• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potty Training is dangerous

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I was ignorant of the fact that teaching your parrot to go potty on command is physically dangerous to your bird. Thank goodness John noticied my thread on training and alerted me to the danger of cloacal prolapse with this practice. I'll never ask my birds to "go Potty" again.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
It can be dangerous, glad to hear John and AA made a difference.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The reason I posted that was because Tika's previous owner had potty trained him and I thought it was great until I noticed that when I asked him to take a poop he would sit there and strain to take one even if he did not have to. I didn't like that. I asked my vet who filled me in on the dangers. She had seen many patients with cloacal problems because of it. That was the last time I ever "asked" him to take a poop. He will still try if I ask after all this time. :(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Wow!! Thanks for sharing. I would have never thought about that.:hug8:

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I think responsible potty training has more to do with training the people than the birds. It's not about asking them to go when they don't need to but making sure we know when they need to go and being sure we provide them with an appropriate spot/area to do it when THEY need to go. I have never asked my birds to go when they didn't already have to. Watch for their signs of preparing to go and move them to a spot that is appropriate - that's the potty traing we use - train the people, not the bird.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are other dangers associated with it as well:

...although it is possible to train a parrot to defecate on verbal command, this method is dangerous. Occasionally, a bird may be so eager to please that it will incur life-threatening kidney damage waiting for that verbal command. This becomes an issue if the owner is ill or injured or must go out of town. A forgotten instruction to command the bird to defecate has proved fatal on at least one documented occasion (Athan 50).
from Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Rather than training to poop on command, is there a way to train NOT to poop in a designated area (e.g. on me)?

Lex123

For me, I don't see a reason to potty train. They do make bird diapers though! you can find them in every size at birddiaper.com

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have never done anything to potty train my birds. Tango never poos on anyone. When he has to go he will fly back to his play area and go. He started this all on his own. Jasper doesnt care where he is when he has to go though :) I have trained my self to watch for the signs and try to at least move him so he goes on the floor and not me. Easier to wipe up the wood floor then wash it off my clothes :)

emilybsharp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Emily
my birds used to go on me, but they trained themselfs not to, now they fly off, go potty and come right back. i know they are just waiting for me to stop checking my clothes before i go out, so when i stop checking they will get me and i will have a big poo on LOL

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I've always said it was dangerous I've seen so many birds refuse to poop in their cage at all because they're trained just to go poop in a certain spot

But when those owners have to work 12-14 hrs and no one is there to let the bird out to go poop its just holding it and holding it - that isn't good

I know its not good for humans (my kids cousin did it as a child and kept getting bacterial infections from holding it and it really messed her insides up she had to have a few surgeries to correct it) IF it can do that to a human WHAT is it doing to a bird? or even a dog who has to hold it?

When ever any one asked for opinions on Potty training I always try to get them not to do it. because of all the health issues it can and eventually will cause.

the way i see it, its just bird poop Get a tissue/paper towel/rag what ever and wipe it off . I never care when one of our birds poop on me or my furniture it cleans up Very easily - and it cleans up a lot easier than dog poop! :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rather than training to poop on command, is there a way to train NOT to poop in a designated area (e.g. on me)?
I think it's definitely possible to reinforce the behaviour that you want. When they do "poop" where you want them to poop.. you can demonstrate that you're pleased by praising etc... This may encourage them to repeat the behaviour in order to receive the same attention again.:hehe:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
train the people, not the bird.
Absolutely.

There sure is. No training required. As I said in the other thread. Parrots need to raise their tails to poop. All you need to do is hold their tail down until you can move them to an appropriate spot and then let them raise their tail. They won't/can't poop as long as their tail is down.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I think it's definitely possible to reinforce the behaviour that you want. When they do "poop" where you want them to poop.. you can demonstrate that you're pleased by praising etc... This may encourage them to repeat the behaviour in order to receive the same attention again.:hehe:
Thanks Saemma :)

There sure is. No training required. As I said in the other thread. Parrots need to raise their tails to poop. All you need to do is hold their tail down until you can move them to an appropriate spot and then let them raise their tail. They won't/can't poop as long as their tail is down.
Thanks John! How about for situations though where perhaps your bird likes to hang out on your shoulder so you can't necessarily observe the movement of the tail? Is there a way to train them that pooping on the shoulder is a no-no?

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I have been pooped on 5 times today...not a great clothes day. :rofl:

whiskeygirl

Meeting neighbors
My Eclectus doesn't poop on people either. When he was young and pooped on me, just me saying "ohh nooo" and having to get up and change must have had some affect on him, like he realized that I didn't like that. Also, every 15-20 mins i would put him on the perch and tell him to go and he would. I'm glad I read this thread because I don't want him to go on command, but rather to continue to fly off of me and to his perch to go as he does now. I won't tell him to go anymore, but will continue to put him on his perch if he is on me too long without saying anything. Thanks everyone.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
You all have some birds with couth.......I am jealous my birds have none of that. :lol:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
You all have some birds with couth.......I am jealous my birds have none of that. :lol:

your not alone my birds poop on us all the time and I just don't care I go to the store with dried poo down my shirt - It's just a trip to the store nothing fancy LOL if people don't like it they really don't have to look at me at all :rofl:

drop

I have hear many horror stories too, one of which in particular stuck with me because the bird strained itself without even being intentionally cued to do so. It just goes to show what can happen. It was a Cockatoo whom the owners had trained to poop before he was picked up. As time passed he got out less, and whenever someone passed the cage, he would lift his foot and poop, because he wanted to be picked up so badly. He eventually strained himself into a prolaspe.

As for my birds, before they poop they kind of make a slight backing up motion which I can feel even if I can't see them, so that is my cue.

Last edited:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
My guy does not like to poo in his cage and will hold it until it is a very large one! Worries me because they are like the morning one he holds sometimes. Is there maybe something wrong with him?