• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can I make a tube collar for a lovebird?

Pamela C

Meeting neighbors
I have a 3 yr old male lovebird who decided to start picking his neck feathers almost a year ago. He saw an avian vet 6 times last year and was tested for all kinds of illnesses only to come back negative. Vet believes it to be behavioral and started as an itch-scratch cycle. I have tried to get him to stop with toys, environment, diet, etc but the problem is only getting worse. He is otherwise healthy, playful and lovable. I remember reading a "how-to" on tube collars and wanted to try. I have tried purchasing the soft collars that are custom-made to no avail. I am trying to find something sturdy but softer since his neck is the affected area. I am hoping this will allow his feathers time to grow back and maybe get him to stop going back at picking. Any help is appreciated. I hate seeing him hurt himself :/ Thank you.

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
This isn't something I would try at home without a vet's supervision. Collars are incredibly stressful for birds and if not fitted properly can cause more harm than good.

What was he tested for?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Sorry everyone. don't know what page I was on but I believe I posted in the incorrect thread so I deleted it. My apologies!

Pamela C

Meeting neighbors
So glad your baby is doing better! I appreciate the advice. I have tried something out using a toilet paper roll and gauze but he just chewed it off. Also tried a little fleece collar and he hated it. I want to try something else and monitor him closely( if he keeps it on- he is fussy) . I could have the vet make something for him, but I have to leave him for the day and I really get a bad feeling about that. This is my second avian vet and they are hard to find. I trust the medical advice but the last 2x I have been there I did not like the way he was handled at all. I am trying to find another vet for him, but in the meantime trying to get a handle on this. Thank you!

Pamela C

Meeting neighbors
Try these:

BirdSupplies.com | Feather Plucking Collar | Feather Picking Supplies

I’m about to order the leather one to see if that will work (tried the felt and it was too heavy for her as her balance is bad). I’ve tried making my own with vet wrap with and without a tube and they haven’t worked for her.
Thank you! I tried a felt one first and it also was too heavy because he is so small. I just need something light that he can not chew off. I hope you find something that works.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! I tried a felt one first and it also was too heavy because he is so small. I just need something light that he can not chew off. I hope you find something that works.
You’re welcome! I have the same problem with mine - the collars I’ve tried so far are either too heavy, too easy to chew, etc. That leather one they have on the site seems to be a good compromise. Plus it looks like they’re including a plucking guide for a limited time, too!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Pamela C Yes, be super careful with leaving them unattended with the collar on. I’ve never been able to do that with Boo as she gets way too upset about the collar and can’t seem to adjust. I’m afraid she’ll fall or drown herself. The other vet I used to see said she’d heard of birds drowning because of their collars (fell into water bowl head first and couldn’t get out because of the weight and awkwardness).

Pamela C

Meeting neighbors
@Pamela C Yes, be super careful with leaving them unattended with the collar on. I’ve never been able to do that with Boo as she gets way too upset about the collar and can’t seem to adjust. I’m afraid she’ll fall or drown herself. The other vet I used to see said she’d heard of birds drowning because of their collars (fell into water bowl head first and couldn’t get out because of the weight and awkwardness).
That sounds absolutely horrible. He has a water bottle so I don't think he could drown in that. But I also don't plan on leaving him with it unattended. I really hope I don't need to use a collar. It is a last resort. He just has been getting worse though and I do not want to drug him either.