• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have some news....

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Thank You Brigid for stepping in to help Judy and Her fids:hug8::hug8::hug8:It has been very hard for her to make the decision and actually rehome some of her fids.I am also honored to have been a chosen/trusted one and her Sterling has joined My flock:heart:I will tell You-that with Judy having been his parront-Sterling is a VERY well adjusted,adaptable,delightful member of the Funny Farm now:hug8:It took a wee bit of time to see who got along with who-etc.I'm sure the girls will fit in and settle just fine!I pray that Judy starts getting some much needed relief and feels better.I also hope that she knows I also would be more them happy to return Sterling to her if she gets better enough to want him back:hug8:My home is also still open to her if she needs to rehome any more of
her very loved fids:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is very difficult to give up your birds for any reason. However to give them up to another member of AA is the best way to go. I hope it all goes well and Judy you get well too!

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Thank you for taking these girls in. I know how hard it is for Judy knowing their story. But I have confidence things will work out. I have met the girls and they are funny and sweet and you won't be able to stop yourself from falling in love with them They are 2 beautiful girls.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Brigid these girls are landing in a wonderful home and I'm sure it's a comfort to Judy to know they will be well loved and taken care of :hug8::hug8::hug8:

caklock

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
It is wonderful and amazing that this forum and Facebook has fostered such a strong relationship among like-minded people. It is a credit to everyone who volunteers their time and efforts to keep this forum active and running.

I'm sure there will be an adjustment period with the new arrivals- trust yourself, adapt, and things will settle in. I always use the following metric to track progress:

1. 3 days - to destress from the move and start exhibiting normal behaviors again
2. 3 weeks - to really understand the dynamics among a new group of individuals.
3. 3 months - to establish a 'new normal'

Wishing everyone the very best!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhhh! Bridget you are a true blessing for taking in Judy's zons! I will pray for both you and Judy :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@Brigidt36 and @ncGreyBirdLady how wonderful of you to take in these birds. It must be a huge relief to Judy knowing they will be loved and cared for. And Judy big hugs to you. I hope you feel better.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
From the beginning I have said that the people on Avian Avenue are the best. There might be squabbles from time to time (what family doesn't?) but what it always comes down to is that we love our birds, we love our neighbor's, and when stuff hits the fan, we all do everything we can; from well wishes, to shoulder's to cry on, to prayers and positive energy, to running auctions, donating time, running transport trains, volunteering to help those birds in need, and to ALWAYS supporting our AA neighbor's anyway we can. This is the one time I can actually do something for someone other than just pray or donating some $ and I am happy to help. Zon's have always been my favorite species of birds since I met my first one when I was around 6 years old (geesh, 50 years ago!AACCKKK). Everyone thought I was crazy to just leap in and bring one home 20 years ago, I was warned against them since I had no actual 'hands on' experience' with a zon. I'm so glad I went with my gut and didn't listen to the naysayers. Max and I have had our ups and downs, and yes, there were times I was quite afraid of him and the damage he had done and could do to me. We worked past it and I think out relationship is 95 percent good. He's allowed to get moody and so am I. I joked that I would love to have a household of Zon's and now it looks like I will.

I am excited, I am nervous, I am blessed, and I am also thankful that Judy, who only knows me through AA and FB, would trust me enough with these two beautiful beings. That is faith. Thank you Judy, I promise to do everything I can to not disappoint you or to let these birds down. Whatever issues arise, we will figure it out and I know, with all you good people here, I will have the support to get me through anything. So thank you all in advance.

Bonnie, I feel the same way you do. I know that Sterling will thrive under your care. You are such a good bird mommy and such a wonderful person. Judy couldn't have chosen better for Sterling. Thank you for giving him a home. I know it is a big relief for Judy to know how much he is loved.

To those who asked, the girls are being flown in on Delta on the 3rd of August. Thanks for offering a transport train, but Judy has taken care of all the transport details.

