• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gabby update / He's getting a new cage

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not allowed. With my family moving, we need to stay decluttered. Im not even allowed to get 1 split tank so I can get rid of 2 tanks. (I hope you understand that) But don't worry as soon as Im in the newhouse Gabby is moving up!
What would it take after moving for you to fit the flight cage into your space?

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
It's great that they inspire us to clear out the unneeded things! LOL. I need to go through my clothes and do some purging, too!

I believe potato bird wants to keep your desk as the ultimate play-stand! :D I've long wanted to get something more for mine, too, but they won't stay on them (I have a small tabletop stand, and I've tried. I usually end up with a bird on my head/face!)

Peanut pictures are so mushy-love! :)

I heartily approve! :thumbsup:
Happy ignored her stand too. If she's out she is on my body ...attacking the tv remote or chewing a lamp shade

IzzyBizzy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Liz
What would it take after moving for you to fit the flight cage into your space?
All I'd have to do is get the split tank for my bettas, then Gabby can have a larger cage. It's just waiting, I want to do the tank and cage now. No far I have to wait

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All I'd have to do is get the split tank for my bettas, then Gabby can have a larger cage. It's just waiting, I want to do the tank and cage now. No far I have to wait
Oh, well that's good! I thought maybe you'd have to get really creative with organizing the space, but if it just comes down to getting the split tank for the fishies after moving, you can do the flight cage without a lot of grief! :dance55: I can tell you from experience that Gabby will definitely be happy to have one, even if he has to adjust a bit! And a lot of them have a shelf under the cage, which really helps with somewhere to put their things. (I know it's frustrating when you're ready to go but have to cool your heels and wait!)

Please keep us updated! How long do you have left before you're moved into the new place?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy ignored her stand too. If she's out she is on my body ...attacking the tv remote or chewing a lamp shade
Well pestering a mama-person is always better than playing with inanimate things! Twinkie and Turnip are definitely the worst offenders of my group. :)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Well pestering a mama-person is always better than playing with inanimate things! Twinkie and Turnip are definitely the worst offenders of my group. :)
Yep! Twink and turnip just know mama is a cuddle champion!

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
Oh, well that's good! I thought maybe you'd have to get really creative with organizing the space, but if it just comes down to getting the split tank for the fishies after moving, you can do the flight cage without a lot of grief! :dance55: I can tell you from experience that Gabby will definitely be happy to have one, even if he has to adjust a bit! And a lot of them have a shelf under the cage, which really helps with somewhere to put their things. (I know it's frustrating when you're ready to go but have to cool your heels and wait!)

Please keep us updated! How long do you have left before you're moved into the new place?
Kiwi's cage has a shelf underneath, so all the food goes there.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I have a bin I put all the food treats and toy supplies in. Then I have the towels folded up and the roll of bird paper right there when I change her cage. I really like the space under the flight cage. Gracie is a fan of the tablet and cell phone. She thinks she is all tech savvy and tries to text and play games. She really likes the pet collective videos though lol.

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have a bin I put all the food treats and toy supplies in. Then I have the towels folded up and the roll of bird paper right there when I change her cage. I really like the space under the flight cage. Gracie is a fan of the table and cell phone. She thinks she is all tech savvy and tries to text and play games. She really likes the pet collective videos though lol.
Mine don't have space underneath, so I keep all of their toys and spare water bowls, etc., in a couple of little plastic drawer units. Covers go in the drawer in the coffee table. Some of their food goes on top of the fridge or toy drawers, but the pellet mix and dry mix I keep in the freezer. It works pretty well. All up, not too much clutter. The cages take up enough room in my small house as it is. You do what you gotta do to make it all work.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kiwi's cage has a shelf underneath, so all the food goes there.
You could still use the shelf, maybe just for something else. :) Maybe a bin with extra toys and perches, etc.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does. It hold some of my Betta fish items too
I know you had said you had some stuff already on that one - I was referring to the one you'll get for Gabby. :)

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
I know you had said you had some stuff already on that one - I was referring to the one you'll get for Gabby. :)
Kiwi and Gabby eat the same food. But i found Gabbys cage. I'll post the picture when I get home, its 18 deep 36 long 18 high

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I dont like stacking cages personally. It puts the lower one in shadow and ive heard over long periods it could cause the bottom bird to be depressed.
Not to be a debbie downer but it does make sense! Kind of like the cages with pans on top for the playgym. Too dark!

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
I dont like stacking cages personally. It puts the lower one in shadow and ive heard over long periods it could cause the bottom bird to be depressed.
Not to be a debbie downer but it does make sense! Kind of like the cages with pans on top for the playgym. Too dark!
OH NO NO NO! My dad is very creative, he'd make it so it would be a 36 tall 36 long and 18 deep. So the bottom of the 2nd cage wouldn't be in the picture

alicat

Real Name
Ali
OH NO NO NO! My dad is very creative, he'd make it so it would be a 36 tall 36 long and 18 deep. So the bottom of the 2nd cage wouldn't be in the picture
Oh that would probably work then! Creativity is key :p

They sell double stacked ones and it really is sad how dark the bottom cage gets, they should really reconsider the design!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
As far as play tops most have a removable tray and I bet you can add a clear piece of plexi glass cut to the right size to replace the tray and have all the light they need inside. Some of the member cages here already have that whether they did it themselves or the cage came that way. You can buy it pretty cheap at Home Depot or other hardware stores and I bet if you know the dimensions you need they'd cut it for you if you can't do it yourself.
I have a piece I bought and cut I used for my window air conditioner so I didn't have to cover the open window with plywood. I bought a thicker piece and cut it myself with a circular saw but they probably would have cut it for me if I'd known what I needed. They did cut a piece of scrap thin wood paneling I bought to cover a hole I made in a hidden spot behind my dishwasher when the pipe inside blew out. I think even with them cutting it the piece was cheap and they didn't charge extra to cut it.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just make sure Gabby's toes can't get caught in openings, cut on edges, and that the in coated metal isn't exposed. Will that really be better than just getting the flight cage that even has latches to keep crafty birds in? I don't understand. :confused: