjoy every second of his company. :)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
She and I are in regular contact, and as far as my need for freedom, I'm a house flower and I'd much rather be at home than out socializing. Java and I are together almost 24/7 and I enjoy every second of his company. :)
I'm glad to hear that y'all stay in contact!
I knew your were with Java 24/7 but didn't feel it was my place to say. What I would like to say is that I appreciate that you love and spoil him and obviously he does, too. You are Java's everything and should be proud!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think that the most important thing is that they never should be alone. That is why I have too.
When I had just Eloy (before Akela come) I did bring him with me, but sometimes I had to leave him home. I did monitor him, and when I was away he was sleeping. He didn't eat or playing until I got home. I felt terrible every time I had to leave him, in some way I was getting a depression from it.
After Akela arrived, it did felt much better for me. But I'm sure that he didn't. He didn't wanted Akela, he only wanted me. And it was the same until he died.
But one thing she did learn him, and that was to eat when I was away.

Java and I are together almost 24/7 and I enjoy every second of his company. :)
And I'm sure that he enjoys every second too. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not unless you are a bird (to make up the flock).

Answer this. Could you live alone for the rest of your life without seeing another person?

Yes you could but what a crappy life.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Not unless you are a bird (to make up the flock).

Answer this. Could you live alone for the rest of your life without seeing another person?

The only reason I slightly disagree with your response is because of my own experience with Fred. Fred was raised with only people around, he is a people's bird. I got Bandit, not only because I wanted a Bare Eye Cockatoo, but also I wanted a friend for Fred. Bandit is willing, but Fred is so jealous of him, which he shows by constantly trying to attack Bandit.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The only reason I slightly disagree with your response is because of my own experience with Fred. Fred was raised with only people around, he is a people's bird. I got Bandit, not only because I wanted a Bare Eye Cockatoo, but also I wanted a friend for Fred. Bandit is willing, but Fred is so jealous of him, which he shows by constantly trying to attack Bandit.

Fred only knows what he knows because of his history. Had he lived with other birds in the past, especially early on (no matter the species) he would have learned to be a more natural bird simply by example and exposure. The biggest thing with cockatoos is this unnatural human/mate bond that forms because of situations like that. As he has with you.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd loved his brother when they were together till he died early in their time with me. We grieved for his brother together and became best buds for the rest of his life. He was happy, played with his toys, and requested scritches and treats. He knew his name, had a name for himself and a name for me. I'm sure if he met another Maxi he would have been happy but other birds we rescued that were smaller or weren't Maxi's he was jealous of and hated. Like has been said it depends on the bird and their situation, plus some birds are just more flock oriented. Dobby seems to like anyone he meets and lived with a few birds and they all got along and had a great time. I also don't think I have the time or money to deal with multiple birds but I certainly would take one in that needed a better life and see how it goes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great topic for discussion. I know species with strong flock instincts are happier and healthier when not a single bird.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I know species with strong flock instincts are happier and healthier when not a single bird.
Some types of birds are definitely better in a flock. Like our budgies. Some individual birds may not be. My Sherman is a good example. Some birds need a friend, Like my Daytona. That's when you must consider the bird.

Like @Dartman's examples, it can go both ways.
Java seems to prefer human company and is angered by other birds, even of the same species. If that were to change, @Brittany0208 would surely find Java a friend. That's just how she is. If Sherman ever shows the desire for a friend, she'll have one as fast as possible.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Fred only knows what he knows because of his history. Had he lived with other birds in the past, especially early on (no matter the species) he would have learned to be a more natural bird simply by example and exposure.
That seems to be the keys! HISTORY and PAST EXPERIENCE.

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
It depends on the bird but most birds are fine on their own if you give them a lot of attention and time with you. They can be happy with a mate just as well. What is your bird breed, I don't think you specified?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the bird but most birds are fine on their own if you give them a lot of attention and time with you. They can be happy with a mate just as well. What is your bird breed, I don't think you specified?
He is a Greater Vasa

Kslee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kaiden
Okay, thank you. From my experience that bird should be fine with or without a mate. You can search up pros and cons of your bird with a mate as there are quite a few of each. Either way your bird should be happy with you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.