• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what's the best way

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What? I hope your joking :jawdrop1:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Lock yourself in a closet for a 1 hour time out. You should be good after that.

drpuckster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Nope I am not if that little scoundrel thinks he owns me he will need to re think again

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was going to add - if you're female take your purse with you and scream into it while in the closet - if male take a briefcase, backpack, you name it, and scream into it in the closet also. Won't kill anything, hopefully will make you feel better and you won't be accused of killing/injuring/maiming/harming a feathered fiend. You have my sympathies ...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Your other option would be to totally ignore him other than to change his food and water, however, having heard more than one caique you might also need earplugs as will your neighbours.

drpuckster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Biting, screaming, maiming other birds to near death, ripping toys, deliberately pooping on me, ripping up mail, ripping of my phone cover, attacking the TV, charging at anyone who walks in the house, you name it

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well sadly, many of these behaviors occur due to how you handled things in the past. If he hurts other birds, he should not be allowed around other birds. He is suppose to rip toys up! That is what toys are for! Birds do not purposely poop on people. Any of the mails, cords tv etc... you have allowed this bird access to therefor damage is done because parrots chew.
Frankly, he does not sound happy there and you don't either. Maybe rehoming would be a better option.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Biting, screaming, maiming other birds to near death, ripping toys, deliberately pooping on me, ripping up mail, ripping of my phone cover, attacking the TV, charging at anyone who walks in the house, you name it
I have 11 caiques and none of them are this neurotic. This is poor management on your part. It may be that you have bitten off more than you can chew, and its time for a rehome.

If you want a SERIOUS attack from a caique. you try punishing him. They do not forget easily.

And it doesn't work anyway, punishment will not modify his beheaviours. That takes patience and knowledge.

JP

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think you should consider rehoming your bird. He is clearly angry and not happy. Something is not right.

He should never be punished. He is a wild animal. In no way should he be expected to behave as a human.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ahem, Jay have you been hacked or drinking. This does not sound like your post from July. If you are to this point already though, there is no harm in conceding that a caique is not for you. Honestly, I think their high energy, demand and intelligence would give anyone a run for their money.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Anytime a bird interacts with a human or another bird it is just that an interaction. The first thing you have to do is change the things in the interaction that you can control. If the interaction is with another bird you will most likely need to prevent interaction between the two birds. If it is with a human then the human has to change what they do and this in turn will cause the bird to change it's behavior. If it is an interaction with an object then you should also just change the environment to avoid the interaction.

The responsibility is on you to facilitate the change. If you would like help there are many resources available. I would start with some reading or other education. You can find a lot of help here Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books

I know how loud a caique can be, heck I know how loud six of them can be. I have six.

I know how hard they can bite, I have one that bites and after a year I haven't fully figured out why. But I rarely get bitten.

I know what a caique can do to another bird, I have two who want to kill at least one of my other birds. Yet they are all still alive, well and we have not needed the emergency vet.

I say this to give you hope that it can be done :)

I have also spent time and energy on learning how to do it. This is a very helpful group if you sincerely want to try. I hope you will :)

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
As the keeper of a Caique and 5 other parrots, I can tell you that they cannot be punished. Anything you do to punish them will be considered reinforcement of the behavior that you find negative and will only compound the issue. If you cannot move yourself or your bird away for awhile to get thru the issue then I can suggest something that really works well for Freya (Our Caique.) And before the flamers fire up their blow torches......hear me thru.....

When Freya is acting really really naughty, we usually try to REDIRECT this behavior some how. For her, the best way to do this is something that stimulates her preening behavior and that is usually in the form of "bathing." That doesn't mean when she is bad she gets water boarded or water cannoned! When she really starts acting out, we can generally take out a spray bottle of water and get her interested in it instead of the negative behavior she is doing. Once she is interested in the water bottle she will generally hold up her wings and fluff her feathers to let us know it is time for a bath. Once we spray her down an bit she usually wants to start surfing around on everything and gets super crazy excited. By the time all of this is over, she preens herself an takes a nap or is calm after all of this. The only downfall to this is her associating what WE feel is negative behavior and starting to do this just to get a bath......

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ahem, Jay have you been hacked or drinking. This does not sound like your post from July.
Well done. This post has been bothering me as well. It is entirely out of character with the previous post