• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We need more Amazon pictures!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Let the poor thing talk..... its so much better than Secret's crow!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Well we dont really have a choice, she is never quiet, she loves to mumble and makes sounds no matter what she is doing.
I wish I could get half of it on video, but as soon as she sees the camera she clams up.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Luka is starting to make noises... parrot noises, but also this really ear pinching shreek :( i'll have to deal with that sometime, for now imjust glad i finally got a parrot :)

We took huge steps the past weeks! From sitting on natural branches to actually flying up to me from her cage :) but today i got some worries though! She flew up to me, done some usual nibling (like as if she was preening, she does this a lot lately) then suddenly she started lowering her cloaca, making chicken-like sounds, flapping her wings, grabbing my face with her paws.. I was almost thinking she was gonna lay an egg! I felt her belly but didnt notice anything hard or anything... idea's? Advise?

And pictures!

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Luka is starting to make noises... parrot noises, but also this really ear pinching shreek :( i'll have to deal with that sometime, for now imjust glad i finally got a parrot :)

We took huge steps the past weeks! From sitting on natural branches to actually flying up to me from her cage :) but today i got some worries though! She flew up to me, done some usual nibling (like as if she was preening, she does this a lot lately) then suddenly she started lowering her cloaca, making chicken-like sounds, flapping her wings, grabbing my face with her paws.. I was almost thinking she was gonna lay an egg! I felt her belly but didnt notice anything hard or anything... idea's? Advise?

And pictures!

Uhhhhhhmm.
Luca is in love with you. She wants to have eggies with you.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
OMG... HAHAHA you nearly killed me!! Honestly, we're not completely sure if Luka (with a K, not a C ;-) ) is male or female, i was told she was a she by someone who breeds Amazons, with the note that we can never be completely sure untill DNA sexing is done!

I wonder if thats a good thing, does this mean we formed a bond? I did notice im allowed to touch Luka's feet and under her wings, something i was never able to do a year ago.. still i think we have a loooong way to go :)

One thing i learned about this journey so far, parrots have this uncanny thing where they teach you to do tricks, instead of you teaching them hehehe

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I got both of mine sexed during a vet visit. I was told it takes time and if bird gets sick, time is not our friend. Not knowing sex can delay treatment.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yes parrots teach owners new tricks.

Luka's behavior still sounds hormonal to me.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Rio is SO lovely :)
They are such sweet little buggers when they are wet, i actually feel sorry for Luka after showering hehehe

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Thanks WallyLoopey and Lincee!

Rio loves his showers although he does look a little like a drowned rat when he's done :laugh: I love how he smells when he's wet too :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Luka has been eye-pinning and tailspreading for a few days now whenever shes on my shoulder or getting scritches, this whole hormonal stage is rather new to me :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Luka has been eye-pinning and tailspreading for a few days now whenever shes on my shoulder or getting scritches, this whole hormonal stage is rather new to me :)
If it's on your shoulder, I would not allow that now. Your face is easy to damage.

Hormones take over their minds and change our friends. Bites can be vicious. Secret took pieces of flush from my hand during our first one and I had to drop to the floor with her to get her off me. It's affected our relationship because I'm too scared to trust her again. I read about hormones here and guarded my relationship with MC by watching his actions.

They will come out of it and be normal again.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
But truthfully, it seems more out of excitement then agression, so im not sure if im ready yet to do a step back from where we (finally) are :) i will keep er bodylanguage close to heart though :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
But truthfully, it seems more out of excitement then agression, so im not sure if im ready yet to do a step back from where we (finally) are :) i will keep er bodylanguage close to heart though :)
You're prepared though...that's far more than I was! I had no idea there was such a thing.

Secret snapped that day into instant aggression. The bird was never a loving affectionate amazon but I just didn't expect the Jekyll/Hyde thing back then. Since I learned, I've watched our interactions more carefully in the spring of each year.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If it's on your shoulder, I would not allow that now. Your face is easy to damage.
Agree! Not even my sweetest Pi is allowed on my shoulder with a spreading tail. Not worth the risk.
so im not sure if im ready yet to do a step back from where we (finally) are
That will not be a step back. She will only learn that shoulder is not for exited modes. And that is a very good rule. :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I suppose i can see the truth in that :) the last few days have been nothing much more then some scritches and treats anyways, ive been so overly busy with work and all, i feel so bad :( Luka doesnt seem too affected though, i suppose shes used to beeing on her own for so long. Still i can feel guilty about it :)

Did i mention Luka started to take an interest in the swing?? Maybe we'll see her swining soon :) and i got one of those shower sticks, so we can enjoy some healthy bathing :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
So, my dad had prawn crackers...
This is the first time Luka decided to hop over willingly... ofcourse by the time i got back, both Luka's beak AND the couch where.. messy.. ;-)

I know they're not supposed to eat human food, but how bad are Prawn Crackers??

Attachments

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
No idea what a prawn cracker is, but I think Luka knows he is the boss :rofl: