• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not going to use the big shopvac anymore!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i got the exhaust suppresor and slid it on. It has a tiny lip to secure it to the shopvac. I made sure it was very tightly on. Well, while vacuuming it blew right off and smashed into the furniture at cage level. Everyone was caged but it could have hit a cage and if anyone was clinging to the bars they would be shredded by the impact. So since the debris is too much for a non shopvac to handle, it’s back to the broom for me.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad no one got hurt.
I always end up sweeping before I vacuum and even then crumbs get missed.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my. I'm glad a disaster was averted.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
not good.....

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Glad no one was hurt!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
What about a duct tape harness to help secure the suppressor on the exhaust port? It worked to secure the muffler on my grandfather's woodworking vacuum which also had a tendency to fall off and shoot across the garage. A permanent Velcro harness could also be made.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, Dobby makes a big pile of nutri berry crumbs under his cage where he likes to sit and munch. Last time I swept the big pile away then vacuumed the rest with our little Orec shoulder vac as the cordless wasn't making a dent and the big canister I broke the power head cord so using the older one that needs a belt and new hose. At least everyone is fine and nothing is broken.
I spose you can use it if you're careful where you point it or maybe put a towel over the exhaust or maybe a short extra hose to redirect the exhaust. How is Shark cordless doing so far?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
What about a duct tape harness to help secure the suppressor on the exhaust port? It worked to secure the muffler on my grandfather's woodworking vacuum which also had a tendency to fall off and shoot across the garage. A permanent Velcro harness could also be made.
Brilliant, Lois! Thanks!
Yeah, Dobby makes a big pile of nutri berry crumbs under his cage where he likes to sit and munch. Last time I swept the big pile away then vacuumed the rest with our little Orec shoulder vac as the cordless wasn't making a dent and the big canister I broke the power head cord so using the older one that needs a belt and new hose. At least everyone is fine and nothing is broken.
I spose you can use it if you're careful where you point it or maybe put a towel over the exhaust or maybe a short extra hose to redirect the exhaust. How is Shark cordless doing so far?

I use it as a handheld mostly and it’s pretty good.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I can’t imagine life without my shop vac. Shudder to think.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How scary! I don't know what I would do! We have carpet & shells get tracked everywhere. I live and die by that shop vac now.
I can’t imagine life without my shop vac. Shudder to think.
Me, too!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I remember years and years ago, on another bird forum, somebody's lovebird actually got sucked up by a Shop Vac and it didn't make it :(

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I remember years and years ago, on another bird forum, somebody's lovebird actually got sucked up by a Shop Vac and it didn't make it
How horrible I can't even imagine!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Who wouldn't secure their birds first?! I know Buzzard would be safe, but I mostly secure him so he doesn't "help". :meh:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I could not do without a shop vac either. Have you tried slowly desensitizing the birds to it by slowly moving it closer while on from a far distance? If that doesn't work try drilling two tiny holes in the suppressor and putting short screws in them to hold it in place so it can't blow off.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yikes...

I like the old filter queen canisters...they filter & are somewhat like a shop vac & nothing can fly off of them!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You can set searches on Craigslist for anything you want. Filter Queen cannister vacuums are highly prized by many because of the water filtration and they actually have a good power head and work well but require more maintenance because of the water bath filter setup. I don't know if you'd be happy with wet bird crumbs in the water but it might be something to check into and see if one would work for you. I see older ones on there from time to time.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
i got the exhaust suppresor and slid it on. It has a tiny lip to secure it to the shopvac. I made sure it was very tightly on. Well, while vacuuming it blew right off and smashed into the furniture at cage level. Everyone was caged but it could have hit a cage and if anyone was clinging to the bars they would be shredded by the impact. So since the debris is too much for a non shopvac to handle, it’s back to the broom for me.
Whoa dangerous!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You can set searches on Craigslist for anything you want. Filter Queen cannister vacuums are highly prized by many because of the water filtration and they actually have a good power head and work well but require more maintenance because of the water bath filter setup. I don't know if you'd be happy with wet bird crumbs in the water but it might be something to check into and see if one would work for you. I see older ones on there from time to time.
Rainbow used the water ...had one Filter queen is a reg vac...

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Rainbow used the water ...had one Filter queen is a reg vac...
Thanks, got em mixed up but I have so many vacuums now it's hard to keep track of all the brands. I now have 3 Royals, a cordless 18volt stick vac, a Orec small shoulder vac, and a Rigid 5 gallon shop vac I've almost never used in the box in the shed. I'd like to get one of those Shark removable battery vacs like Saroj has, someday when a great sale happens. I think a bagless vac with a removable dust bin would be nice rather than filling up a bag very quickly. The bag on the Orec is tiny and fills up very quickly so wastes money having to buy new bags. The latest Royal 5700 I found free on Craigslist has a huge bag being a old school metal upright like a Kirby but much lighter and works just as well, bags are dirt cheap too.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks, got em mixed up but I have so many vacuums now it's hard to keep track of all the brands. I now have 3 Royals, a cordless 18volt stick vac, a Orec small shoulder vac, and a Rigid 5 gallon shop vac I've almost never used in the box in the shed. I'd like to get one of those Shark removable battery vacs like Saroj has, someday when a great sale happens. I think a bagless vac with a removable dust bin would be nice rather than filling up a bag very quickly. The bag on the Orec is tiny and fills up very quickly so wastes money having to buy new bags. The latest Royal 5700 I found free on Craigslist has a huge bag being a old school metal upright like a Kirby but much lighter and works just as well, bags are dirt cheap too.

I used to collect & restore vacs & you don;t want to know how many I had at one point!

I may only have a little more than a dozen now...older royals are nice esp the metal uprights. Have one of those. Had the shoulder oreck but sold it...small bag. I basically use the filter queen tank & the simplicity/riccar uprights. I also have a steamer & a few rug/floor shampoers not even in the count... Kirbys are good vacs & I had a few of the models going back to the 50's. The water one is a novelty & for long term use a pain as you have to fill the water tank but no bags! Its was good though as you could use it as a water pick up too & wash the carpet. I sold alot & others got donated...Have one small craftsman shop vac which I keep as it will pick up water. Don;t use it for vac as it just blows as much dust out the back as it picks up.

I have some in storage..hmmm try to count...probably closer to 20...:faint:

80's Filter queen

fq2inside.jpg