• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about adopting an African Gray.

Mellie

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa Melton
Hi
I have been lurking on the form for a few months but this is my first post. :)

I have the opportunity to adopted an African Gray from a friend and had a question.
He will be coming from a home where she (his owner) is always home. I work all day so he will be by him self Monday - Friday for about 8 hours.

I have been reading on how sensitive they can be and i know that the transition into a new home is a stress enough.

I just want to make sure I will be a good fit for him.. :)

Thank you

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome to the forum ...How old is the Grey ...has she had it its whole life ....have you spent any time with it ...why is she having to rehome it ...what type of cage does it live in ...how much out of the cage time does it get now ...what kind of toys does it like ...normally any change is going to be hard on both you and the bird ...answer these questions for me and Ill have a better idea how to help :)

Mellie

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa Melton
Hi
The Gray is 6 years old. She has had it his hole life. I have not been around him at all. We live far away from each other. He spends most of his time out of the cage and at my house will be in his cage only when I am not home.
Her mom is sick and needs to do a lot of traveling back and fourth. She will not be able to care for him any more. :(
I not sure on the toys never really paid attention.
when he is at my house he will have 3 cages and a 2 stands and a lot of toys.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate any help.
I really want to take him and am super excited about it but don't want him (the bird) to not be happy and hurt himself.

Mel..

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I just wanted to say welcome! And that it's nice that you're thinking about helping your friend out.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Your biggest problem will be to keep him busy while you are at work ...you are going to want lots of foraging toys things he can figure out ...things he can shred ...things to keep him busy while you are away ...find out what he likes over there and start wit that ...is there any way you can visit with him a few time before you take him home with you so he gets to know you and you get to know a lil about him ...take a look at this webinar Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media number 8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots its free and will help you with any problems that may happen along the way ...back to foraging toys I would have 2-3 of them in his cage along with stuff to shred some soft wood toys maybe...make sure you leave a radio on when you leave since he is use to sound being around him all day ...make sure you get a list of all the foods your friend is feeding ..are you bringing all his stuff from her house with you ...that would be best if you could less stress on him ...hope this helps ...just some thoughts :)

Mellie

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa Melton
Thank you for the welcome... :)

Mellie

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa Melton
Thank you.. Yes I am planing a few trips out there before he comes home. I am just really worried about the transition to a cage for 8 hours. that is the reason why I have not adopted before.

I will take the first week he is with me off. :)
Thank you for advise on the foraging toys. I will make sure he has a big verity of them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your going to turn his life upside down. Adding being restricted to a cage and being alone is going to come back to haunt you not far down the road.

If you're truly committed to "partnering" with this bird you will need to seriously think about sacrificing a portion of your personal space and providing/adapting it for him. That means a bird proof room or a indoor aviary that is the size of a room.

You've got live with this bird for the next 40+ years. You've got to think long term. It needs as much space as you do. It will wither in a cage.

This bird is on the cusp of adulthood and hormones are going to start becoming a factor. The bird is going to change and this upheaval is not going to help.

Given all that. A solitary parrot is a lonely parrot.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
To never have something. It is not missed. To have something (especially something we like) and have it taken away has real lasting effects.

Mellie

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa Melton
aww.. That is what I was thinking... I am not sure I have a room I can make into an aviary. So maybe a bird just is not a good pet for me.. :(
I would love to have one. I am so interested in free flying. I have gone out and seen it and it is amazing... but I also don't want to be selfish.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am not sure I have a room I can make into an aviary.
Yes you do if you really want there to be. If not immediately then that is what you should work towards in a timely fashion.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Even though it will be a HUGE change for him what are his options ...it sounds like even if he stays where he is his life will change anyway (more cage time ) since his care giver will be busy with her family ....there are tons of people that work full time and have single parrots and do very well ....Im not saying its going to be easy but if you really want to give your life to a life companion like a Grey it is doable without scaring them for life ....as long as your cage is big enough and you give him tons to do and when your home he gets out time and attention ...having him can be a wonderful thing for both of you ...but you have to be willing to put in the work and yes he will be bad some times that is why I gave you the webinar to watch ...and there are more webinars on her site for just about any problem ...:)

He will miss being out all the time but to the point of causing terrible issues down the line I would have to say not if you address them before hand ..not if you are prepared for them ...I work ..my birds are in their cages while Im at work and sometimes for the full day ...and I had Tyrion my Grey 1 1/2 yrs alone before I got my 2nd bird ..and he stayed alone in his cage while I worked and went to appts ..had surgery ...and he is still a very happy go lucky bird ...Now I know he was raised that way but I still have to believe if it was going to damage him some how it would have shown itself ....if you really want to be the care giver for this bird and live your life with him please do some more research before making your decision and really think hard before just walking away :)

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
My bird first grey was my first ever bird and was a rehome. Her first owners got a divorce and she went from always having someone in the house to being alone atleast 16 hours a day. When I got her I worked too but not 16 hrs straight. She only had one toy with her first owner and was on a seeded diet. She also was rarely let out of the cage and cage agressive. I have had her since 2011 and she is happy and well adjusted. I added a second grey last year. She gets time out of her cage and in her cage every day and I let her wings grow back and now have her flying to me on command. She does not have her own room and neither does my other grey. They have multiple perches and are allowed out anytime I am home and paying attention. I try to give them atleast an hour a day of out of their cages and being handled. Some days they get several hours out and about and sometimes just a little. When I am not home I leave the radio on for them. The hardest part for me was getting my first grey off of a seeded diet. My grey loves her cage. Even when she can be out and hanging around she prefers to just get on top of the cage. She hates her atoms and boing I have in the house and will perch on a basket or stand sometimes but the majority of the time she just wants to be on top of her cage. If you are committed and do your research you can do it. I also provide lots of shredible and foraging toys. She didn't know how to play when I got her but she will forage and shred so that's what we stick too. I was discouraged by several people who were bird owners. They all said a grey shouldn't be my first bird... Well I'm glad she was and some of those same bird people are shocked by how far along she has come. Just slowly build their trust and do your research and you should be fine. Many grey owners work and have happy adjusted birds.

Mellie

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa Melton
Amillio... thank you so much.. I was thinking that there had to be other parrot owners that worked and did not have full room aviary. Don't get me wrong that would be awesome and if I could would make that happen. :) I think I need to go out and visit the bird a few times and talk to his mom and see how we can adj him as easy as possible. I was thinking she could start by putting him in his cage during the day for sort periods of time. I will keep you guys updated.. :)

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Please keep us updated. And if you need any help don't hesitate to ask. Fair warning with some birds it takes awhile to earn their trust or you could get lucky and he could just like you from the get go.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
It sounds to me like you would be great for this bird. I think your thinking in advance how to transition him really shows your true commitment to his happiness. Lots and lots of toys and fresh foods and a pretty large cage and I think you will do great once he settles in on your schedule. It will take time but you sound prepared for it.

Reactions: Tim

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Animals are more adaptable than people give them credit for. It will be tough for him at first but he will adjust, most people work a day job with healthy and happy parrots. As long as you keep him comfortable while he is alone (I leave the radio on for mine) and let him out to interact with the family when you are there he will get used to it. It might take longer than say a dog but be patient. So many birds have been successful rehomes with much worse histories than being taken care of well lol. Give him lots to preoccupy himself while you are away, and let him integrate into your life on his terms :) good luck and be sure to post pics!

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I was thinking that there had to be other parrot owners that worked and did not have full room aviary.
Of course there is. That doesn't mean that every parrot will thrive in the same situation, especially one who is being uprooted from everything it's ever known.

Should this bird not adjust to suddenly being caged and left alone 18+ hours a day, what is the solution? Are you willing and able to sacrifice your space and time for this parrot's happiness? Are you prepared to deal with the consequences of a socially deprived, bored parrot? If yes, can you do it for the next 40+ years?

There is no backing out. No giving up. Through the ups and downs, you have to persevere.

Forty years.

Make sure it's what you really want. Make sure you're ready. :)