For those of you with a Kings 306 Napolean Cage, please share the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm worried I may have gone too big or not big enough. I hate buying something without seeing it and touching it. I am worried it will be to heavy to move in and outside and I love to move the birds outside in their cages during good weather; for bathing and cage cleaning and some wonderful outside entertainment.

Thank you all for all your kind words and support. It means alot.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
From the beginning I have said that the people on Avian Avenue are the best. There might be squabbles from time to time (what family doesn't?) but what it always comes down to is that we love our birds, we love our neighbor's, and when stuff hits the fan, we all do everything we can; from well wishes, to shoulder's to cry on, to prayers and positive energy, to running auctions, donating time, running transport trains, volunteering to help those birds in need, and to ALWAYS supporting our AA neighbor's anyway we can. This is the one time I can actually do something for someone other than just pray or donating some $ and I am happy to help. Zon's have always been my favorite species of birds since I met my first one when I was around 6 years old (geesh, 50 years ago!AACCKKK). Everyone thought I was crazy to just leap in and bring one home 20 years ago, I was warned against them since I had no actual 'hands on' experience' with a zon. I'm so glad I went with my gut and didn't listen to the naysayers. Max and I have had our ups and downs, and yes, there were times I was quite afraid of him and the damage he had done and could do to me. We worked past it and I think out relationship is 95 percent good. He's allowed to get moody and so am I. I joked that I would love to have a household of Zon's and now it looks like I will.

I am excited, I am nervous, I am blessed, and I am also thankful that Judy, who only knows me through AA and FB, would trust me enough with these two beautiful beings. That is faith. Thank you Judy, I promise to do everything I can to not disappoint you or to let these birds down. Whatever issues arise, we will figure it out and I know, with all you good people here, I will have the support to get me through anything. So thank you all in advance.

Bonnie, I feel the same way you do. I know that Sterling will thrive under your care. You are such a good bird mommy and such a wonderful person. Judy couldn't have chosen better for Sterling. Thank you for giving him a home. I know it is a big relief for Judy to know how much he is loved.

To those who asked, the girls are being flown in on Delta on the 3rd of August. Thanks for offering a transport train, but Judy has taken care of all the transport details.

For those of you with a Kings 306 Napolean Cage, please share the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm worried I may have gone too big or not big enough. I hate buying something without seeing it and touching it. I am worried it will be to heavy to move in and outside and I love to move the birds outside in their cages during good weather; for bathing and cage cleaning and some wonderful outside entertainment.

Thank you all for all your kind words and support. It means alot.
Beautiful post!! :heart: Its truly an amazing thing you're doing!! Sorry can't help you with cage info about the King cage. I totally agree with about buy cages when you can't see them. So frustrating!! Hopefully someone here can fill you in on it. Best of luck with all of it :hug2:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Aubrey, I saw that too, after the delivery company called to ask if I had help to get it off the truck. I'm not sure how much Max's cage weighs, and it's a big cage, but I am able to wheel it outside, and if I have to, I can get it back in the house without help (though I have thrown my back out doing that).

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have the 406 for my two. it's about 7 inches wider and an inch deeper. I love it and they use all of the space. I don't have any issues rolling it out my door by myself to wash it

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My flock is expanding with the future addition of two beautiful BFA's who will be arriving in Kentucky on August 3rd. Some of you may know these girls, GreyClouds birds, Mia and Izzy. As some of you may know, Judy is going through some very tough medical issues at this time and it has been getting more and more difficult for her to care for her birds. I think she made this announcement herself, awhile back and I know lots of members are praying for her. Several years ago Judy asked me if I would be willing to adopt her girls if something serious happened to her or if she died. Being Judy, she wanted to make sure her beloved birds would go to good homes and be well taken care of, not sold or flipped, or neglected. This is a big responsibility to take on so I had to talk with Dear Hubby. He said it was up to me since the birds were my thing and really didnt affect his life much. So that was a yes. I, of course, never thought it would happen and totally forgot about it after awhile until a few weeks ago when Judy asked me if I was still willing to take her girls. She explained her medical issues and how she wasn't seeming to be getting better or even some relief. I know this decision to rehome these two girls has been a tough on. Judy and I have never met in person, only on AA and FB and for her to just trust me to take care of her birds was a surprise and an honor. She knows I'm an Amazon lover and she's read my post, watched my video's and seen pics of my flock. She must believe I am up for this and she knows I will love these girls whole heartedly.

I am so happy that I can help Judy out and can take some of this stress off of her. I'm honored that she trusts me to do right by these girls, that I will love these girls and do everything I can for them, to make their new home the best that it can be. It WILL be a big change for the girls. The routines will be different, the birds they will be living with will be different, their 'mom' will be different. Lots of changes for them.

I have ordered a King's Cage 306 Napolean Cage for them. They share a cage and this should be big enough for both girls to live comfortably with room to play and room for toys. It's a big cage, but not what they are used to. The cage should arrive Monday and I am super excited to get it all set up with perches and toys. I really hope the girls like it.

I am also pretty nervous about all this too. How will my YNA Max react to having two other Amazon's in the house? How will Larry (BCC), Kiwi (Sennie) and Little Boy Blue (parakeet) react? W
How with the dynamics change? Will they be good changes or bad? So many thoughts in my head.

So this is where I need you all. I need your support (as does Judy, she didn't make this decision lightly and it's breaking her heart), I need your experience, especially those of you who have more than one Zon. I will need your advice and your suggestions. What I should watch out for. How I should introduce them, etc. This means I will have 6 parrots!!!! 5 cages to clean. 6 birds to cook for, to take for nail trimming, vet appointments, etc. Then add in my dog and kitten. This will be my part of Heaven, it may end up being my husbands idea of Hell.

I'll post pics as soon as Mia and Izzy arrive. I'll probably post pics of their new cage set up when i get it done. Well hopefully I will, I don't remember how to post pics on here, it's been so long. And I no longer have a camera, only my iphone.

Don't be shy on suggestions or advice. And please, keep Judy in your prayers and thoughts. I think of myself as a good parront, but Judy is an AWESOME parront and I'm afraid I won't live up to her standards and I don't want to let the girls down.

Thanks for reading.

You are the perfect home that Judy could ever choose for Izzy and Mia! Perfect! I am happy that Mia and Izzy will be with you. I'd love to send some Amazon house warming gifts! Judy, what toys do they like?

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks Wasabsauris. The girls are being flown in on Delta on August 3rd. I can't wait to meet them. Thanks so much for your offer. Their cage comes in tomorrow and I am excited about getting it all set up. I have ordered a couple toys and I've been digging through my 'surplus box' to scrounge up some extra perches. I am now looking for a Boing, I thought I had one, but for the life of me I can't find it. I will keep looking. In the meantime, neighbors, if any of your fids have what you consider to be the PERFECT Boing, Amazon size, please let me know what kind and where you got it. I also need to get up into the attic for the extra play stand I am sure I stored up there, for the girls to use. When it comes to bird stuff, I am a bit of a hoarder, so I doubt I got rid of it....unless I gave it away to this girl who got a new bird a few years ago. Sorta, kinda remember giving her a cage, but I doubt I gave her the stand. I dread going up into the attic with these 90 plus degree temps. I just might wait until fall to look for it. Max and the girls won't be out together for awhile, until the girls are settled in and I see how they interact with cages between them, so I can always let them use Max's stand and swap them out during the day.

Everyone, your support of Judy and your encouragement to me is very much appreciated by me. We never know what life is going to throw at us, and all of us are constantly changing and adjusting to changing circumstances. Judy has always been proactive and I think this has helped her. Please keep praying for her and sending her positive energy. I truly believe that the power of prayer, and the outpouring of positive energy, works.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I have the 406 for my two. it's about 7 inches wider and an inch deeper. I love it and they use all of the space. I don't have any issues rolling it out my door by myself to wash it

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks for the info Chris, that makes me feel better. I have been literally praying to St. Anthony and St. Francis of Assisi that this cage will work out for the girls. I want them to have as much room as they can have while I am at work or when I can't let them out of the cage for some reason, yet I really need this cage to work for my routine as well.