• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis Update..

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
My two were so quiet over the weekend becuz of the heat n humidity. I had to check to see if they were ok. Too quiet is scary.
Trust me, quiet here when we can't see Dobby is bad as well and he isn't a Too. Usually he's chewing something forbidden or trying to eat soap or something else bad for him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom , did you all the get home safe,
Yes, we all made it home safely, thanks for asking! It took us longer than planned. There was a lot of road construction and then we hit Pittsburgh at rush hour. Sigh. We were all really happy to get out of the car when we finally got home. And after a bit of initial panic, Elvis seemed to really like his back pack carrier! It gives him a lot more visibility than his other carrier did and the perch is up higher too. So he really handled the long drive well.

I was actually sad taking Elvis from Bob and Kathy and his new bird friends (but happy to have him back!). They of course took great care of Elvis, and I know he enjoyed being with them. I hope Buddy isn't upset over the loss of his "special friend". Milton was probably glad to see him go. LOL. Bob and Howie talked quite a bit, and I think Bob gave Howie the confidence he needed to start working with Elvis again. And as expected, when we got to Bob's, Elvis only wanted Howie. Heavy sigh. I've said it before, but I really can't thank Bob and Kathy enough for taking care of Elvis for us. It gave Howie the peace and quiet that he needed to recover. So, we are very grateful.

Elvis settled right back in to being home. After the long car ride, he was pretty much crazy bird for the rest of the evening. Flying everywhere, opening cabinet doors, etc. We're going to try to start being a bit more strict with Elvis but it was his first night back and so close to his bedtime that I decided to just let him fly around and unwind. Unfortunately, he gave Howie a few nips. Not bites really but one nip was on his cheek. I was a little heart broken over that. I didn't really expect things to change without us working at it but I thought we might have a bit of a return "honeymoon" period. Wrong. LOL. Howie took it all in stride though and seems committed to working with Elvis- to which I give a lot of credit to Bob. Elvis as always was good for me- which is so weird because he likes Howie. And we did get some scratches and cuddles in between him flying around. He of course didn't want to go to bed. But I implemented Bob's suggested quiet time before bed with him and that did seem to really calm him down. Unfortunately, he later woke up and screamed off and on for 3 hours. Sigh. But Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

Elvis was up and at it, at 6:30 this morning. And he and I fell right back into our regular morning routine, including him taking a nap on me for a bit. When I left for work, he was screaming but Howie still seemed okay with it. There wasn't really time last night to reintroduce him to the bird room and his new cage. So I let him sleep in his regular cage downstairs but hopefully by today or tomorrow he will be staying in and sleeping in the bedroom. I hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for following Elvis's vacation! And thanks Bob for all the updates!

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Unfortunately, he gave Howie a few nips. Not bites really but one nip was on his cheek. I was a little heart broken over that. I didn't really expect things to change without us working at it but I thought we might have a bit of a return "honeymoon" period. Wrong. LOL. Howie took it all in stride though and seems committed to working with Elvis- to which I give a lot of credit to Bob.

Ow! But you're so right, Rome wasn't built in a day. (That was one of my Mom's favorite expressions!) So glad ya'll made it back home and Elvis liked his carrier too. Can't wait to hear how he likes his new cage today or tomorrow!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I do hope E understands he has his own place now.
I think Elvis will respond well to having a "space (room) of his own"...that way he SHOULD be less inclined to buzz out to the kitchen and play havoc on the cupboards. ;) You noticed I did say "should". I know the few times he flew out to the kitchen here he was eyeing up our cupboard doors...but he was immediately sent on his way! I don't know if E thought we weren't watching him...but we were! :watching: :rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think Elvis will respond well to having a "space (room) of his own"...that way he SHOULD be less inclined to buzz out to the kitchen and play havoc on the cupboards. ;) You noticed I did say "should". I know the few times he flew out to the kitchen here he was eyeing up our cupboard doors...but he was immediately sent on his way! I don't know if E thought we weren't watching him...but we were! :watching: :rofl:
LOL. Of all the mischievous things Elvis does, opening the cupboards probably bothers me the least. However, he also knows that when he's up there I can't reach him without a step ladder. And Elvis needs to start understanding boundaries better. My error, I think, has been that since he's so good for me usually, I don't correct him enough when he's not which doesn't probably help then when he's just "naughty" in general for Howie. The weird thing is when we first got him, Howie was the one out of the two of us who could more easily get him to do things....

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
...and there will be an open spot here in the computer room big enough for a large cage...but enough said about that. ;)

Michelle brought Elvis up here to Erie on May 8th..so he's been here about 6 weeks. It was certainly an interesting first day... we broke the latch off his cage door and he chewed his way out of his carrier...both in the first hour he was here...;)
wow they can do that?!! :0

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I bet! He sounds like such a little devil! Lol
Elvis or Buddy? ;)

Elvis is pretty much a constant ball of motion. So, I think he just decided he had enough of being confined to his little carrier and wanted out. LOL. I love mornings with him because he's a little cuddle bird then and wants scritches and gives like 20 kisses. But then after that, the mayhem begins. He's actually a good bird- but he's a cockatoo....

I actually think that he has calmed down some after spending time with Bob. Bob was good at trying to teach Elvis patience. So, hopefully, we can continue to work on that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I actually think that he has calmed down some after spending time with Bob. Bob was good at trying to teach Elvis patience. So, hopefully, we can continue to work on that.
HA!!! Good one. (I repeat) Wait for it. :lol:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Trying to teach a 'too anything is really a crap shoot, at best. :) It was more that Elvis HAD to wait sometimes for things...like breakfast, for example. In a large family ...or flock... for that matter, kids (or birds ;)) learn patience pretty early...:yes3:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Trying to teach a 'too anything is really a crap shoot, at best. :) It was more that Elvis HAD to wait sometimes for things...like breakfast, for example. In a large family ...or flock... for that matter, kids (or birds ;)) learn patience pretty early...:yes3:
Yup. And now that Elvis is home he has them right where he wants them. :D

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yup. And now that Elvis is home he has them right where he wants them. :D
To quote Milton..."GOT DAT RIGHT!"

Being serious for the moment...Elvis is a very intelligent, mature, male 'too...and quite the challenging guy...he knows what he wants, what he likes, and knows how to go about getting the things he wants and likes...it's a challenge not to be manipulated by him...

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:heart2:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Like the day Lurch punched a couple of holes in my ear so we had a bad talk and he spent a timeout birdy swearing at me while we both calmed down. I and he finally seemed OK so I carefully let him out in the late afternoon. He landed on my chair and said hi sweetheart... I figured we were good to go after that and it certainly melted my heart.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
To quote Milton..."GOT DAT RIGHT!"

Being serious for the moment...Elvis is a very intelligent, mature, male 'too...and quite the challenging guy...he knows what he wants, what he likes, and knows how to go about getting the things he wants and likes...it's a challenge not to be manipulated by him...
I give Freddy seed treat when he goes back to his cage. He sat and looked at me when I put seed in his treat cup. I showed him his treat was there....he stared at me. Hmmmm....ok, I got his big dish, held it up and he put his paw on the rim to hold it, he expected me to stand and hold the dish! He's too much! They are very manipulative. I am learning he can be very manipulative and he's got my heart and I swear he knows it!:bored::laugh:o_O