• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

potty tips

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
my hill mynah moby holds in its poop while its outside the cage, sometimes for the whole sessions its outside, maybe for an hour... then when i put it back he lets go?

i'm afraid this is unhealthy for my bird, and i'm confused as to how to potty train the bird if he never poops and i never get to congratulate and reward it once i catch its poop on a piece of tissue paper...

i prefer if moby knows how to poop on a tissue paper.. any advice to newbie... and please don't hold back if you find my comment a bit off... i'm keen to learn :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm not a fan of deliberately training a bird to poop in certain areas because it can cause them physical problems. Some birds will train themselves so we have to be aware and make sure to give them access to where they like to go if they are insistent on their preferred place so they don't 'hold it' too long. I never praise or acknowledge when Ruby poops. I just make sure she has access to where she prefers which means learning her body language and how long between poops. For instance she rarely poops on me anymore unless I forget to put her back on her cage. When she poops on me I don't make a big deal about it. She has her preferred poop areas in and on top of her cage. If she is sitting on the back of a chair she'll poop on the floor so I put a paper towel under her.

Here is an old thread you may find interesting. :)

Potty Training is dangerous | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just bring him to the cage several times an hour, so be can poop :)

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
Just bring him to the cage several times an hour, so be can poop :)
Yes, thanks was thinking the same thing... now i just got to watch and see how often he poops before I bring him out so I know when to bring him into the cage, i'll be sure not to acknowledge too so he doesn't poop on my command

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A small bird will probably go poop every 15-20 mins.

My large guys poop atleast once a half hour.

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
everything going well i bring him to poop on top of the cage, my floor is clean, i just bring him every 15-20 min like you said and wait without saying anything, then he flies back to me... or i bring him back to where i was..., very naughty bird though... almost like a raven just not as bad... likes to watch videos with me on my handphone... i find that surprising.