• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

B&G Macaw stays on top of cage and lunges every time I try to interact with him

AHSAN

Meeting neighbors
My Macaw likes my brother more then me or my mom. Every time my brother goes to him and plays with him or talks to him, he does the same back. When I do the same, he kind of backs away slowy and won't talk back. I stopped toweling him a long time ago. I give him treats and fruits throughiut the day. I guess I can say it kind of makes me sad that my parrot doesn't really want to interact with me.

He does let me touch him while giving him a shower. I use a walnut to lure him on to a perch on a camera tripod, and then place him in the shower. After I turned the water off he started to become uneasy from being on the tripod (moving from one end to the other quickly). I just put him back on his cage then.

AHSAN

Meeting neighbors
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw Why is if that my Macaw doesn't scream any more. He used to scream a sunset only, but now it's like one or two screams and that's about it. My household is fairly quite is that why?

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw Why is if that my Macaw doesn't scream any more. He used to scream a sunset only, but now it's like one or two screams and that's about it. My household is fairly quite is that why?
They often match their environment/your energy level so if they're feeling content and the area and people are quiet, they often are too. My Mac stopped flock calling and attention screaming a few days after I adopted her so it's not too alarming if your fid quiets down after settling a little bit.
Take note of it as well as other behavior changes though because seeing an AV for new baby checkup as well as if you're concerned is always best.

Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Sarah13 @Hankmacaw So I sold his cage, and am in the process of getting him a java tree this week. Also, one of his toes turned dark why is that?
I'm not very knowledgeable on parrot health, but sounds like it might be constricted toe syndrome. Best see a vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, a toe turning black could be that it is turning necrotic (rotten) for some reason. He needs to see a vet before it gets more serious and he loses the toe.

You should take him to a vet anyway, just to get baseline readings on him and to develop a relationship with a vet for if you ever have an emergency. I'm sure some of our Ontario members can recommend a GOOD avian vet so you won't have to go through the try and reject dance.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I hope your vet visit goes well. It does seem like a lot to handle. My first macaw was a very teed off B&G who was rescued after being abandoned in a large home, then netted by animal control, next the dog pound for 6 months and then finally into Bird Lovers Only Rescue where he promptly fell in love with Irena Schulz and her family. He also felt right at home with the 2 B&G's Irena had inherited from an older couple upon their passing. I can only imagine that he felt like he landed in heaven, great food, his own stand, caring people who took his disability into account and made him comfortable (old break in leg that healed sideways) and his favorite cashews as treats and scrambled eggs every morning. Lots of attention, lots of professional training and no crazies like the ones he lived with who left him there when they had to vacate fast (I later learned the common train of thought was that he was in a drug house) and yes there's a point that relates to you and your B&G:

I left with "Pebbles" in his carrier and Irena broke down and sobbed (I don't know how anyone would ever find it easy to let go) her husband who loved him more than his wife loved him chose not to be there. "He couldn't bare to see Pebbles leave" and was long gone before I arrived. We also had a very long drive, 10 + hours then another hour on the boat to get home and by that time it was dark and we were all tired.

From the very start Pebbles let it be known in no uncertain terms that he WAS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER! With eyes pinning at 300 MPH HE OOZED disgruntled disgust as he lunged and then slammed his beak on his cage bars. He alternated between screaming and fast low gruff mumbling only to scream again. And it was apparent that he wanted nothing to do with me, nothing at all unless you count the tricks he played.

I had memorized Barbara Heidenrich's methods from books and videos. Thought I had it..offer treat he says "awe, ohhhh, mmmmm, then acts as if he's picking out his favorite and before I know it the small offering is flying in all direction and I'm so distracted I slowly began to realize he had latched onto my finger and his beak is tightening...hmmm i want to jerk back but no not supposed to. We are at a stand off. At least his eyes aren't pinning and suddenly he let's go only to release the loudest, longest run of belly laughter i've ever heard from anyone, let alone my boy. Now his treats are offered in a measuring cup. He's fast too and he loves when he can grab it, dump, and laugh. Months later I'm back at the beginning of the training video offering my guy his treats by hand and feeling like a failure at this. Months and months and I am still at the beginning! And worse I could see his side, I was the interloper who must have made Irena hand him over to me, she was crying after all. What evil thing had I done to make him leave the only home he'd ever loved! He blamed me and he wasn't shy about letting it show.

Somewhere in this time the vet came for a visit and his prognosis of his behavior wasn't very encouraging and he went so far to predict that it was because of his personality that he'd become a rescue bird in the first place. I was advised to not expect much improvement. I don't give up. Barbara had advice I had missed...if things are bumpy let your bird set the pace of interaction, if he's being stubborn and churlish, cranky and ill tempered, go ahead and turn your back on him and tell him he has a timeout. fr us timeout stretched into same room, but I'd have to ignore him. This proved to be the only thing that he didn't want me to do, especially if I were engrossed in a computer video or happily singing a song on I tunes. Not one peek in his direction began bringing him closer and closer to see what I was doing. Slow going at first. Then one day he came sliding full speed down the bars of his cage (gimpy foot and all) and landed on my desk right directly in front of the computer monitor peering intently, then slowly turning his head and looking at me he screamed, "WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!" WHEN THE video ended he started his low mumbling, indicating his displeasure. (slowly learning his language and body movements- ty ty ty) so right away i loaded another youtube video and he began trying to help me make it start faster. He watched 2 more and became very over excited, eyes pinning, screaming WOW, and trying to make it comeback on by slamming my key board with his beak and then walking across it. Clearly, this fun was over for the moment but i was so excited, he chose to come by me and happily stood next to me while it was playing,
and actually looked at me when he was talking excitedly. I could just feel him wanting to tell me how cool he thought these videos were. This was a major break through, hanging out with me by his own choice and i was elated.

But the next day under the same circumstances....nothing at all happened. He had no interest and I heard his food go flying (ignore, ignore, ignore) then he climbed to the top and went to the corner furthest away from me and slammed his bullet proof bell against the side of his cage. We made almost zero progress after what I assumed would be our big break thru. Sometimes he took his treats nicely other time he flung them as far away as he could. He was, however, falling in love with my 7 year old daughter who had been on the journey to pick him up. It was her job to keep him hydrated by using a straw and water bottle, he caught on fast. She learned his favorites right away and he never threw them with her. She slowly let me in on her secrets. He loved to chew up old paperbacks and she'd patiently tear out the pages and hand them to him while laying curled up on the flat top of his cage (38 lbs). he only grabbed her tiny finger once and that produced crocodile tears and whimpering and he realized he'd possibly hurt her and definitely hurt her feelings. She made up her own nick name for him "CHUBBY BUBBY" AND HE WAS SOON CALLING THIS NAME AS A WAY TO GET HER TO VISIT. Her best secret was treating him to a piece of her taco, his favorite. Turned out his low mumblings were Spanish words he would repeat over and over. Then one night I was making Tacos and he began screaming convincing her that he wanted some. And boy did he, "Umm, good yum, want some, want some now, umm" Not very good for him but useful in gaining his trust.

I had almost decided he'd be a one person bird, hers. Then one day we were alone in the house and I had the chance to follow advice an animal trainer friend had given me. His cage was always open so I gathered up all kinds of new toys and sat on the ground having a blast playing with them. It took maybe 5 minutes for him to come flying down and soon he began to play with them too. And we played for over an hour. After that day things moved along much better. He came tome easily, and while not a big kisser would offer his beak if asked for a kiss.
And he was in heaven being groomed and loosening his pin feathers, he became cuddly once in a while too sometimes crooning "I love you" . Never in a million years would I have thought he and I would make this kind of progress.

When the vet came for their check ups he couldn't believe Pebbles was the same bird as he watched in awe as my tiny daughter was hugging him, dancing, and he loving it laughed the whole time. I never would have believed we'd reach this point either but it was sure nice. And it did take almost 2 years to gain his love and trust.

Patience, time, trying everything you can think of and your friends too can work wonders for a bird who acts like you are Godzilla.

ASNLXqg1GWSiI8NiXeIDCo_HqT2g.jpeg

Last edited:

AHSAN

Meeting neighbors
His toe went back to normal :) My guess is he didn't have a proper perch to perch on. Now he has a java tree to perch on, and he loves it. It went back to normal within a day of being on his new java tree.

AHSAN

Meeting neighbors
@JosienBB Do you know where to get pine nuts in she'll in the Scarborough area? Also, any other type of nuts Macaws like to eat like Brazil nuts and so on? I bought some pine nuts today but I didnt take into account that they were shelled, until after I got home. Do you think they'll do for now for training.

AHSAN

Meeting neighbors
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw Should I buy a full spectrum bulb for my macaw? I live in Canada, and the short days and long night aren't to far away. I heard they are good for Parrots living in climates with winter.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nothing is as good for your parrot as real unfiltered sunshine. Even when it is bitterly cold outside, you can take your bird outside for 15 min. a few times a week. The outside time is also an emotional boon to your bird.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
The sun is great for you buddy all year. You can actually acclimate your bird gradually so that it can be outside safely during the cold months (within reason of course) for fresh air and sunshine. Macs are capable of withstanding quite cold temperatures (gets approx 40°F where they are from so biologically they have adapted to do live in such temperatures). Just like a dog or horse that has had time to condition their body for cold with winter fur, birds can get extra down and the scales on their feet retain heat. Just acclimate your fid slowly. Take them out for just a little bit each day/evening and soon when it's cold out, your bird will have gradually acclimated itself to the cold weather. That way they are safe and comfortable. Val goes outside year round and has experienced snow. That was funny. If it's below 40°F though, I keep it very brief and/or she wears her hoodie which is kind of fun and it buys us a few extra degrees and minutes outside. Fids can really love being outside...rain shine hot cold....they want to go out. I take Val out after her showers to dry too. It does wonders for their feathers.

IMAG0801.jpg

It was in the 30s when this was taken. January in Ohio. I was outside because I walking to school and she came along.

IMAG0613.jpg

They said I could be anything....so I became a rainbow U2.