• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent non urgent-just got bird and her toes are falling off

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
You sound very determined to keep Jenny well and safe now. She is lucky to have someone so committed to her. Keep us updated on her condition.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
So glad she is receiving the care she needs. I hope your little one is feeling better soon. :hug8:

Coki

Avenue Veteran
I hate so much when irresponsable breeders do that kind of things. I mean it's worse than pet stores...i'm not quite sure how things are in the USA, but here in Argentina pet stores have (Well, most of them) their birds in horrible conditions. No perches, dirty food, dirty water (if any). But if you call a breeder you do so because you want a guarantee your pet is going to be fine (almost like a pedigree), but when people sell you a bird with health issueas, and ones as big as the one your bird is having....that person doesn't deserve to be called a "responsable breeder", i highly recommend you to give names, so people don't get tamed.

But i'm really happy you got your bird and now she's on better hands, i hope she gets better, and even though you lost money, i'm sure you'll feel really good when you get the chance to help her. I hope she gets better.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How's your baby this morning? Are you giving her meds by syringe or is it in her water. If your giving by syringe, two people work out better, one to hold her and one to give meds. You can wrap her up gently but firmly in a towel. Take you time and go slow when you administer them and don't be surprised if she flings it out. Be patient and she will get the gist of it. Also your baby is now a handicapped fid, in which case a couple of platform perches and fat rope perches will make her life much more comfortable than just wooden dowel perches.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending good thoughts that Jenny's foot heals quickly.

scheri1254

Sitting on the front steps
Jenny seems to be fine eating this morning. I had to lower her food and water for her but she started eating right away. She still has her bandage on. I am surprised because she has been messing with it. The collar does not seem to work all that well. I gave her medicine she took it well. She is a champ. I will get her some new perches thanks for the information I need all the help I can get.

scheri1254

WOW I have a lot to think about to get her the right things. Hope I don't mess up. Again thanks for everything. I needed the help and still do.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I realize she has a bandaged foot but birds are pretty adaptable. She will learn to perch and climb. They use their beak and other foot to climb around so don't clutter the sides with toys which would block her travel highway. You did great lowering the food and water Platform perches work well and many of us have them. Go to the market place and you will find a variety of vendors. They have wonderful things. You can buy a wire parakeet platform and just cover the wire up with padding (wash cloth etc) and that would work temporarily. I love grape vine perches. Get one with two branches or one branch and part going up. The bird perches better on the irregular branch and can straddle the double part leaning their tail on the back branch. She can also perch with the bad foot and hold onto the upward part of the branch with the good foot. She is young and will learn how to work around the changes in her foot.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
How is she doing?

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Glad to hear she is doing well

scheri1254

I took off her bandage and she has lost her last toe. I am so upset that this has happened to her. She has a forever home but I am still unsure of the best way to make her life great, but I will do my best

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Birds are very adaptable, she is very young. :) Marlene already posted a link to the special needs thread, so never fear, you are not alone! I'm sure she will amaze you every day with how she leads a normal healthy life. :heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She will do well and surprise you. Our special needs babies hold very special places in our hearts and I am sure Jenny will do the same all the while surprising you. I am glad she landed with you so that she received vetting and care that she deserved. I agree, pictures please.

scheri1254

:hug8: Jenny is doing well she seems to fall a lot when she is moving to fast. I am buying her a larger cage so I can put better perches in it for her. Her favorite thing to do is be very close to me, so she can keep her balance. She just mumbles when she is relaxed. It is so funny to hear. She bathed herself today for the first time since I got her. She is putting what is left of her foot down now. So I don't think she is in as much pain as she was. She lets me grab her with no problem, because she can't step up. I will put up pics as soon as I can figure out how. Thanks to everyone again for all the help.
:hug8: