• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please share your true cockatoo / hormonal / bite stories.... A Helping Wing Parrot Rescue

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Hi all,

Posting as a bit of a favor and helping with the education for cockatoo adopters. I've had adopters who say they have researched and read tons and tons, but never heard anything about cockatoos being hormonal or how vicious their bites can be, or that they may bond to one person and become aggressively protective.

We all know that not every large too is this way, but we are open and honest about the birds we adopt and place in homes. The cockatoos one adopter is interested in has shown some significant hormonal behavior, and we just want to share stories from others that its not 'rare' or anything.

One adopter wants an umbrella or moluccan, she works 7 hours a day. Can others share their experience with having a single large bird that is home alone for 7plus hours a day?

Again, we are not trying to talk people out of adoption of a large too, but to share reality so people truly understand what they are taking home. As a shelter, we would think it would be highly unethical to not share the honesty of what can happen.

Thanks to everyone for sharing stories and photos!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
One adopter wants an umbrella or moluccan, she works 7 hours a day. Can others share their experience with having a single large bird that is home alone for 7plus hours a day?
I don't have time to respond in any depth right now. I'll be back.

The only way this will work is if she dedicates real space to this bird that does not include any wake time inside a cage. She will need to build this bird an "environment" for a chance at thriving.

A solitary parrot is a lonely parrot.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't have time to respond in any depth right now. I'll be back.

The only way this will work is if she dedicates real space to this bird that does not include any wake time inside a cage. She will need to build this bird an "environment" for a chance at thriving.

A solitary parrot is a lonely parrot.

I am more trying to help educate her about the reality that cockatoos are not just white fluffy puppies that love to snuggle and are always the sweetest things in the world. Specific stories about incidents, hormonal times when behavior makes your sweet white too into a serial killer with scissors on their face, how significant their bites are with the 3 part mandible, etc.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Even a little too can do some real damage.

Perhaps it can be framed as if one is caring for a small child. They have the IQ of a 3-4 year old human. No one would lock a preschooler in a cage for 7 hrs a day and expect them to be emotionally and mentally ok.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Ok Jen - there are some threads on this forum that already refer to this so I'm guessing that isn't what you are looking for. We could also direct you to the web site for Toos, but you don't want that either. The stories are horrible but yet we (us Too lovers) still are drawn to the Too. You can't explain it and I can't explain it. Over the last two years I have had several bites by a Too. But I never took a picture. My worst bites have been from an Amazon. I don't recall taking pictures of those either. So I can't help you there. When people ask me about parrots and which ones to get, I do not mention getting an Amazon and if they want one I tell them that I am not the person they need to talk to. If they ask about a Too, well, the Pros out weight the Cons for me.

Why does she want the Umbrella or the Moluccan? Is it the noise that she likes? She won't be there for a lot of it, and most likely on the days that she is home sick in bed she won't want to be because the bird is likely to want to play with her. And when she doesn't play, the Too will let her know that she isn't happy. Does she like the look? There are smaller white and pink Toos that she could get. OR is she wanting to be a "hero" and adopt from the shelter and prove that she can do it and make it work? And you know as well as we all do that sometimes it really DOES work out and the adoption IS what was best for everyone.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Ok Jen - there are some threads on this forum that already refer to this so I'm guessing that isn't what you are looking for. We could also direct you to the web site for Toos, but you don't want that either. The stories are horrible but yet we (us Too lovers) still are drawn to the Too..
I think ALL of us are 'Too (i still feel a pull to write cockie) LOVERS. We love them. We just know that we are NOT the best home for them. I work full time outside the home. Counts me out.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton has specific hormonal times, which I can tell are oncoming and present by his body language. He also becomes much more aggressive in wanting to search out possible nesting areas...like on the bed, underneath the cushions of chairs, etc. When you try to distract him from this behavior, he becomes defensive, postures, and will begin to hiss and huff.
During his hormonal times, and since he's picked me as his "mate", he will get protective of me if someone comes into the room. He's actually gotten in between my wife and myself....putting his head on me and rubbing it on me, all the while looking daggers at my wife...or anybody else who comes into the room. My wife knows to back off when she sees this behavior, which is wise, indeed.

Milton has bitten me many times. The most frightening time-for me at least- is when he got me in the nose last year. Milty's previous owner would take pens, remove the ink, screw to pieces back together, and let Milton "play" with it. Anyway, I was sitting in his room, writing something or other, when Milty hopped over. I realized that he was coming over, so I told him to hold on for a minute. I stopped writing, and as I was trying to put the pen away, Milt jumped at the pen, missing it, but biting me square on the nose! Got me under one nostril with the top point of his beak, and inside the other with the bottom mandible-the one with the two points.
They glued the outside cut (underneath the nostril) and put a stitch in each of the puncture wounds inside the nose.
This bite was not in any way Milton's fault. Bites happen.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two cockatoos, work 8-9 hour days and I have no major problems to report.
I've had my large female sulfur crest for more than 15 of her 16 years. I bought her a couple months after she weaned. She's a joker and has a sadistic sense of humor, but she's not terribly aggressive. Even when she bites, she still a wuss. Many cockatoos seem to like to go for faces and Ariel is no exception. She's only gotten me on the nose once and as is typical of her bites, it wasn't worth getting very upset over. I'm not sure if even bled a whole drop of blood, scabbed over quick and a few months later there isn't even a scar. She's generally pretty quiet. So much so, I think I could actually have her in an apartment. She's super loud when she screams, but she rarely screams. She's a great bird to just sit down with after a hard day and let her lower my blood pressure with some good cockatoo snuggles. She can put on an aggressive show for everyone but me, I doubt she's bluffing, but I also think if someone were to call her bluff in an extreme non-drama sort of way, she'd back down pretty quick. The only real problem I had with her was some feather picking and extreme misery and itching from allergies when she was much younger. Since then, she seems to have sort of grown out of it, rarely plucks and she's now a gorgeous bird.

My goffin's is a rehome and sex unknown although thought to be female(I have serious doubts). She's an enigma and kind of weird for a cockatoo. She has some touch me not tendencies although she can be cuddly too. She can also be aggressive. Mostly, she's like having a slightly spoiled brat toddler around the house. I'm really not sure if its hormones or if she just gets into a snit every once in a while, but she has gone through phases of going for my face and meaning it. I'm not sure she's ever really drawn blood though. She also tends to be a wuss when it comes right down to it. But, she is flighted and a shoulder percher, so I take her attempts at face biting seriously. She hasn't done it for quite a while. She went through about 3 months a couple years ago that were challenging, but hasn't done it since. She's supposedly about 11 years old and I got her maybe 5 years ago??? I can't remember exactly when I got her. She does pluck, but she did that before I got her, so my working doesn't have anything to do with it. She has normal cockatoo screaming tendencies, so she would not work for an apartment. I don't get bit badly by her or often mostly because I watch her body language and sometimes I just know that she's waiting to grab me if I make flesh available to her. In contrast, I can get my sulfur crest all wound up, bouncing around in display mode and even if she bites me a little, its more rough housing and no blood drawn or real pain.

I know its disappointing. I don't have horror stories bad cockatoos that we all like to talk about. It helps I have females. Or at least my best cockatoo is for sure a female. I also do think it helps being a single person with a cockatoo or having a very supportive family. One that can take the screaming and not get over protective if someone gets bit. You get a large parrot knowing that there is a real chance to someday need stitches. There shouldn't be any magical thinking or fantasy land where that isn't a possibility even with the best of birds. I think it also needs to be driven home that cockatoos are generally not good with all family members. Just because one person loves the bird, doesn't mean it won't go out of its way to chase and bite everyone else in the family if given a fraction of a chance. I don't have problems with my cockatoos, but I treat them like birds. Not babies. If there is a less than ideally controlled situation going on with other people, then the cockatoos are caged. I don't feel guilty about caging them and generally they handle the ups and downs of life with humans just fine. What they don't handle well is being given the freedom to chase dogs, cats and people around the house at will. I expect cockatoos to act like cockatoos and that means sometimes bites and not being predictable around other people. Then I go out of my way to prevent situations that are likely to lead to trouble. Consequently, I don't have problem cockatoos. My worst bites have been from mature male amazons. And I love amazons as much as cockatoos.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Crisco was/is a Sulfer Crested Too a bird I sat for about 5 yrs in total ..I loved him he was/is a great bird ...I have many stories of him being his Too self ..one that comes to mind that I will never forget is the time I was home on the weekend in the summer....

It was a beautiful summer day and Crisco was out trucking in the living room playing with his toys ...on the seat in the hallway was my sons backpack with his artwork handing out of the top ...I was about to move the backpack before Crisco saw it and the phone rings ...so I get caught up in my phone call and look over and see Crisco has my sons backpack on the floor and its contents all over and was ready to rip the artwork ...I run from the kitchen to the living room chasing Crisco with artwork in beak around living room with him laughing and hooting all the while ...I get my sons artwork from the bird and clean up the backpack then put it all in my sons room while Crisco follows ....I go to sit down and resume my conversation ...Crisco calmly climbs up a chair and across the table on to my arm and bites the back of my upper arm so hard it leaves a beak mark and a huge bruise ...he calmly climbs down and waddles into the living room and goes back to playing with his toys :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is Tika's original story and how I ended up with him.

I got Tika from a single mom with 3 little boys. Her sister was a backyard breeder and that is where she got him as a force weaned, unfledged baby. Her lack of skill hand feeding resulted in a scissor beak. Severely clipped from baby forward. Hasn't flown on purpose in his life (terrified).

She was still married at the time. Things were pretty smooth during the juvenile years. She doted and cuddled that bird and formed a strong bond.

At around age 6-7 the hormones kicked in. This is a big powerful smart specimen of its species. It decided everyone else in the family was a threat, competition and had to go. Especially the husband because he was the real threat coming between him and his mate. Tika was dangerous.

She loved him and wasn't going to give him up but in order for everyone's safety he needed to be locked up when others were around (which was all the time).

He started to scream. Like a jet engin. Frustration. Stress. Started causing tension between everyone. So much so that within a year they had divorced. This bird had literally broken up a family.

2years pass. This woman had been trying to move on with her life and find a new husband or at least trying to date again. Tika was not having any of that. She tried to bring some of them home and meet him. I was told that (all this much later) he attacked them and physically drove one of them out of the house bleeding.

That was the last straw. She didn't love him that much anymore because he had caused a lot of pain. She was overwhelmed. This bird was now beyond her capabilities. He was relegated to a dark corner of the basement. She now had to work multiple jobs to make ends meet. There was no time for this bird anymore.

Tika's care and well being was left to 3 small boys who liked to play hockey in the basement and shoot pucks at the cage whenever he screamed. Guess how often that happened?

She was given my name and I was called. Another story.